Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Quick Amp Question in 2008 Base

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
BPS2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Amp Question in 2008 Base

I know the Bose system has an amp, but I have a 2008 BASE 350z. Although the DIY Avic-D3 guide looks pretty easy, but I'm more comfortable having the pros do it (not a good solderer!). Anyways, I got quoted for the install of the Avic-D3 in my BASE '08 and he said that there is a "small amp" that needs to be wired up, so its going to be a lot more than he first thought.. roughly $250-300 if all goes well... Just wanted to know, do '08 Base models even have an amp? The DIY on here looked pretty damn simple.. I may just DIM if it will save me that much money.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 PM
lukep90

i dont know about the 08, but i really dont think so.

and diy. definately. took me about 4-5 hours, and i learned a ton about my car...
Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Lsmith9523

I have an 06 base and there was no "small amp". The only amp I know of in the base that needs to be wired is the power antenna amp which you accomplish using the wire harness. I cannot speak for the 08's. Sorry for not being much help but sure some others will chime in and help. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Lsmith9523

+1 on doing it yourself. There is nothing to it really,,,just follow the step by step guide here and you will be fine. Post up some photos when you get your new D3 installed. Congrats.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
BPS2007

Originally Posted by Lsmith9523
+1 on doing it yourself. There is nothing to it really,,,just follow the step by step guide here and you will be fine. Post up some photos when you get your new D3 installed. Congrats.
Totally man. I'm all about DIY.. I did some DIY in my old malibu back in the day and it really made my car unique... it was fun!

But, this is my first brand new car and I'm still in the babying phase I guess (willing to pay the pros to do it). The guy in town does really good jobs, and his prices are always lower than anyone else around. I think he might be pulling my leg on saying that there is a "small amp" that needs to be wired, because at first he said it would be a cake walk, around $60-100, but he took a while to call me back and that was when he said that there is actually the amp that needs to be wired, and he threw the price up to "at least $250."

I'm sure this guy is legit and does great work, but him knowing that I just got a brand new '08 and I now want him to perform an easy install (only Avic-D3), he could be taking advantage of the fact that I'm not short on cash.

If I can have someone verify about the amp, then I can let him know that there isn't an amp that needs to be wired, which would make the price more reasonable, otherwise, I'll be considering DIY...
Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 PM
ColoradoClark

He is either referring to the antenna, as mentioned, or he thinks you have a Bose. If he's really that good he should be open to answering questions about what he means. it sounds silly to say it, but remember that HE is working for YOU: you control the situation.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 AM
Lsmith9523

+1 my friend. I am not trying to lead you in a certain direction. Your installer should be willing to explain what he means by "small amp that needs to be wired". As mentioned above,,he either thinks you have the Bose system, (which has an small amp), or he referring to the power Antenna amp. He should have no problem explaining to "you" what he means. Don't forget,,its your NEW 08,,,not his.

Also,,I cannot imagine $250 to install an D3. Not to bash anyone,,but that is totally ridiculous. If you were located close to me,,,,I would do it for you for a "chicken on the barbie" dinner from Outback steakhouse..LOL I think if you took your time and read the how to's here,,,you would be able to do this yourself with no problems. Good luck and if you have any questions,,,we are here to help.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 AM
BPS2007

Originally Posted by ColoradoClark
He is either referring to the antenna, as mentioned, or he thinks you have a Bose. If he's really that good he should be open to answering questions about what he means. it sounds silly to say it, but remember that HE is working for YOU: you control the situation.
Totally, man. I'll be contacting him later today to try to get things worked out.. it sounds like he just might think I have bose because I don't remember telling him my model (Base).

Originally Posted by Lsmith9523
Also,,I cannot imagine $250 to install an D3. Not to bash anyone,,but that is totally ridiculous. If you were located close to me,,,,I would do it for you for a "chicken on the barbie" dinner from Outback steakhouse..LOL I think if you took your time and read the how to's here,,,you would be able to do this yourself with no problems. Good luck and if you have any questions,,,we are here to help.
Well it's good to hear that his estimate sounds pretty exaggerated, because just the H/U without an amp should be cheap if it fits smoothly right into the double din slot of the Z. Should just be an easy swap, right?

I'll let you know if I decide to just follow the DIY on here... I'll make a thread w/ pics and I'll post any questions I may have if I get stuck!

Thanks again for the responses, guys.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Lsmith9523

BPS2000, all you will need to install the headunit is the factory brackets off the OEM headunit,,,the metra dashkit/wire harness. It is a direct fit. You can actually wire the wireharness/pioneer harness outside the vehicle,,so when you get to the install,,all you have to do is plug the harness into oem plugs, and pioneer harness into back of headunit. Dont forget, while you are back there,,connect any ipod cables, ect. ect. That way,,you dont have to take it apart again and reinstall everything. I hope this helps...Good luck