Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Dynamatting for loud exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by lukep90
chortik, i know where you are coming from, but i would rather have a dead quiet ride, which i can roll the windows down to hear the fierce growl, rather than being subject to it (as well as road noise) the whole time. i didnt spend upwards of a thousand dollars on audio equipment to go to waste...
I agree. You can have the best of both worlds if you correctly install sound deadening.

Of course if your main focus is the track, there's no reason to bother with this.

--Spike
Old 04-24-2008, 07:01 PM
blackz123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmmmmm is there a point to dynamating the roof and the floor under the seats or is tht stuff pretty much solid??
Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 PM
z32-z33

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chortik2
ok... wow... this is a 350z... the exhaust is nothing less than beautiful and thrilling... when i know im about to floor it, i make sure my windows and top are down, as well as music off so i can hear my exhaust fully... it sends chills down my spine everytime...
i couldnt imagine why anyone would ever want to deaden the sound of his/her exhaust... im glad im a guy cause a chub i could deal with, if i was a chick im sure my leather wouldve been ruined by now... (if u dont get it than ur an idiot..)
i understand this forum is "how to deaden ur exhaust" and all... but i really have to know why would you ever want to!!! =[

this car was made to be driven... like really driven, and anyone who can appreciate that should also appreciates its exhaust... the voice of the car if you will...

all i gotta say is dont do it man... be proud wen ur duals roar.. be proud lol...
I'm just curious, have you ever been in a Z that drones like crazy? Drive a Z with a single exhaust and y-pipe for 45 mins on the freeway, and then you'll understand why some people here want to sound deaden their Z's. Don't get me wrong i love the way my exhaust sounds, but it drones way too much in the cabin.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackz123
hmmmmmmm is there a point to dynamating the roof and the floor under the seats or is tht stuff pretty much solid??
If you want the most benefit, the floor for sure. Not sure I'd do the roof.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ok... wow... this is a 350z... the exhaust is nothing less than beautiful and thrilling... when i know im about to floor it, i make sure my windows and top are down, as well as music off so i can hear my exhaust fully... it sends chills down my spine everytime...
i couldnt imagine why anyone would ever want to deaden the sound of his/her exhaust... im glad im a guy cause a chub i could deal with, if i was a chick im sure my leather wouldve been ruined by now... (if u dont get it than ur an idiot..)
i understand this forum is "how to deaden ur exhaust" and all... but i really have to know why would you ever want to!!! =[

this car was made to be driven... like really driven, and anyone who can appreciate that should also appreciates its exhaust... the voice of the car if you will...

all i gotta say is dont do it man... be proud wen ur duals roar.. be proud lol...
To not get annoyed on a 3 hour drive.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

+1... Very good point.

An annoying and constant drone adds fatigue when in the car during extended periods.

--Spike
Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 PM
chortik2

am sayin is i love the way exhaust sounds =]
the noise, the feel of the rumble... i love it lol

but as i also said, to each his own....
Old 04-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Pete's 03SVT

Like someone else said, if I feel like hearing the exhaust, the windows go down. I put so much Dynamat in that with the windows up my car sounds stock, and with them down it almost sounds like it has straight pipes.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM
blackz123

hmm is 1 layer enough or should i go with 2 or 3 layers in the trunk?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:06 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

As much as you can afford....

I think the best results have been with multiple types of dampening material. i.e. standard material followed by some foam rubber (eDead V4 I think is like that) topped by another layer.

But remember that just doing the trunk won't give you the results you want, no matter how many layers are put on.

FWIW- I found the biggest difference while driving around without a spare or subs or amps was to put the stock carpet back on. I think because of the rubber mat and top sheet.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:23 PM
blackz123

well i used hushmat ultra so far 50ft or so yea

the trunk hatch and now im doing ht einner cubbys and all of the rear strut stabalizer and ****

its pretty thick and good stufff and i barley get drone after 1 layer thts all i can afford for now

im gonna need to buy another 10ft or so... so i can finish the doors but im still debating if i should buy mayb 20 instead of 10 and do the floor also

and i dnt seea reason to do the roof so yea aha
Old 04-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Watkins

This past weekend I finished sound/rattle deadening my car. I used 70 feet of B-quiet ultimate, 10 yards of jute, a gallon of Edead V3 and 20 feet of felt tape. My car is very quiet now.