Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

screen size for 03 z

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
gmic350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default screen size for 03 z

so my factory nav died today and want to remove nav screen and replace it with aftermarket screen for some other function than nav.will be using the aftermarket head unit that has nav option.so nav will be where the head unit is and want to use old nav screen for backup camera.what size screen will fit the nav opening in the cubby?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:33 AM
wasuber

How did yours die? Curious because mine is dying a slow death, it takes 20 minutes to boot up lately. And now it gives me the "wrong disc error"

In for specs myself
Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 PM
orgasm_donor

Why dn't you just replace your Nav screen and/or nav/DVD player with a perfect working unit that is slightly used? I am not going to tell you that I have them for sale but...I have them for sale.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:25 PM
gmic350z

Originally Posted by wasuber
How did yours die? Curious because mine is dying a slow death, it takes 20 minutes to boot up lately. And now it gives me the "wrong disc error"

In for specs myself
well first it wasnt reading disc fast enough and progressed into not having power at all and sometimes it worked fine.finally it stoped working,no power.took it to dealer and they said my warranty covers everything but the nav,this is after making sure they charged me 200 for looking at it.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:28 PM
gmic350z

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
Why dn't you just replace your Nav screen and/or nav/DVD player with a perfect working unit that is slightly used? I am not going to tell you that I have them for sale but...I have them for sale.
id like to go that route but i cant find the dvd player used around my area cause i want to connect it before i buy it to make sure it works,but then again im not 100m percent sure exactly whats wrong with it .so ive come to conclusion its cheaper to just get the nav unit for my jenson head unit?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:34 PM
gmic350z

the dealer which also broke my cubby door in the process of looking at my nav today are on drugs if they think im gonna let them fix it!the service guy had the ***** to acuse me of trying to pull a fast one and get my cubby door fixed for free!so i went and told him to get the guy that worked on my car ,after going off and telling him to go suck himself.the tech said he was sorry and he admitted to breaking it.kelly nissan in lynnfield,service dept is a mess!!!never again..sorry guys im loosing it again!ha..so does anyone know what size screen that is?and before i buy new screen ,is the nav screen good for nothing or can it still be used as back up camera

Last edited by gmic350z; 12-12-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

OK… before we can provide help and useful advice, we need to know your goal (where you want to end-up with this). Do you want to replace your existing stock OEM Clarion navigation system with a new or refurbished Nissan unit, or do you want to scrap this and go with an aftermarket solution?

Option 1: Replace your stock OEM Clarion navigation unit with a refurbished unit or one from a scrapped/wrecked Z. This is simply a swap-out. Of course there’s a risk since the device should be tested thoroughly before you do the installation. It’s painful when you install a device that isn’t working properly.

Option 2: Scrap your stock OEM Clarion navigation unit, and install an aftermarket device. You mention having a Jensen H/U, so I assume you are looking for a screen that you install in the upper/forward cubby, and use a navigation black-box to drive the screen. Am I right… wrong? If I have this right and understand your intention, you have two choices for navigation (Kenwood or Garmin). With either choice, you will use a 7” LCD in the upper/forward cubby. I can provide more detail when you reveal your preferred solution.

--Spike
Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM
gmic350z

i want to use aftermarket nav.ive got the jensen vm9022.but is it possible in your opinion,to have a screen in the cubby that i would use for nav.ive seen touch screen units in the cubby before,but will it work with my jensen?if you had my same head unit what would you do to use the cubby space?

Last edited by gmic350z; 12-12-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Spike100

If you want to retain your Jensen H/U, and add navigation using the upper/forward cubby, install these components: Kenwood LZ-702W Touchscreen 6.95” LCD Monitor and Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box

--Spike
Old 12-12-2008, 05:58 PM
gmic350z

Originally Posted by Spike100
If you want to retain your Jensen H/U, and add navigation using the upper/forward cubby, install these components: Kenwood LZ-702W Touchscreen 6.95” LCD Monitor and Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box

--Spike
so the jensen nav accesory has no use for the application i want?up top would be all kenwood and down below would be my jenson?thanks for helping me out man.im not too knowledgable about this stuff
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Spike100

^^ You have the Jensen vm9022 double-din H/U. To add the navigation feature to this device, you buy Jensen's NAV101 navigation box. This only displays navigation on your Jensen vm9022’s screen.

--Spike
Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 PM
gmic350z

i got you..thanks for the help.found the kenwood nav and screen for around 700 for both.sound reasonable?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:41 AM
young Jee(Z)

im intrested in installing a nav system as well spike. ive got the factory BOSE 6 disk changer and want to retain it, so can i also install the " Kenwood LZ-702W Touchscreen 6.95” LCD Monitor and Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box:" or do i need to get a new headunit?

thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by young Jee(Z)
im intrested in installing a nav system as well spike. ive got the factory BOSE 6 disk changer and want to retain it, so can i also install the " Kenwood LZ-702W Touchscreen 6.95” LCD Monitor and Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box:" or do i need to get a new headunit?

thanks in advance.
You can install the Kenwood LZ-702W Touchscreen 6.95” LCD Monitor and Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box and retain your current H/U.

--Spike
Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 PM
burner

Originally Posted by Spike100
You can install the Kenwood LZ-702W Touchscreen 6.95” LCD Monitor and Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box and retain your current H/U.

--Spike
Do you have to get the Kenwood A/V controller to make the touchscreen work with this setup? Does it have a mute wire to hook up to aftermarket wiring to mute music for Nav?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by burner
Do you have to get the Kenwood A/V controller to make the touchscreen work with this setup? Does it have a mute wire to hook up to aftermarket wiring to mute music for Nav?
You might be confusing two very different systems/devices from Kenwood.
  • The Kenwood KOS-L702 Remote Touch-Screen Monitor requires a Kenwood Controller (KOS-V500 or KOS-V1000) to operate touch screen functions. These devices together provide full touch screen operation of your CES. To this you add the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box for navigation. This setup supports muting the current audio output while issuing voice guidance commands from the KNA-G510 Navigation Box. This setup is a sophisticated CES controller. The only downside is that it’s expen$ive.

• The Kenwood LZ-702W Touchscreen Monitor has its own hideaway box that supports touch screen function of the monitor’s features and also supports touch screen function with the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box. It does not support touch screen operation of your entire CES. This setup costs le$$ than the KOS system since it does not require a KOS controller. You can add this to any H/U since it’s pretty much a standalone system. With this setup, your navigation voice guidance is broadcast to the LZ-702W Monitor’s built-in speaker, but there is no mute feature. The car’s radio continues playing sound while the navigation system broadcasts its voice guidance to the LZ-702W’s internal speaker (making it difficult to hear the voice guidance if your radio is blaring loudly). It is possible to integrate the voice guidance into your car’s speakers (instead of using the LZ-702W Monitor’s internal speaker). I did this using an audio switcher (the one I am using is discontinued, but I believe PAC makes one of these). You simply connect the navigation box and your H/U to the audio switcher, and connect the switcher to your external amplifier. The audio switcher mutes the H/U when the navigation box issues its voice guidance (that then broadcasts over the car’s speakers) and automatically reverts to the H/U once the navigations voice command finishes.

Hope this helps and is not just confusing,

--Spike
Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 PM
burner

It's all making sense now, and I had the suspicion that the two monitors were different. I currently have the GVN-53 and a standalone non-touchscreen in my Z, and find that I wish I had a touchscreen for the nav so I am going to redo it with the Kenwood equipment. Do you have a link or model number of that PAC unit that switches the audio signals? The GVN-53 has a mute wire which made it nice and I want to keep that functionality when I upgrade everything. Also, looking for the LZ-702W seems to be hard. I only found it on one website, and they have one left in stock. Is there a place you know of where I could get one at a reasonable price? Thanks for your help!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:05 PM
AUtigers350z

Spike is the man and definitely knows his stuff
Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by burner
It's all making sense now, and I had the suspicion that the two monitors were different. I currently have the GVN-53 and a standalone non-touchscreen in my Z, and find that I wish I had a touchscreen for the nav so I am going to redo it with the Kenwood equipment. Do you have a link or model number of that PAC unit that switches the audio signals? The GVN-53 has a mute wire which made it nice and I want to keep that functionality when I upgrade everything. Also, looking for the LZ-702W seems to be hard. I only found it on one website, and they have one left in stock. Is there a place you know of where I could get one at a reasonable price? Thanks for your help!
I hesitate recommending a specific PAC device for audio switching since I have not tested it personally. Hopefully someone who has used this can provide comments, information, and installation advice.

If you Google” LZ-702W” you will see a few retailers selling this monitor at some very favorable prices ($300+). There are also great deals on the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box.

With this said, I would think twice about replacing your Garmin GVN53. Here’s why:
  • The Garmin GVN53 is a slightly better unit than the KNA-G510 you are planning to purchase (the KNA-G510 is the same as the older Garmin GVN52 except the KNA adds touch screen function). The GVN53 provides noticeably better performance.

• The GVN53 uses an RF handheld controller (vs. an IR controller). That means you don’t need to point the controller at a receiving eye and can just punch-in data from anywhere in the car. The advantage is operating the handheld controller is simple for a driver (probably should be done while not driving) or a passenger while in motion. RF controllers are much better than IR controllers.

• There are not annoying fingerprints on your LCD screen when using a handheld remote control. I like a clean screen, and touch screens become ”greasy.”

• Kenwood touch screens provide a very clear and crisp image, but no touch screen (with its mandatory overlay to support touch screen function) matches a plain LCD for sharpness. And, if you are really fussy about your display, the GVN53 even supports RGB monitors giving you superior clarity.

If you were installing for the first time, I would say go with the Kenwood touch screen setup. But since you already have the Garmin GVN53, I would keep this for some of its better features. But… that’s just my opinion that may be outweighed by your preference for touch screen operation.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 12-19-2008 at 02:34 PM.