Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Official Kenwood DDX512 thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:47 PM
katdadi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Albumart suddenly stopped showing on my screen

My ipod album art all of a sudden stopped showing up on my screen. Every now and then one will show. Has anybody else had this problem or have a solution? I have the Kenwood ddx512.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
siruis

How do you do the bypass to watch dvd's while driving? I got my Kenwood unit and installing it this weekend, so any help would be awesome!!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:14 PM
katdadi

How do you stop the kenwood splash on the ddx512 from showing so radio starts faster? Is there a way to make radio come on faster because mine takes 13 seconds to start after I start car.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:42 PM
siruis

Does anyone have sirius connected to their 512? I just installed mine, and i had the scc1 tuner and the cable for kenwood video, but i dont see how to access kenwood anywhere on the HU. If one of the cables came lose would it not appear at all? THe instruction shows that under setup there should be something for sirius but dont see it.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:50 PM
zettahertz

i notice the album art significantly slows down the response or something. >< And to enable DVD when moving, ground the brake wire (forgot what it is exactly)?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Arubiccube

Just got my kenwood installed and this thing is ****ing amazing! Although i figured most of the functions out, theres one thing i cant seem to quite get.
First of all, when i play music of my ipod by going to Artist and when i select it an artist you must select one of the Albums to play music. Is there any way to play through all the albums instead of having to switch to another album like you would be able to on the Ipod?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Arubiccube
Just got my kenwood installed and this thing is ****ing amazing! Although i figured most of the functions out, theres one thing i cant seem to quite get.
First of all, when i play music of my ipod by going to Artist and when i select it an artist you must select one of the Albums to play music. Is there any way to play through all the albums instead of having to switch to another album like you would be able to on the Ipod?
When you select the Artist, there should be a the little triangular 'play' symbol next to the artist name. Hit that button and it should start playing all of the music by that artists. What I'm not sure about here is what order it plays the songs.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 AM
RSX8600

I scratched/nicked my screen in the middle somehow, so i saw i can get a replacement touch screen panel for 55 new. I was just wondering if any of you guys had a problem with scratching there touch screen etc. and end up change there touch screen panel??? Thanks for any help
Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 PM
andy_meng1024

Does anyone know if the ddx512/514 support other languages? I'm planning on buying one soon and want to know if it can display Chinese/Korean/Japanese like the iPhone does. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
crZydave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got an iPhone (yeah a little late, I know) so I got the newest iPod cable (KCA-iP301V) and hooked it up to the 512. This thing is pretty sweet. Not only can I watch movies from my phone now, I can pause a mp3 and stream internet radio over the 3G network. I play slacker.com and pandora.com with no problems. I just canceled my Sirius account because why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by sry110
Well I didn't take step by step photos but I did before and after, and I have to say this unit looks right at home in the Z! Did the install yesterday, took me probably 4-5 hours all together because I had to take the car apart to find where Tweeter had installed my Sirius tuner box, where all the cables were run, etc.

Before: Alpine CDA-9857

After: Kenwood DDX512

I pulled the USB connection up into the cubby so that I can disconnect the iPod cable and easily connect a thumb drive if I ever need to.

I haven't had much time to play with this thing but so far I like it for its iPod capability. I must say though that I think its CD player function is a bit off. I put in one CD and it started playing it at the very end of track 1, then when it started playing track 2 it still called it track 1. When I skip from track to track it takes me to somewhere in the middle of the next track. So far it's only that one CD. Then another CD it starts each track about 0.5 to 1 second into the music, so I miss the very first note / beat. So far those are the only two discs that I have noticed that problem, but I guess it bums me out because a $40 discman could play them no problem. I then updated the firmware to version 1.4.0 (latest version) and it did not take care of the problem.

DVD playback is ok, although I had trouble figuring out how to start playing the movie from the main menu. I ended up hitting the FNC button on the left which brings up the playback controls, and then I had to hit a couple of buttons to get it to play. Maybe I need to read the manual on that one, but I assumed the controls would be more intuitive.

I used the Metra 2006 Z double DIN trim kit and in my opinion it looks pretty decent. I know some guys on here modified the OEM radio mounting brackets by slotting the holes so they could get the head unit to sit farther in, but I just left them as-is and mounted the thing. As you can see in the photos the sides of the unit protrude beyond the console while the middle is just about flush. I actually prefer this because a) the sides don't stick out that far, and b) now I don't have to look at a gap/step between the bottom center of the screen and the console.

I didn't buy the correct Sirius box so I'll have to take it all apart again and install that soon. Best Buy goons didn't stop me when I was buying the old version sirius interface box along with this new kenwood unit, so again it proves to me that I need to do every last bit of research before I go buy this stuff.

So overall I am happy with this unit, and it's definitely nice to be able to match the Z's dash lighting, the girlfriend likes that feature. I'll post again if I have any more comments / criticism.

EDIT - Sorry for the blurry pictures, I'm using an old 4 megapixel in addition with having no photography skills.

Thank god you posted this! Because I saw the first few pictures without the little cubby door on top of the unit, and thought it made the dash look so ugly. Now I know I can get this installed without having to remove that. Where did you get it installed? Or did you do it yourself?

Last edited by MikeBit; 11-16-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
davidz33

Originally Posted by andy_meng1024
Does anyone know if the ddx512/514 support other languages? I'm planning on buying one soon and want to know if it can display Chinese/Korean/Japanese like the iPhone does. Thanks.
I have DDX512 and it does not show East Asian languages. Actually, it does show them but only in question marks... ??????? ?? ??? ?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by MikeBit
Thank god you posted this! Because I saw the first few pictures without the little cubby door on top of the unit, and thought it made the dash look so ugly. Now I know I can get this installed without having to remove that. Where did you get it installed? Or did you do it yourself?
Wow, haven't checked this thread in quite a while! It's probably not relevant anymore, but I installed it myself. Already had an aftermarket stereo system put in so all the infrastructure was there, just had to connect this HU to the existing harness and RCA cables.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
sry110

Has anyone here been able to get their ddx512 to work with iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4? Specifically, I have a 3GS phone running the OS4 operating system. Is there a firmware update and/or newer cable available to make it work?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:03 PM
justin111

were is it that you can get the replacement screens at