Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Kick pods vs. stock location

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:11 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kick pods vs. stock location

Anyone that ever wondered what the difference is between having component speakers in the stock door location vs. Bing's kick pods... well, I'll do a little mini review without pictures since I'm sure everyone knows what they look like.

Biggest reason I wanted kick pods versus door pods was I didn't want to drill through my door panel. I've never heard door pods so I can't give you a fair comparison. My stock location consisted of the woofer in the door and the tweeter in the kick panel near the floor. The biggest reason for this versus the stock tweeter location is because I've heard two different components systems with the tweeter in the sail panel and they were very harsh... like, I think my ears would bleed harsh

How do they sound compared to the stock locations? A LOT better... I don't know what I love more, the fact that the imaging is a thousand times better than stock or that there is NO MORE RATTLES in my already sound deadened doors. It's also noticeably louder since it's not being partially blocked by the door panel anymore. The black suede looks good too... I always thought they were gray but the damn camera flashes throw the colors off

I'll be upgrading to the DLS Iridiums in the future sometime as well and add a more SQ oriented sub and save room versus the W7.

I'm not even close to being a hardcore SQ guy like some are here but I definitely recommend kick pods if you want a better sound from your components. Hope this helps and if you have any questions... ask away

Big props to bing for the tons of questions I've had and zwole for for hookin' me up!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the review Mr. Blasian.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:02 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
Thanks for the review Mr. Blasian.
Spoken from the man who has some of the dopest door pods for the Z
Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Get_Zwole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blasian

Big props to bing for the tons of questions I've had and zwole for for hookin' me up!

glad you like em big man. did you just leave that scar where it was? Is it hidden pretty good on yours as well? Yeah the camera flash for sure makes them look more grayesh they actually match really well. You will love the Iridiums in those pods when you get them dude they sound amazing .
Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole

glad you like em big man. did you just leave that scar where it was? Is it hidden pretty good on yours as well? Yeah the camera flash for sure makes them look more grayesh they actually match really well. You will love the Iridiums in those pods when you get them dude they sound amazing .
I left it as is when I saw they were black

Can't see a damn thing. Did you have any luck with kick panels? I had to push back my Iridium date a good bit because of the deal I got on the Brembos and headlights
Old 02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Get_Zwole

^^ hell yeah man i wish i had brembos maybe later this year or the new 370z bbk looks awesome as well. Yeah man had a guy come through and hook me up with a set for 45 bucks. Got them installed . Cant believe the dealer wanted 120 bucks for 2 pieces of plastic.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:07 PM
blasian

^^ hell yeah man i wish i had brembos maybe later this year or the new 370z bbk looks awesome as well. Yeah man had a guy come through and hook me up with a set for 45 bucks. Got them installed . Cant believe the dealer wanted 120 bucks for 2 pieces of plastic.
The 370Z kit would have been my second option down the road. Good to hear, I bought mine from the dealership for like $60 but I have a buddy that works there
Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Get_Zwole

The 370Z kit would have been my second option down the road. Good to hear, I bought mine from the dealership for like $60 but I have a buddy that works there
doesnt surprise me seems everyone has a "hookup" but me lol im always stuck paying msrp. If you need a good 1/3 octave digital EQ/processor let me know .

bump this up for the newbs that will just ask questions about it.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:57 AM
blasian

doesnt surprise me seems everyone has a "hookup" but me lol im always stuck paying msrp. If you need a good 1/3 octave digital EQ/processor let me know .

bump this up for the newbs that will just ask questions about it.
If you still have it when I get some extra moolah I may try to scoop it up

Right now I have to get everything together to start getting the Z fixed.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Get_Zwole

from when you got rear ended? i thought you fixed that
Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 AM
blasian

from when you got rear ended? i thought you fixed that
Not yet... repainting the whole thing the same color but I ain't doin' it until I have a daily driver. Parking at LSU negates fresh paint jobs
Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 PM
adamtaylorpcb

Parking at LSU negates fresh paint jobs
X1000 same with FSU
Old 02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Get_Zwole

Not yet... repainting the whole thing the same color but I ain't doin' it until I have a daily driver. Parking at LSU negates fresh paint jobs
damn that sucks man. My school isnt terrible its a D2 school though. I park like a mile from my buildings too lol.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 AM
james840a

I have both door pods and kick pods. My 6.5 is in the door pod and mid bass, and my kicks have a 4" mid range and tweeter. For my door pods i added sound deading to the door, and add sound absorsune batting behind the speaker, to help kill noise from entering the back of the speaker from the outside the door. On the kicks since there is not a hollow cavity there isnt as much noise as like the door would have, i added sound deading to the metal behind. Also one key to good sound system is the position/aiming and placement of the speakers. Mine that are in the kicks are aiming toward the listener by using a laser pointer, so that i get the speaker aiming correctly.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
KPierson
Banned

I had kick panels in an older car and you can't beat the imaging of them. My only complaint with them was when I had a passenger and they kept their feed right in front of the speaker. Have you noticed any difference in the Z with a passenger?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:20 PM
james840a

Me, no havent noticed any differene, but i usely dont have passengers in my car hehe
Old 02-21-2009, 10:36 PM
sosojeffcc

how was it adjusting to driving without the dead pedal?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by sosojeffcc
Its weird for a few days but you really get used to it fast. While Bing was building them i started to drive without using it and by the time they got here and i installed them i was already used to not using it. Im 5'10 though if your like 6'2 it may be a little harder. You adjuste pretty quickly though.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:53 PM
adamtaylorpcb

im 6'6 but i built mine so i still have my dead pedal i win
Old 02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by KPierson
I had kick panels in an older car and you can't beat the imaging of them. My only complaint with them was when I had a passenger and they kept their feed right in front of the speaker. Have you noticed any difference in the Z with a passenger?
I haven't really paid attention much to be honest, I'll have to pay attention next time

Originally Posted by sosojeffcc
It was easy... the night I installed them I kept forgetting and would brush my foot against it. The very next day I hadn't touched it and had my foot resting under the clutch pedal. It doesn't really bother me to be honest and I kind of liked my dead pedal

Quick Reply: Kick pods vs. stock location