adamtaylorpcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ TRUTH

zwole... get on xbox sometime ya a$$
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned, the enclosure makes or breaks the sub (as well as your crossovers, etc etc), not the other way around. Assuming the person building your box has somewhat of a clue how to do simple math, there are a bunch of very good options. I have the SEAS in my own car. I wanted an SQ oriented sub that didnt need some wacky proportion boxsince I wanted it in the spare tire well and there is not a ton of room to work with there. It fit the bill with one of the lowest cubic foot requirements of anything out there. Budget wasn't a concern, just wanted to not be disappointed and I didn't want to do it twice. Very tight, not at all boomy, nothing nothing that makes the hatch go "hrmmmmmm" at every downbeat - just well controlled, tight and accurate. Volume wise it has more than I need - I rarely turn the sub volume past 50% (and that's with the gains not even being set high on my amp). ON most hip hop tracks the way that stuff is mixed nowadays, I end up turning the bass even further downward.

The ID's were another one I heard and considered too - top notch stuff also. Adire was another that I heard and loved, but getting my hands on one was tough at the time. I didn't go with ID's only because they were "somewhat" common, and I just wanted something a bit out of the ordinary

If you go with the Seas, the guys at MobileSQ are awesome, that's where mine came from. Feel free to tell Eng we say "what's up!" - really nice guy and got me what I needed quickly.

Just realize it's going to be very much tied to all other aspects of your system, and even then, very subjective

Post up what you end up with!

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 02-12-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:04 AM
Renfri

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
one of the worst threads ive ever seen

how does a stroker fit the sq bill? every stroker ive heard was just spl
WOW... You say that is the worst thread ever because one post out of many list a CV Stroker?

I posted that link because most of the main members are hardcore sound quality competitors. There is a wealth of knowledge there that might help out.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
^^^ TRUTH

zwole... get on xbox sometime ya a$$
man i havent had time ive been going to sleep at like 830 im sure ill be on tonight though i might stay up till at least 10 since its friday
Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Electrodynamic

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Two words: Thiele and Small.

These two Australian audio engieers back in the 1960's published papers with formulas which allow a speaker builder to tailor the sound of their subwoofers enclosure. Nearly five decades later speaker manufactures are still publishing the Thiele/Small parameters. Basically you can take a given speaker motor and make it sound good or bad depending on the volume of the enclosure it's mounted in. The reason some folks have good or bad experiences with their subwoofers often has to do with their set-up and not the speaker itself: over powered amplifier, under powered amplifier (pretty common), air gaps, or a poorly designed enclosure.

Since with the Z you're got pretty few choices where to put a subwoofer it's best to work backwards and find an enclosure and then look at the speakers who's Thiel/Small parameters match. But that said most people either go with what's pretty, what's popular, or what's loudest.

True, but you need to understand the numbers that you're plugging into whatever program that you're using. T/S's are an integral part of mating a subwoofer up to the appropriate enclosure. And like you posted above, you want to make sure that you've chosen a woofer that works very well in your specific enclosure - not only the size of the enclosure but the type of the enclosure (sealed, vented, etc). It's rare now-a-days, but some manufacturers/lines of speakers are designed for one particular type and size of enclosure only. And that can either work for you or against you. The key, like you said, is to chose the right driver for your application.

For 350Z's, I would think you would want something that is light-weight and requires a small sealed enclosure. Having said that, if you find a driver that meets those criteria you have a winner.

And since you posted up the T/S's, I have to advise not looking at one particular spec - efficiency. You see, efficiency is (unfortunately) mis-leading due to two factors: 1) high-efficiency subwoofers don't perform as well as the less-efficient counterparts when it comes to actual output in a small sealed enclosure (read: car audio), and 2) unfortunately a lot of manufacturers lie about it because higher 1W/1M figures look better to a lot of people because of the urban myth that higher efficiency subwoofers always produce more output no matter what enclosure they are put in. I have an efficiency calculator posted up on our site which you can have by clicking this text. All you have to do is substitue the parameters that are already in the table for the parameters of the subwoofer in question and the spreadsheet automatically calculates the actual efficiency of the loudspeaker.

And a preamble to the efficiency statement above, here is a paper on efficiency in small box sealed subwoofers that you might want to take a look at.

There are other factors to look at as well, but IMO the key elements to look for is something that was designed to work specifically in a small sealed enclosure and low inductance (it's the "Le" spec of a T/S list).
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
BallisticVQ

id have to say its a good combination of signal,power,enclosure, and sub used to create SQ.... i have heard alot of nice subs in my days cheap to over priced. this is a good question..... the answer to this however isnt easy to answer. what i like and think is SQ is not the same as another persons ears... You can RTA any car's sound and it's not going to guarantee your going to like how it sounds, My car sounds great in the drivers seat but outside people say gosh not enought bass... well answer is i didnt design it to entertain curbside people. Sit inside it and your going to change your views. good luck with your quest as this is a good question,,,
Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
michaeljr6

w6v2 was weak that's why i got something better SQ gets old....SPL ftw
Old 02-17-2009, 03:14 PM
ExtaZ33

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
w6v2 was weak that's why i got something better SQ gets old....SPL ftw
Okay, I've been waiting to ask this question. I have an all JL setup 1000/1 and 300/4, JL wire.

Talk me out of a w6v2 for SQ and SPL. I need something with a good mounting depth too, around 6" probably.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:35 PM
adamtaylorpcb

if you want sql IDmaxx 10 is amazing and you have the 1000/1 to push it
Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Electrodynamic

Originally Posted by StudyBuddy
Okay, I've been waiting to ask this question. I have an all JL setup 1000/1 and 300/4, JL wire.

Talk me out of a w6v2 for SQ and SPL. I need something with a good mounting depth too, around 6" probably.
A Stereo Integrity Mag v4 is right up your alley. Only 5.5" deep, weighs only 20 lbs, uses XBL^2 motor technology, ultra-low inductance (larger bandwidth, faster/better transient response), designed for sealed-only applications, and will handle up to 1000 watts in 1 ft^3 sealed. The best thing about the driver is that you don't need all 1000 watts to get the most out of it so you can use the 'extra' power for added headroom (again, better transient response).
Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Electrodynamic

Originally Posted by BallisticVQ
You can RTA any car's sound and it's not going to guarantee your going to like how it sounds, My car sounds great in the drivers seat but outside people say gosh not enought bass... well answer is i didnt design it to entertain curbside people. Sit inside it and your going to change your views.
I totally agree. If you want to entertain people outside of your car mount speakers on the outside of your vehicle. You'd be surprised how effective mounting speakers on the outside of your vehicle is for people that are outside your vehicle.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
michaeljr6

Originally Posted by StudyBuddy

W6v2 is more than 6" . here is mine