Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What needed EXACTLY for a HU replacement on a 2004 BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:35 PM
JapanLio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What needed EXACTLY for a HU replacement on a 2004 BOSE

Hi,

I searched in all the post of the forum but I still dont have a detailed and precise answer to my question : what is needed EXACTLY to replace the factory HU from a 2004 touring roadster equiped with BOSE ?

- what hardware to buy ?
- what harness to buy ?

I want to keep everything in the car (Bose amp and speakers) except the Head Unit.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
jdella681

I have an '03 with the bose.. definitely want to get some answers here too
Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have an HU with RCA pre-outs, you'll need a Metra 70-7551 harness (this is what I used). If your HU doesn't have pre-outs, then you'll use 70-7550.

You'll need a mounting kit also. Metra 99-7402 is what I used.

There are other options, but this is the way that I went.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 PM
KYEXTAZ

I have an 06 with bose and the guy at best buy told me the other day I would have to rewire and replace all of the speakers and amp. Is this true? I thought he was an idiot. I want to replace it with an Alpine navi unit.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 PM
JapanLio

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
If you have an HU with RCA pre-outs, you'll need a Metra 70-7551 harness (this is what I used). If your HU doesn't have pre-outs, then you'll use 70-7550.

You'll need a mounting kit also. Metra 99-7402 is what I used.

There are other options, but this is the way that I went.
Great, thanks !

Why some members are talking about PAC-ROEM-NIS2 harness when the 350z is Bose equiped ?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 PM
04zee
Banned

Originally Posted by JapanLio
Great, thanks !

Why some members are talking about PAC-ROEM-NIS2 harness when the 350z is Bose equiped ?
i bought the metra one but the bose system wasn't as loud i switched over to the pac-roem-nis2 and the sound quality was better than stock. id recommend it, its a bit pricey like $50 bought it online. BTW i have a pioneer avic d3
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle
Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by KYEXTAZ
I have an 06 with bose and the guy at best buy told me the other day I would have to rewire and replace all of the speakers and amp. Is this true? I thought he was an idiot. I want to replace it with an Alpine navi unit.
Yep. Idiot. It's a requirement to work there.
All I replaced was the HU. The Metra or Pac units are used so that you don't mess up the factory wiring. When I get rid of the car, all I have to do is unplug the harness and plug the factory lines back into my Bose. You have to do some wiring on the harness itself, but you won't modify the stock wires at all.

Originally Posted by JapanLio
Great, thanks !

That's one of the other options. It allows you to "tune" things a little better. I don't have the volume problem that 04zee mentioned, but my HU has tons of sounds settings. 13 band EQ front and rear, crossover settings, subwoofer boost, etc. I usually run my sound between 14 to 20 and I think it goes to 35.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:59 AM
JapanLio

Thanks a lot everyone. I think this precisions will be useful for new Z owner. It can be interesting to be in post-it, no ?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:27 AM
reyd1

Stay away from Sonic Electronix. Worst experience of online shopping ever!!! Site says in stock and ships in same or next day. After 2 weeks no ship and order still processing. I keep getting messages that they cannot keep up with their orders. Then I kept getting we have 15 and it will go out today... BOOL SH**!. Several phone calls and outright lies to me. Canceled order and still waiting for refund to my card. Stay away!. Pay more and get it immediately. bought through ebay and got it in 3 days.

Buyer beware!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
vorm

Originally Posted by reyd1
Stay away from Sonic Electronix. Worst experience of online shopping ever!!! Site says in stock and ships in same or next day. After 2 weeks no ship and order still processing. I keep getting messages that they cannot keep up with their orders. Then I kept getting we have 15 and it will go out today... BOOL SH**!. Several phone calls and outright lies to me. Canceled order and still waiting for refund to my card. Stay away!. Pay more and get it immediately. bought through ebay and got it in 3 days.

Buyer beware!
I ordered the PAC-ROEM-NIS2 harness and Metra 99-7402 dash kit from them yesterday and it shipped same day. I have never ordered from them before but they were one of the cheapest places I could find, so don't know if I got lucky or you were unlucky with them.

Anyway, I have a '05 Touring, and am going to install a Kenwood DNX5140 HU, leaving the Bose amp and speakers, at least for now. While researching it, I read that some people have experienced a buzzing and/or lack of volume using the Metra harness with the Bose stock amp, which is the main reason I went with the PAC even though it cost more.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:52 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by vorm
I ordered the PAC-ROEM-NIS2 harness and Metra 99-7402 dash kit from them yesterday and it shipped same day. I have never ordered from them before but they were one of the cheapest places I could find, so don't know if I got lucky or you were unlucky with them.

Anyway, I have a '05 Touring, and am going to install a Kenwood DNX5140 HU, leaving the Bose amp and speakers, at least for now. While researching it, I read that some people have experienced a buzzing and/or lack of volume using the Metra harness with the Bose stock amp, which is the main reason I went with the PAC even though it cost more.
I've got a DNX8120 and I get a little humming when nothing is playing, but when the music kicks in, there's no hum. Also, when you put the unit in standby, which allows phone calls and navigation, there's no humming either. I'm pretty sure your PAC unit can overcome that too.