Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

question about xm radio delphi

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 09:17 PM
brad25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question about xm radio delphi

I am kind of confused on what i need to buy for the best hookup for the delphi. I know I need the unit itself, car adapter kit?, fm modulater? I dont want to use the tape deck thing or the ciggarete lighter, just nice and clean. Do i need to buy the antenna seperate? Anyone with this system please help me out,thanks brad.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:41 PM
kyle jones

Brad,

I have the same delphi unit in my Z. I didn't do the install myself, but I do know what parts were installed in the car. The cigarette adapter wasn't used since the unit was directly connected to the car's power supply (don't ask me how - remember someone else did the install).

You'll need only the following parts:

1. the delphi unit
2. the modulator
3. the car adapter

best,

Kyle
Old 08-31-2003, 11:33 AM
mdelia

The three items that Kyle listed are all you need. I did a self install of this unit about 3 weeks ago and so far have been relatively happy with it.

I actually ran the power off of the cig lighter since its a 12v line and relatively accessable via the center console. I mounted the entire unit inside the Nav compartment since I don't have the stock nav unit. Its a nice clean install although a slight reach from the drivers seat. Not exactly sure where else you could mount it.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:44 PM
danotto

Will you be installing it to the factory HU? If so you will need the FM modulator. You will also need the car kit which includes the docking bay, antenna, cigarette adapter (you will need even if you are hard wiring), and cassette adapter (which you do not need, but comes with anyway). If your HU is aftermarket you would not need the FM modulator, as long as the aftermarket HU has AUX IN. Here is my setup.
Attached Thumbnails question about xm radio delphi-aug-20-031.jpg  
Old 09-02-2003, 10:10 PM
TexarkanaZ

If you want XM in your car i would not recomend the delphi through a FM Modulator. I have the unit and the noise is horrible. I would spend the extra money on a XM ready head unit so you can get the full effect of the Digital quality sound. Unless someone knows a better way to hook up the FM mod or the delphi unit itself. Cause i have talked to several different installers and they say there is no way to get the quality through the FM Mod.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:25 AM
mdelia

danotto,

If you have a Delphi unit, can you wire it to a XM ready head unit and bypass the FM modulation? I didn't think this was possible. If so, I'll probably go that way in the future as like TexarkanaZ mentioned, the sound isn't very good via the FM modulation.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:18 AM
danotto

mdelia, I am not quite sure what you are asking. If you had an XM ready HU then you would not need the Delphi. You can wire the Delphi to any HU that has an Auxilary Input. This would negate the need for FM modulation. Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:39 PM
mdelia

Okay, that makes more sense. AUX in removes the need for the FM modulator.

Since that is the way you did your setup, where did you run the power into for the Delphi unit? Mine is off of the modulator unit. I figure you probably just tapped the power line for the Delphi unit into a 12v line?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:53 PM
danotto

I am not sure where my installer tapped the power from, but I did notice that the cigarette adapter was wired to something. IE you still need the cigarette adapter to hard wire the delphi, but do not need to plug it into the adapter. Hope this makes sense.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:03 AM
mdelia

I did the power tap off that line as well. There is a good deal of room under that center console to run lines to.