Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

headunit now.... everything else later?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:53 AM
HawaiianBBQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey TreeFiddyZee! Don't lie to yourself bro. Cameras tell it like it is (unless it was a pic of me in Vegas) your dash has been kickin it with Freddy Krueger. It's time to replace it, paint it or slap some CF vinyl on it. As for the head unit, check out crutchfield.com, they will be able to assist you with the proper gear and they price match so do some research. But remember, the longer you wait to get the upgrades after you purchased the head-unit (i.e bluetooth adapter, ipod adapter and sat), the upgrades WILL BE harder to find. Good Luck, Have Fun & Z-out!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 AM
07rdsterGT

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
Yeah. Looks good until you put a big gash in the screen. Doh!
Right. BT, GPS and DVD are built-in. It also has an awesome iPod interface. You have to buy a separate cable depending on what iPod you have. I have the "Classic" so it plays audio and video from the iPod.

Here's a few shots that I just took. They aren't that great, but it's COLD OUTSIDE!!! My dash doesn't really look that bad either. I guess the camera exposes everything.

Stealth. With tinted windows, you can't even tell it's fake. I might try to engineer it better to recess it all the way. When the unit turns on, it pops out so I can pull the face off. Magnets FTW.

You sir, jerk off way too much in your car.

How did you get that sweet 350z load screen and background? Can I do that to my DDX712? I thought I was stuck with the 3 skins it came with and that was it.

Last edited by 07rdsterGT; 03-03-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:56 AM
07rdsterGT

OP: Yes. I currently have my DDX712 installed with the factory system. I am saving for a sub and amp right now. Then components will come further down the road after I install the sub.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HawaiianBBQ
Hey TreeFiddyZee! Don't lie to yourself bro. Cameras tell it like it is (unless it was a pic of me in Vegas) your dash has been kickin it with Freddy Krueger. It's time to replace it, paint it or slap some CF vinyl on it. As for the head unit, check out crutchfield.com, they will be able to assist you with the proper gear and they price match so do some research. But remember, the longer you wait to get the upgrades after you purchased the head-unit (i.e bluetooth adapter, ipod adapter and sat), the upgrades WILL BE harder to find. Good Luck, Have Fun & Z-out!
Yeah, you're probably right. I think i might CF it when it warms up. I looked at it this morning and it had a lot of plain old dirt on it too. OK, I'm a slob. What do you think they make window tint for?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by 07rdsterGT
You sir, jerk off way too much in your car.

How did you get that sweet 350z load screen and background? Can I do that to my DDX712? I thought I was stuck with the 3 skins it came with and that was it.
I'm pretty sure you can do the startup screen. It took me forever to get it to work. Here's the explanation that I posted awhile back. https://my350z.com/forum/6428964-post319.html
There is a "convert" file that you need that I can email to you.

If you go to page 68 of your manual, it shows the "User Wallpaper" area. You load images onto a USB device and connect, then you can load them into your system. You can only load 3 images at once. As far as skins, I think you are stuck with the 3 supplied unless you're a huge computer geek and want to figure out how to change them. The wallpaper/background image is separate.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 AM
07rdsterGT

I'm pretty sure you can do the startup screen. It took me forever to get it to work. Here's the explanation that I posted awhile back. https://my350z.com/forum/6428964-post319.html

If you go to page 68 of your manual, it shows the "User Wallpaper" area. You load images onto a USB device and connect, then you can load them into your system. You can only load 3 images at once. As far as skins, I think you are stuck with the 3 supplied unless you're a huge computer geek and want to figure out how to change them. The wallpaper/background image is separate.
I see! Email that file to me please at

justintime83 at gmail dot com

Also, NO images ever show up in that little box for the track that is currently playing. Do I have to manually load an image into each album folder so that it will show up when a track from that album plays? I looked for this stuff in my manual but didn't see anything about this stuff. I'll look again tonight.

I excited to do this tonight~!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

I see! Email that file to me please at

justintime83 at gmail dot com

Also, NO images ever show up in that little box for the track that is currently playing. Do I have to manually load an image into each album folder so that it will show up when a track from that album plays? I looked for this stuff in my manual but didn't see anything about this stuff. I'll look again tonight.

I excited to do this tonight~!
I'll email you tonight. I use iTunes and the images are either with the downloaded files, marry up to files burned from CD or you can manually add them to the albums. I know there are other ways to do this than iTunes, but I doubt any are as easy.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Goku350z2007

Here's some pics of my install.
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee144/goku350z2007/
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 AM
07rdsterGT

I'll email you tonight. I use iTunes and the images are either with the downloaded files, marry up to files burned from CD or you can manually add them to the albums. I know there are other ways to do this than iTunes, but I doubt any are as easy.
Dude. Same thing here. I use iTunes but yet my headunit never loads a image for any track. Never.

I use a 40GB hard drive as my slip disk though, but I don't see what that would have to do with anything.

Yeah, please email it to me
Old 03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Dude. Same thing here. I use iTunes but yet my headunit never loads a image for any track. Never.

I use a 40GB hard drive as my slip disk though, but I don't see what that would have to do with anything.

Yeah, please email it to me
OH. That's why then. When you "sync" to the iPod, part of the syncing actually moves the thumbnail images also plus metadata I'm guessing. I know there is a folder on my Mac that contains all of the preview images separately from the music files. They aren't embedded in the music files.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
zcoupe

Yeah. Looks good until you put a big gash in the screen. Doh!
Right. BT, GPS and DVD are built-in. It also has an awesome iPod interface. You have to buy a separate cable depending on what iPod you have. I have the "Classic" so it plays audio and video from the iPod.

Here's a few shots that I just took. They aren't that great, but it's COLD OUTSIDE!!! My dash doesn't really look that bad either. I guess the camera exposes everything.

Stealth. With tinted windows, you can't even tell it's fake. I might try to engineer it better to recess it all the way. When the unit turns on, it pops out so I can pull the face off. Magnets FTW.

WOW man! do you have some long claws on the end of those finger tips of yours or was your dog chewing on your interior? why is it sooooo scratched?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by zcoupe
WOW man! do you have some long claws on the end of those finger tips of yours or was your dog chewing on your interior? why is it sooooo scratched?
Let's just say I'm no professional installer. Some of the stuff up top is actually dust. I also shot low-res.
After cleaning it looks a little better. Definitely time to do a little C***e.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
zcoupe

Let's just say I'm no professional installer. Some of the stuff up top is actually dust. I also shot low-res.
After cleaning it looks a little better. Definitely time to do a little C***e.

haha i hear ya man. they have diy pages that show how to get the head unit out. there really isnt much prying that has to be done. anyway like the hu. i like the 350z wallpapers on it
Old 03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by zcoupe
haha i hear ya man. they have diy pages that show how to get the head unit out. there really isnt much prying that has to be done. anyway like the hu. i like the 350z wallpapers on it
Crowbar and a small sledge hammer. That's my tools of choice!

The didn't have any DIYs as to where to lay the thing when you take it out.
(Note to self. Metal scratches plastic).

I can't believe it *** out my C-F-age. Jiminy

Last edited by TreeFiddyZee; 03-03-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM
zcoupe

Crowbar and a small sledge hammer. That's my tools of choice!

The didn't have any DIYs as to where to lay the thing when you take it out.
(Note to self. Metal scratches plastic).

I can't believe it *** out my C-F-age. Jiminy
lol! i think your z deserves a better choice of tools! lol
Old 03-04-2009, 03:48 AM
07rdsterGT

OH. That's why then. When you "sync" to the iPod, part of the syncing actually moves the thumbnail images also plus metadata I'm guessing. I know there is a folder on my Mac that contains all of the preview images separately from the music files. They aren't embedded in the music files.
Oh snap! I see. Yeah, I'm going to try storing thumbnails in each folder and see if that does the trick. Probably not....lol
Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
07rdsterGT

FYI: for DDX712 owners look to page 70 for "entering background" for applying background pictures.