Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Go to Circuit City at your own risk!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
xdrius
ZL33PR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go to Circuit City at your own risk!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/31/m...s-install-gon/
Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 PM
cbr900son

wow... Can't imagine how they screwed stuff up that badly.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a HONDA, why is he crying????

Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
JSDZ33

his civic si got pwned!!! im wondering how it could really be worth 12K in damage though???
Old 04-02-2008, 05:02 AM
r0csfinest

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard

sounds like they can total his car from the damages
Old 04-02-2008, 05:08 AM
clarkemtp

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard

And, your point is? We drive "just a Nissan".

While I definitely feel for the guy and I certainly question his decision at having the install done at Circuit City, ultimately the fact remains that CC advertises and provides this service. If they caused damage to his vehicle due to their employee's negligence and/our failure to exercise due diligence while acting as an agent of Circuit City, the corporation is liable. His problem is it's going to cost him to persue them.

Sad story. I feel bad for the guy. Anyone else saying "it's just a Honda", about his brand new pride and joy, I hope you slam your finger in the car door today.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

i wouldn't ever take any car to a best buy or any big box retailer for that matter.

Best Buy messed up my car when I was 16 and caused $250 worth of repairs, should I start a blog about it?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 AM
cbr900son

Originally Posted by MrKaira
i wouldn't ever take any car to a best buy or any big box retailer for that matter.

Best Buy messed up my car when I was 16 and caused $250 worth of repairs, should I start a blog about it?
Yes and make sure there are noodz!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 AM
jdmteg2nv

Well in defense all CC's are not like that I work at 0863 in the install bay and have never done anything of that sort...I mean hot glue to hold in a spkr..lol...
Old 04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
seekndestroy19

Originally Posted by jdmteg2nv
Well in defense all CC's are not like that I work at 0863 in the install bay and have never done anything of that sort...I mean hot glue to hold in a spkr..lol...
+1 i used to work at 3671 in jersey and never did anything stupid like that. It all depends on who does the work. I know there are alot of circuit citys out there that have sh*t installers and they should be fired but circuit city does not care enough to do that. As for the 12k repair job, thats just the dealership taking advantage of the situation duhhhh

Last edited by seekndestroy19; 04-02-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Originally Posted by JSDZ33
his civic si got pwned!!! im wondering how it could really be worth 12K in damage though???
improper wiring can blow a couple of ECM's, can even blow the ECU
Old 04-02-2008, 03:32 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe this kind of stuff isnt limited to just CC or BB or big box, many smaller independent shops arent much better, i have seen, heard and FIXED enough of these types of installs to know hehe

but i think that dealer is also getting in on the action trying ot make a prety buck

b
Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
hehe this kind of stuff isnt limited to just CC or BB or big box, many smaller independent shops arent much better, i have seen, heard and FIXED enough of these types of installs to know hehe

but i think that dealer is also getting in on the action trying ot make a prety buck

b
I watched the link to the guy's video from the dealership. Serious question.

I have seen your work posted on here, and we all know you do quality work. However, what type of measures do you have in place for your business if something like this happens?
I know you are capable inside a car, but just in case you have a guy with an Enzo, and you make a minor mistake with the wiring which ends up doing some minor damage, it could end up costing a few thousand on an expensive car.

I would hope you would do the logical thing and make it right before the customer finds out, which is what CC should have done. Tell the guy there is a hold up and the management bring a professional in to recover the work. But they let it go, then removed the equipment and returned the car in worse condition, and then corporate dumps the issue on the owner!

But do you have workmanship insurance?? The same could be said about plumbing, or electrical work... they have some type of assurity.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
seekndestroy19

plus there is no way it costs 12k for repair work. The car starts at $21,000 brand new 2008 model. No way the repair work is half of what the car goes for brand new out of the stealership. INSURANCE FRAUD!!!!!!

Last edited by seekndestroy19; 04-02-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:40 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
I watched the link to the guy's video from the dealership. Serious question.

I have seen your work posted on here, and we all know you do quality work. However, what type of measures do you have in place for your business if something like this happens?
I know you are capable inside a car, but just in case you have a guy with an Enzo, and you make a minor mistake with the wiring which ends up doing some minor damage, it could end up costing a few thousand on an expensive car.

I would hope you would do the logical thing and make it right before the customer finds out, which is what CC should have done. Tell the guy there is a hold up and the management bring a professional in to recover the work. But they let it go, then removed the equipment and returned the car in worse condition, and then corporate dumps the issue on the owner!

But do you have workmanship insurance?? The same could be said about plumbing, or electrical work... they have some type of assurity.

I do have an insurance plan, buts its not all that good, compared to the one i had when i had a full shop...as far as messing up cars go...to be honest, if you know your limits, pic the right cars, and pay attention, you should NEVER have a foul up as big as that.

in 5 years, the biggest mess up i have ever committed is along hte lines of broken panel, whcih i of course replaced right way, and is a 90 dollar part. thats it...to make a mistake like that, wiring related espeically, should NEVER happen. I know personally good installers, that have gone for DECADES with a similar record. in the end, you have to be comfotable working on a car, if you feel that you are not up to it, or dont know it well or think you may screw thigns up, dont take on the car. i for one, wouldnt take on an enzo anyway

a good installer should be amred with several things before even cuttig a wire:

1. full wiring codes, accurate and up to date

2. resarch, whether thorugh talking to others or online, if hes never done the car

3. full array of test tools, such as test light, multimeter

4. paitience and skill level.

with those four things, i dont see how anyone can make a "mistake" like that, its one thing to mistakenly bust a panel, its quite another to "mistakenly" screw up wiring or "mistakenly" fry an ECU or "mistakenly" drill through the gas tank. those are not mistakes, those are just due to lack of one, or all of those four things.

its the same way with any kind of work, say mechanical stuff on a car, you can make mistakes certainly, but would you call say forgetting to put oil in a car, or forgetting to put lugnuts on...honest mistakes?

Last edited by 16psibrick; 04-02-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Ichigo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMhUhJmBStg

Yeah a couple of hacked wiring harness's dont add up to 12k. Now that hacked up duct work behind the radio must add a few sheckles, but still falls short of half the value of the vehicle. I call shenanigans.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:53 PM
snaponbrian

I also worked at a CC. $12k is unbelievable. We often had to do custom installations that should of been done by higher trained professionals. But honestly, I wouldn't right off going there. For many people I would recommend them, b/c of this insurance policy they have. If you bought a brand new $30k car with crap speakers I would sometimes rather them take off the doors. Let it be known to the installer if there is one scratch thats their azz

Newer cars that keep coming out are making it more and more difficult to install aftermarket A/V. Most new Mazdas you can't do jack...

that guy in video sounds like d-bag...."putting my friends, family and clients in danger"..omg

Last edited by snaponbrian; 04-02-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by snaponbrian
that guy in video sounds like d-bag...."putting my friends, family and clients in danger"..omg
I'd be pissed to driving around since June like that because CC hung me out to dry....

Didn't CC lay off 4,300 people this time last year because they were being paid too much, and then they replaced them with lower wage workers....
Old 04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
snaponbrian

TheProfessional: I'd be pissed to driving around since June like that because CC hung me out to dry....

Didn't CC lay off 4,300 people this time last year because they were being paid too much, and then they replaced them with lower wage workers....

yea I know some people I worked with a few years ago got downsized. It was messed up. The manager basically went from a guy getting paid $50,000 + bonuses a year. To what ever kid held onto his job the longest after being a seasonal hire. Now that I think about it they prob aren't worth a crap now.

dude still was being dramatic...I'm sure things will get handled for him.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by snaponbrian
yea I know some people I worked with a few years ago got downsized. It was messed up. The manager basically went from a guy getting paid $50,000 + bonuses a year. To what ever kid held onto his job the longest after being a seasonal hire. Now that I think about it they prob aren't worth a crap now.

dude still was being dramatic...I'm sure things will get handled for him.
Circuit City reminds me of Service Merchandise during the period of decline before they closed the doors... I worked for SM and by nothing more than perseverance, I went from an hourly cashier, to selling jewelry, to selling loose stones in trunk shows, then finally to selling digital/SLR cameras and traveling the region to teach people how all within 6 months.

Quick Reply: Go to Circuit City at your own risk!