Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New Audio Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008 | 10:07 PM
DaRocStar

Smile New Audio Setup

Hey Guys. I'm new to the community and have been reading on some threads in here and they have been quite helpful. Hopefully I can get some feedback/input on my setup. I have an 03 Silverstone Touring w/o the navi. I am replacing everything on the audio end with aftermarket stuff but I want to keep the stock HU.

Equipment purchased.

Zenclosure with 10" JLw6v2
JL 500/1
MB Quart RVF 216 (for front)
MB Quart EKA 116 (for rear)
Pheonix Gold V754 300RMS x4

I'm planning on disconnecting the stock bose 10" sub and just running a line output converter from the stock amp to the JL 500/1 for the JL sub. (The dealer said the speaker level output from the Bose HU was too weak)? Or, should I just leave the Bose 10" connected and run 2 Subs?

I am planning on running the Pheonix Gold V754 to the mids and highs using the speaker level input that the amp supports. Is this a good idea? Or, should I just go ahead and get a 4 channel line output converter? Are there other options here?

Your inputs/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-06-2008 | 10:12 PM
Spork

Let me be completely honest with you.

If you're putting that much money into your audio, your best bet is to just buy a new headunit. This will allow the removal of the stock amps as well.

If you do this entire install, your sound will be very nice.

In my experiences, dealing with speaker level inputs in the Z was a hassle, and I'll never want to do anything like that again.

Is there a reason you want to keep the stock headunit?
Old 10-06-2008 | 10:24 PM
DaRocStar

My concern is that I don't want to get my car jacked... Its a possiblity that I will get a new HU if the sound will be exponentially degraded... The Pioneer F90BT does look like a sweet HU.
Old 10-06-2008 | 10:51 PM
Spork

That's really not a good sign. :/

Do you live in a bad neighborhood? Park your car outside all the time?

In my experience, changing from the BOSE headunit to my Kenwood DNX7120 made a huge difference, not to mention the many equalizer and crossover options available to help fine-tune your sound.

You'll thank yourself if you buy yourself a new HU, because when you get everything installed with the stock BOSE HU, you may be a little disappointed... At least I was.

I assume you have full coverage on your car? In the unlikely event of a break-in and theft, they should cover any losses.
Old 10-06-2008 | 11:26 PM
pinkslip

I empathize with your concern of flaunting a new HU. In the Bay Area especially, showing off a nice HU is almost an invitation to take the rest of the aftermarket stereo equipment you have in the car. But on the other hand, buying all that equipment you have without an aftermarket HU is almost a waste of your time and money. The interference from the stock HU will mess with your clarity. Aside from the extra bass and more power from the amps, the sound won't be a whole lot "better".

Go for the full setup.

And make sure you don't park in really convenient places for thieves to steal, unseen. Even with nothing special in my current car, I always make a habit of parking in a more foot traffic-heavy area with some kind of lighting. Like at the Hacienda theatre, I would rather park near the Macaroni Grille or outside of Best Buy and walk a little farther to the movies, than park in the middle of the lot.
Old 10-06-2008 | 11:33 PM
350ZTheStandard

Break down & get a nice headunit, you will want to take advantage of the $$$$ you have spent on upgrades.
Old 10-07-2008 | 10:17 AM
DaRocStar

Thanks for the feedback. I currently have all the parts available to do the installation without the new HU myself. If it sounds pretty good then I will just leave it in. I figure its just my time wasted and not that much more $$$ to go ahead and give it a shot. If the sound is horrible then I will be doing the new HU in the future. Does anyone have the wiring schematics for the stock bose mid/high amp? That is where I am planning to tap the high-level from. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008 | 01:07 PM
THEDUKE

You should have saved the money you spend on the rear speakers and put it towards a nice headunit.
Old 10-07-2008 | 01:41 PM
DaRocStar

I actually got the rears for free. I might as well put them in even though I heard that it doesn't do much. So... the impression that I am getting is to go with a new HU. Has anyone here done this type of setup without a new HU? - other than silverstonez.
Old 10-07-2008 | 09:22 PM
Spork

If you install everything around the stock headunit right now...

If you conclude that the sound is nowhere near the quality you want it to be and you opt for a new headunit... You'll have to strip the interior back down and rewire the entire car audio system again.

I learned this the hard way.
Old 10-07-2008 | 10:12 PM
Peteski

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
If you install everything around the stock headunit right now...

If you conclude that the sound is nowhere near the quality you want it to be and you opt for a new headunit... You'll have to strip the interior back down and rewire the entire car audio system again.

I learned this the hard way.

I would not wait to see how it sounds, trust us, its way better with a decent HU!