Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Ipod/External Hardrive Connection to Head Unit Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
bruce4o9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ipod/External Hardrive Connection to Head Unit Problem.

Ok so i have a Pioneer AVH-P4000dvd head unit. Picture -->http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk/image...H-P4000DVD.jpg

1st Question-
I tried to hook up my 320gig Western Digital external hard drive to my head unit and the usb tab doesnt light up? my external is powered but it doesnt read on my head unit. ive done some research and found that head units can only read up to 32 gigs?

2nd Question-
I plugged in my 2nd generation Ipod touch to my head unit using a auxiliary cord. My ipod tab doesn't light up? I can go in the aux. setting and use the ipod but then i have to control my music on my itouch instead of my head unit. I would like to control my ipod from my head unit cuz using the ipod is too much of a trouble. Anyone have any answers?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce4o9
Ok so i have a Pioneer AVH-P4000dvd head unit. Picture -->http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk/image...H-P4000DVD.jpg

1st Question-
I tried to hook up my 320gig Western Digital external hard drive to my head unit and the usb tab doesnt light up? my external is powered but it doesnt read on my head unit. ive done some research and found that head units can only read up to 32 gigs?

2nd Question-
I plugged in my 2nd generation Ipod touch to my head unit using a auxiliary cord. My ipod tab doesn't light up? I can go in the aux. setting and use the ipod but then i have to control my music on my itouch instead of my head unit. I would like to control my ipod from my head unit cuz using the ipod is too much of a trouble. Anyone have any answers?

Are you using the right cable and connecting into the iPod in port on the headunit or just connecting into the AUX in? If you're connected to the AUX in then that is where it will show up, you have to connected to the iPod in through a Pioneer iPod cable to be able to control the iPod from the head unit. Also, I'm not sure how new that head unit is it may not support the 2nd gen touch. I have an Alpine IVA-W205 and it doesn't support iPhones which are a similar platform to the iTouch.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
w8lifter21

I have run into the same problem on many customer's cars. Here is what I was told, straight from Pioneer Tech Support's mouth

-Pioneer headunits that have the USB input only provide 500mA of power to read thumb drives. Even some powered external hard drives require more power to read the drive itself.

-The drive must have FAT16 or FAT32 format

-The maximum drive size it can read is 250GB and that's pushing it.

-If all those criteria are met (under 500mA to read drive, has it's own power supply, FAT format, and under 250GB) only then will the headunit recognize the drive, be able to read it, and light up the icon on the radio.

-The radio should be able to recognize the touch, I've tried my iPhone and it works, it just won't charge it with out this:

Scosche Charging Adapter for iPod touch 2G, iPod nano 4G, iPhone 3G (Black)

-For the direct connect iPod, you need the CD-I200, available at any best buy/stereo shop
Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 AM
bruce4o9

thanks w8lifter21.