Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

iPod iTrip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Zaph32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod iTrip?

Has anyone tried an iPod iTrip in the car, or any of the other FM transmitters for iPod?
Old 08-07-2003, 05:01 PM
sparky3Z

Not the iTrip, but an earlier FM transmitter for iPod. It works fine, but I have instead recently started using a cassette adapter (Phillips from Walmart) that maintains very good sound quality.

The main problem I had with the FM transmitter was on trips when radio stations would come and go and interfere with the sound quality and I would have to change the tuner setting to another dead spot on the dial. Plus the Z's antenna is in the back, a few feet away.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Zaph32

Hmm...when you're staying in one main city did it work well/sound good?

I am waiting on the new iTrip version and I am hoping for the best. I don't have a cassette in mine, no Blose system.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Vspec2

I have one. Can't say that I'm too pleased with it.

The problem (as mentioned above) is that it's prone to interference as you travel. Perhaps due to the fact that the antennae is positioned at the rear of the car...the sound quality comes and goes.

Sometimes it's a hum, sometimes it's static.

I had high hopes for the iTrip and actually preordered it from Griffin. Wish i could get a refund.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:27 AM
sparky3Z

To answer your question, if you are travelling in one area of a city, you may be ok. The larger the city, the more radio stations, the more likely to have interference.

I have not tried the iTrip and don't know how strong its signal is, but its small size makes me think it may not be as strong a broadcaster as the older type I have. The FM transmitter I have came in a kit made for the iPod that included a case, 12-volt adapter, special connectors, etc. It is a "SOUNDFEEDER FM Transmitter, SF121." It's black and about the size of a Zippo lighter and has a 11" wire to plug into the earphone jack. It takes two AAA batteries and they last a good while. I believe I purchased it from Macconnection.com.

It works great in home use and has a strong signal and good sound quality. You just have to find a dead spot on your tuner dial so you don't get interference.

That's the problem when you travel. Stations get stronger and weaker and before long you get interference.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:04 AM
TheTuna

...and in my city, practically all stations are used which is a bummer so I can only give the iTrip a passing grade.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:26 PM
bluedevil

I too have one but i have 0 problems with it. cause i have rca cables runnin to my alpine The only problem i have is i bought the 10gb one and all my songs take 9.6gb so now i have to go to best buy and exchange it for the 15gb. But other than that my sound quality is FanTabUlous lol
Old 03-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Silverstone_350

i just picked one up today... trust me, it's a NO GO. it's ok at best on my home audio system, but it's definitely not up to the task when in the Z (which is the main reason i tried it in the first place). even after playin around with the EQ, sound quality is still poor when compared to an actual radio station. and i know it isn't my mp3s that are bad cuz i rip my music at 256kbps. hopefully i can return this POS tomorrow at best buy.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:05 PM
josephchihweilu

iTrip is a piece of crap. Unless you want to drive while shifting and holding your iPod in one hand while trying to get reception, be my guest. Go for the cassette tape connector thingy.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:37 AM
isugoo

i use cassette adapter along with cigarette charger. it shouds better (and hassel free since i don't have to change stations every 10 mins). but if you don't have cassette in your headunit, i recommend monster wireless fm transmiter with builtin cigarette charger. since it comes with cigarette charger, it has a bit more strong signal than using just ipod power (if your ipod doesn't have enough batt. power, it sounds more crappier).
Old 03-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Dr. Greg

Default The "Podfreq" is the answer!

I, too, tried the iTrip and was disappointed. Based on a review, I tried the Podfreq unit and it is MUCH MUCH better! Occasionally a little hiss, but overall I'm very satisfied. Got it just before a long road trip and sure enjoyed it. Supposedly it is made with much higher-grade audio components. I stick it in the cup holder.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:43 PM
titanlax

i havent used the iTrip in the Z, but I have used the Monster brand FM transmitter in the Z and have had no problems, i was skeptical at first but it worked well. The Monster worked well in the city. I also used the Monster transmitter in a Chevy Impala on a road trip from virginia to Florida. I was very pleased never a problem. When the signal gets weak you can change the frequency, so you always have a good signal. I would highly reccomend the Monster ICarPlay.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:15 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my roommate just got one of these. it works sometimes but sucks a lot of times also. i also heard an ipod with a belkin fm transmitter (im pretty sure it was belkin) and it sucked too.