Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

2006 Cubby Monitor Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM
JEKL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Cubby Monitor Install

After a couple of months of working on this each weekend I am finally done with my audio/video project in my 2006 350Z Grand Touring without navigation. I have another post out there on this but I thought I would make one that includes more pics, details and parts that were needed to make it work.

My goal was to incorporate my iPod and add XM radio and navigation while retaining the stock appearance. Thanks to some great advice in this forum I decided to go with a Kenwood CarPortal system that would allow me to keep my factory radio for CDs and put a touch screen monitor in the upper cubby to control all functions. This set up also allows for the ability to add bluetooth and back up camera if desired. From everything I could tell there was not a simple way to use the non-navigation cubby without a fair amount of fabrication. So I decided to use a navigation bezel. Here is the final result. Details on the install follow the pics.

Equipment:

- Kenwood KOS-V1000 Controller
- Kenwood KOS-L702 6.95" Monitor
- Kenwood KNA-G510 Hideaway Navigation Unit (Not Yet Installed)
- Kenwood KCA-iP300V USB iPod Video Control Cable
- Audiovox CNP2000UC XM Direct2 Satellite Radio Tuner
- Audiovox CNPKEN1 XM Direct2 Kenwood Connection Cable
- Scosche Wire Harness (Part # NN03B)
- Scosche Reverse Wire Harness (Part # NN03RB)
- 06+ OEM Center Bezel for Navigation - From Concept Z Performance (Part # NIS350-68260-CF)
- 06+ Navigation Switch Assembly - From Courtesy Nissan (Part # 28395-CF405)
- 06+ Navigation Finisher - From Local Nissan Dealership (Part # 68499-CF40A)

Kenwood CarPortal Install:

KOS-V1000:
I placed the V1000 in the glove box behind the passenger seat. When mounting the unit to the fabric covered board in the glove box I elevated it using 1/2" spacers from Home Depot. This allowed me to route all the wires to a 1 1/2" inch hole I drilled beneath the unit in the board. You will also need to drill the same size hole in the plastic tray beneath the board.

Wiring:
Plug the Scosche Wire Harness (NN03B) into where the OEM Bose radio goes. Use that to provide the V1000 with power, accessory and illumination. When you connect the orange wire for illumination, go ahead and connect two additional wires. One will be used to illuminate the Navigation Swith Assembly and the other will be used to reconnect the OEM Bose H/U. This harness will also let you connect the V1000 to the OEM speakers. While you are at it, run the parking sensor wire to the e-brake wire (purple w/red) and the steering wheel control wire to behind the H/U (More to come on how to hook that up to the SWIJACK later). Everything else is pretty standard. Just follow the wiring instruction on the V1000.

iPod:
The Kenwood KCA-iP300V USB iPod Video Control Cable simply plugs right into the V1000. Because I rarely take my iPod out of the car and because I have full iPod control from the Kenwood L702 I did not run the cable anywhere such as the armrest.

XM Radio:
The Audiovox CNP2000UC XM Direct2 Satellite Radio Tuner just needs a ground, power and accessory. For the antenna I ran it beind the triple gauges of the center bezel. The reception is perfect. To mount the tuner I just secured it with double sided tape to the bottom of the plastic tray in the glove box under the V1000. Make sure the tuner has been programmed. Follow the instructions from the Audiovox website.

KOS-L702:
When trying to secure the monitor to the 06+ navigation bezel it could not be any easier. There is no need for any fabrication at all. Originally I hot glued the sides of the monitor to the back of the bezel. It was pointed out to me that I need to use plastic glue because heat can eventually melt the hot glue. These pics were taken prior to making that change.

OEM Navigation Switch Assembly:

Navigation Switch (28395-CF405):
From a functional standpoint there is no need to buy this piece. But I didn't want a large hole in my dash so I didn't have much choice. I did want to have it at least illuminate so you have to connect a couple of wires. On the wire harness you will find a yellow wire that needs to be connected to the orange wire of the Scosche Wire Harness (NN03B). There is also a black w/white wire that needs to be connected to the red /yellow wire of the OEM male plug. (Thanks to foochdawg for the tip on which wires illuminate the switch). This is a little tricky because the Scosche harness does not connect to this wire so you will have to tap into it on the male side of the harness.

Navigation Finisher (68499-CF40A):
This is nothing more than a 7" inch wide piece of plastic that will set you back about $70 unless you can find a good deal.

SWIJACK Install:

Not the hardest thing in the world to do, but it was a little more difficult than some of the other connections. The unit has a bunch of wires but for our model you just need to connect 4 wires; the red, black, blue and white. This install requires you use two of the provided resistors and use three wires from one of the OEM wire harnesses. Here is the break down:

- SWIJACK red to accessory
- SWIJACK black to ground
- SWIJACK blue to blue Kenwood Steering Wheel Control Wire

This is the tricky part here. For the SWIJACK white wire, you connect it to that OEM wire harness. Look for the one that has an orange, yellow w/red, yellow w/green and red w/green.
- Cut the red w/green wire (PIN 22) and solder it to the 150ohm resistor (brown/green/brown stripe).
- Cut the orange wire (PIN 23) and solder it to the 47ohm resistor (yellow/violet/black stripe)
- Cut the yellow w/green wire (PIN 25) and ground it.

From here just follow the programming directions provided with the unit. You will notice that this unit does not support the "PWR" button on our steering wheel. You will also notice that our steering wheel does not have a mute feature. When it came to programming I just used the "PWR" button to mute the volume.

Here is a great thread that helped me out a lot while doing this.

Reinstall of OEM Bose H/U:

The H/U needs to be rewired so it can not only illuminate but so you can feed the CD player audio to the Kenwood. You will only be able to control the CD player from the Bose. Use the Scosche Reverse Wire Harness (NN03RB) to provide the Bose with power, accessory, ground and illumination. Connect the the front (white & white w/black) and rear (gray & gray w/black) from the reverse wire harness to SP Level Control wire harness with the same colors on the V1000. Just connecting the orange wire as the directions say will not properly illuminate the Bose. You will also need to connect the orange w/black wire to the same red w/yellow wire you connected the Navigation Switch Assembly to.

Last edited by JEKL; 01-06-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:35 PM
matix101vz

wow that looks amazing .. nice write up too
Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Great install... and super writeup with nice detail.

Thanks for taking time to do that.

--Spike
Old 03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
harvin350z

Nice install, can you get all the buttons to work once you have navi installed?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very nice install, very clean, and best of all you wrote out your build perfectly for others!

Thanks a bunch for sharing!

one quick question;
- 06+ OEM Center Bezel for Navigation - From Concept Z Performance (Part # NIS350-68260-CF)

did you pay msrp for these parts?! :O ! looks like $600+ !!

Last edited by Voboy; 03-15-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 AM
JEKL

Originally Posted by harvin350z
Nice install, can you get all the buttons to work once you have navi installed?
Unfortunately not. It is for looks only. The navigation I will put in is a Kenwood/Garmin unit and is not compatible with the switch. I will be able to navigate the unit from the touch screen.

The beauty of this unit is that it is not driven by a DVD so response time is faster/smoother. Also I love the look and features of Garmin products.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:31 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Love the look with the switches. I would probly just fab a piece of plastic to fill the spot. 300 hundred bucks for non working switches is too high for me. But yours looks absolutely fantastic and OEM. Great work.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 AM
JEKL

Originally Posted by Voboy
very nice install, very clean, and best of all you wrote out your build perfectly for others!

Thanks a bunch for sharing!

one quick question;

did you pay msrp for these parts?! :O ! looks like $600+ !!
Sickening isn't it?? As messed up as it sounds I was happy wth those prices compared to what my local dealership wanted. They quoted me high $400s for the bezel and high $300s for the switch. The worst part is that finisher piece. $70 for a piece of plastic! I thought about putting prices up on the parts to give people an idea of what to expect. But I didn't want it to come across as bragging about what I spent. Plus I didn't want to let people know what a dumbs$$ I am for spending that kind of coin on non functional items!

I can't tell you how many salvage yards I called about those parts. Looked on www.car-part.com for weeks too. I found one guy that had the switch for $200. When I got there it was for an 03-05 which won't fit.

It was going to cost me over $100 to fabricate the monitor into the cubby at a local shop. So for a little more I got the OEM look I was going for. Plus I still have the original bezel if I want to take it back to stock.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 AM
JEKL

Originally Posted by Spike100
Great install... and super writeup with nice detail.

Thanks for taking time to do that.

--Spike
Thanks Spike! That means a lot coming from you. And for the record I never could have done this without you and THEDUKE. I meant to give you two credit in the write up and just forgot. Thanks again for all your time helping out a noob to the forum!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Voboy

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Sickening isn't it?? As messed up as it sounds I was happy wth those prices compared to what my local dealership wanted. They quoted me high $400s for the bezel and high $300s for the switch. The worst part is that finisher piece. $70 for a piece of plastic! I thought about putting prices up on the parts to give people an idea of what to expect. But I didn't want it to come across as bragging about what I spent. Plus I didn't want to let people know what a dumbs$$ I am for spending that kind of coin on non functional items!

I can't tell you how many salvage yards I called about those parts. Looked on www.car-part.com for weeks too. I found one guy that had the switch for $200. When I got there it was for an 03-05 which won't fit.

It was going to cost me over $100 to fabricate the monitor into the cubby at a local shop. So for a little more I got the OEM look I was going for. Plus I still have the original bezel if I want to take it back to stock.
It's awful for 06+ guys lol.. the prior models had it real easy just dropping in a monitor. I've been trying to call salvage yards myself with no luck. Gotta pay to play for sure...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Thanks Spike! That means a lot coming from you. And for the record I never could have done this without you and THEDUKE. I meant to give you two credit in the write up and just forgot. Thanks again for all your time helping out a noob to the forum!
^^ Thanks for kind words… But, the credit is really yours for doing a great installation that you describe very well and provide great pics (good pictures, as you posted, are very helpful). I think that THEDUKE will agree that you deserve the credit on this one.

You show why the Kenwood KOS system is a superior solution, and your write-up with pictures is better than anyone else has done.

Hopefully a Moderator moves your thread to the “Audio Builds” sub-forum where it will be read by a greater number of my350z.com registered users and guests. In this position, your great thread will have 20K reads over the next few months, and people will see how to mount a remote LCD screen in any year Z with various operational options.

--Spike
Old 05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Ghost_shift

Incredible looking!
Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 PM
MB33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean set up
Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks amazing. Expensive setup though.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Peteski

Looks awesome! Nice write up also!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:01 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by Ghost_shift
Incredible looking!
Originally Posted by MB33
clean set up
Originally Posted by iStan
This looks amazing. Expensive setup though.
Thanks guys. No, it wasn't cheap and I can't say it was worth the extra money. But I would not have been happy with something half ***.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 PM
orlando158
Banned

is it possible to install Kenwood DNX9140 with
OEM Center Bezel for Navigation -
Navigation Switch Assembly - From Courtesy Nissan
Navigation Finisher - From Local Nissan Dealership

in a 07-08 350z ??? how would one go about doing this ? to get the that look

i have read that oem center bezel for navigation is available for 03-08
and navigation switch assembly for 07 also i think
to get that look with the devices i mentioned? do i need anything else ?
- what is exactly the switch assembly? the buttons ?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
orlando158
Banned

now i see the way the OP did it is the only way to make it look like that and buttons illuminate and all
but it seems so HARD to do .. sorry but the pictures don't show a thing .. it only shows where everything is already set and the write up doesn't help much is too confusing
it would be awesome if would be more detailed with pics of every single step of the installation or maybe a video? i know i know too much to ask
i bet nobody on this forum has installed this setup so far but the OP

Last edited by orlando158; 02-23-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 PM
bigpow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the great write-up.
I was thinking of doing cubby monitor with my 08, but after seeing how much work (and money) it cost, I think I'm going to pass. Thanks for giving me a "closure" on my venture into cubby monitor/navi.

I'll just get the stock navi on my next car (which will probably a standard option since I got the 08 brand new).
Old 03-16-2010, 01:47 AM
sssmasss

what is your total cost? Thinking of doing this but i am on a budget.. thanks

Quick Reply: 2006 Cubby Monitor Install