Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Avic-D3 Installed... but not 100%

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 AM
BPS2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avic-D3 Installed... but not 100%

Yeah so I had the avic-d3 professionally installed (yeah I know I shoulda done it myself cuz its so easy, I'm a newb moron jackass, whatever). It went into a 2008 base model, and even though I told him I wanted the bypass done, he ended up putting a switch in which acts as the e-brake wiring. So you think, OK, just put the switch ON and I'm all set, right? Nope... apparently the D3 shuts off VIDEO of the DVD, but maintains AUDIO of the DVD once I hit 5mph... he said that I need to download a firmware or software thing to a CD-R and upload that to the D3 to get rid of that... Also, my GPS icon doesn't run smoothly along the screen; it sorta hops/lags instead of a nice constant motion. Anyone have any ideas/steps I should take next to get this unit working 100%?

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

search bypass on AVIC411.com

and do the bypass yourself....
as for the gps arrow lagging that sounds to be something with the VSS wire not connected properly....he probably has it connected to something else thats not the vss wire in the z?

- j
Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the d3 is a TWO wire bypass, he only did one of the wires.

b
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 AM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
the d3 is a TWO wire bypass, he only did one of the wires.

b
What he said. The traditional grounding the e-brake wire isn't enough.
From Avic411:
'1. Remove the yellow and black mute wire.
2. Place the Mute wire in the slot directly above where you removed it from.
3. Using a wire tap (radio shack 10 for $5) connect the mute wire to the ground.
4. Using the wire tap (that is already attached to the parking break wire/green wire) attach it to the ground wire as well.
5. GROUND the BLACK WIRE....AKA GROUND DUH! ENJOY!'

Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 AM
BPS2007

man I'm pissed that this guy didn't do this ****ing thing right.. it seems like the easiest install in the world, I just didn't want to do it because I'd rather just pay a professional to do it because I'm afraid that I'll mess something up...
Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You live and you learn, it's all good we've all been there before.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:07 AM
BPS2007

Think I should ask the guy who worked on it to do some rework, or should I pay somebody else to put another set of hands in there? I'm sure I could do it, but I don't have much time to be fiddling around with this stuff right now.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It doesn't sound like you have anyone in your area that you really trust to do audio work on your car. Not saying there aren't any in your area it just seems that you aren't aware of them if they exist. You can risk taking it to someone else who may make things worse or you can take an hour out of your schedule to do it yourself the way you want it done and with such care that you know no one else would put into your car but yourself...

...or you can ship it to Bing for an entire overhaul.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Ichigo

Your lucky a professional installer even tried to wire a by-pass.

Lets say your cruising down the road and you slam into someone while your trying to plot your destination.... horrible scenario but bear with me. You then file a lawsuit against the shop that "bypass'd your Nav lockout". Even though you asked them to do it, they are still liable.

Bypassing safety measures are a big no no for a shop. These requests and installing remote starts on manuals were always turned away from the shop I worked at

I never understood why people want to watch video while they drive. PLEASE be safe.

Last edited by Ichigo; 04-06-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:52 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ ditto

you are lucky to find him to do it for y ou...the only reason i think bypassing is good is becuase it doesnt lock you out of all the NAV features onc you start moving. i think anyone who drives and watches a DVD should not be on the road. I wish there is a bypass that only takes care of the nav features.

but honetsly, i wouldnt say your installer screwed up, just uinformed perhaps...just have him do it.

b
Old 04-06-2008, 03:47 PM
BPS2007

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Your lucky a professional installer even tried to wire a by-pass.

Lets say your cruising down the road and you slam into someone while your trying to plot your destination.... horrible scenario but bear with me. You then file a lawsuit against the shop that "bypass'd your Nav lockout". Even though you asked them to do it, they are still liable.

Bypassing safety measures are a big no no for a shop. These requests and installing remote starts on manuals were always turned away from the shop I worked at

I never understood why people want to watch video while they drive. PLEASE be safe.
True, true. I don't have an urge to watch a movie when I drive at all, I guess it's more for the passenger/on-the-go navigation features that I would like to be able to access. Like today I got lost down in Newton, MA while I was visiting my Nana's; had to pull over on the mass pike and stop so I could make a route. I don't think people really watch a movie and drive at the same time do they?

Back to the original topic: So does anyone else agree that the GPS problem is most likely a faulty hook-up of the VSS wire?
Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM
BPS2007

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
It doesn't sound like you have anyone in your area that you really trust to do audio work on your car. Not saying there aren't any in your area it just seems that you aren't aware of them if they exist. You can risk taking it to someone else who may make things worse or you can take an hour out of your schedule to do it yourself the way you want it done and with such care that you know no one else would put into your car but yourself...

...or you can ship it to Bing for an entire overhaul.
Yep, I think I'm just going to do it all myself... I'm 15 minutes away from Wicked Cas, but when I made an appointment last week the guy on the phone asked me if I could "bring in instructions on how to do the bypass".. I guess I'll just save a few bucks and do what needs to be done. Carefully...