Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

sintaxeror's Valentine 1 and Laser Interceptor install log - tons of PICS/No 56k!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Awsome write up... I got a Blend mount for my V1 but I'm interested in the LI.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 PM
scrapser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I would add some pics of my Laser Interceptor installation in my Z for comparison.

Here is my brushed aluminum switch plate I made that attaches above and to the right of my knee to the underside of the dash with industrial grade velcro.

Here are a couple shots of my sensors. I used to have an LPP system and I had a couple black delrin blocks machined to hold them. The delrin blocks were made with a large center hole in the back for the sensor wire...plus four screw holes to attach the block to the rear "wall" of the grill area. This rear wall is at a 22 degree angle so I had to have the back of each block machined to cancel it out for the sensors to be perpendicular with the car.

The LI sensors were easy to mount on top of the delrin blocks which positioned them just right for good grill clearance without being too obvious.

Using velcro, I mounted my CPU box in above the fuse box door to the left of the driver's feet area. I also used the space behind the plastic to stow the extra wire and attached a "Big Mouth" external speaker for loud and clear voice and alarm signals. The Big Mouth cost me $8.00 with is way cheaper than the Beltronics people are using that cost $30. It requires no separate power and is plenty loud enough that I had to the volume down on the CPU box.

All the engine compartment work was down without removing anything but the wiper cowling behind the battery to push the wire through the firewall grommet. The whole thing took me about 12 hours (including fashioning the aluminum switch plate).

I also have a V1 with a custom rear view mirror mount that has a "Z" on it and I use the rear view mirror for power to the V1.

What I'd like to see is a decent way to install rear sensors on the 350Z without screwing up the body or taillights to do so. I have thought of maybe coming up with some sort of velcro attached plates that protruded from the rear hatch gap that would hold each sensor. I could then remove them when the car is not in use (I don't drive a lot).