Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Using OEM speaker wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
hypeiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using OEM speaker wire

I think one of my front speakers is blown so I figured I would just replace the speakers but still drive the replacement speakers off the head unit.

I was looking at pictures over at 350z tech and I noticed for the front speakers it uses that proprietary plug. I assume I can just splice into that line when I hook up my new speakers but I was wondering if that line was full range or if it was after a crossover that went to the oem tweeter.

If anyone can give me a quick run down on how the OEM front speaker and OEM front tweeters are wired that would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 PM
iamdigital

not worth the hassle of changing wire if you are not running an amp. just splice the wires. I never did find a cross over in the door so hopefully somebody can point out the location but I changed out the wires for aftermarket due to amps and it's a PITA!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO if you were to change speakers, you would definitely want to amplify them. Not worth changing to aftermarket speakers and run them off the head-unit. If you are not going to buy an amp for them just find cheap oem speaker replacements.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:50 AM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by iamdigital
not worth the hassle of changing wire if you are not running an amp. just splice the wires. I never did find a cross over in the door so hopefully somebody can point out the location but I changed out the wires for aftermarket due to amps and it's a PITA!
So is the wire coming off the fronts a full range wire? I was just worried that it might be behind a crossover. I was also wondering how the OEM tweeter was run. I figured the cheapest way they could do it was wire the front speaker (which looks to be full range with that paper tweeter built in on it) and the tweeter with an inline crossover in parallel to the front speaker wire coming off the head unit. This obviously won't be a problem if both the front speakers were 8ohm however my fear is if I just replace the door speakers with some coaxials (normally 4 ohm) and just leave the stock tweeter in place this would cause a 2.7ohm load on the HU which would either not work, sound horrible, and/or burn up the HU.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by hypeiv
So is the wire coming off the fronts a full range wire? I was just worried that it might be behind a crossover. I was also wondering how the OEM tweeter was run. I figured the cheapest way they could do it was wire the front speaker (which looks to be full range with that paper tweeter built in on it) and the tweeter with an inline crossover in parallel to the front speaker wire coming off the head unit. This obviously won't be a problem if both the front speakers were 8ohm however my fear is if I just replace the door speakers with some coaxials (normally 4 ohm) and just leave the stock tweeter in place this would cause a 2.7ohm load on the HU which would either not work, sound horrible, and/or burn up the HU.
Yes, you'll get a full range signal off of those wires. The tweeter is capped off so thats your only crossover.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Fairly Z

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
IMO if you were to change speakers, you would definitely want to amplify them. Not worth changing to aftermarket speakers and run them off the head-unit. If you are not going to buy an amp for them just find cheap oem speaker replacements.
+1 on that, I don't think it's worth it to buy a nice set of speakers unless you amplify them. If you're an audiophile you'll tell the difference, but you'll still be disappointed that you spent the money on something you really have to listen hard to hear. Unless, of course, you went with the some cheapos.