Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

radar/laser jammer legal in georgia?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 06:34 AM
ricks350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radar/laser jammer legal in georgia?

anyone know of this..if so, what's a good/reliable product out there....

i did some research under www.radarbusters.com to get some info on it..

thx
Old 09-25-2003, 07:15 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jammers

Radar Jammers

1) Passive jammers are legal, but they do not work. period. They have been tested a zillion times and they don't work.

2) Active jammers are against federal law (FCC) and thus illegal in all states in the USA. However they can work. The ones that work ain't cheap. And if you get busted using it you will be charged with purposefull intereference and illegal broadcasting and face serious federal charges.

Laser jammers are legal since there are no federal laws controlling what energy you can emit in the infrared region. (unlike radar/radio frequencies). The laser jammers that do work (they are not fool proof but they can help) have a detector and an emitter. They basically "return fire" when they sense a laser hitting them.

Several magazine have said that a laser jammer can significantly reduce the range at which the laser gun can track you. However, if the cop wait until you are good and close before he pulls the trigger the jammer won't help you at all. (unless he happens to aim the gun right at your emitter by luck)
Old 09-25-2003, 08:20 AM
ricks350z

thx for the input..i guess i have to stay off of this jammer thing for now..and drive safely
Old 09-25-2003, 08:46 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

valentine 1 has alot of followers. I plan to get one, not a jammer, just a VERY advanced detector.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:02 AM
DanielW
Banned

I wonder if a cop has the right to search around your car/inside your bumper if he thinks you're using a jammer....
Old 06-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danielwebb
I wonder if a cop has the right to search around your car/inside your bumper if he thinks you're using a jammer....
Yes of course - you just said that he has probable cause that a crime has been committed. Probable cause is a reasonable right to search - we are protected from unreasonable searches. If the cops set up a road block and started search all cars for radar jammers that would be illegal just as it's illegal to set up check points and check for drunken drivers.

(Ain't that the ****? The cops can set up road blocks in violation of American citizens' rights to be free from unreasonable searches but you can't ask for ID before voting or proof of residence to go to school?)
Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 AM
DanielW
Banned

But I don't see where probable cause comes in. His radar gun could just be malfunctioning which i'm sure happens. Just because he "thinks" there might be a radar jammer doesn't make it probable cause in my eyes anyway.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:09 PM
ROSELL0522

Originally Posted by danielwebb
But I don't see where probable cause comes in. His radar gun could just be malfunctioning which i'm sure happens. Just because he "thinks" there might be a radar jammer doesn't make it probable cause in my eyes anyway.
+1 It doesn't give them legal right.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:47 PM
kernel843

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
If the cops set up a road block and started search all cars for radar jammers that would be illegal just as it's illegal to set up check points and check for drunken drivers.
I don't know where you are from, but where I live cops do this ALL the time. Every major holiday and most weekends they have checkpoints leaving all the lakes and on major roads where they suspect drunk drivers are.

I don't know about legality, but I would assume if they do it ALL the time and it was illegal someone would have challenged them by now.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:58 PM
ROSELL0522

Originally Posted by kernel843
I don't know where you are from, but where I live cops do this ALL the time. Every major holiday and most weekends they have checkpoints leaving all the lakes and on major roads where they suspect drunk drivers are.

I don't know about legality, but I would assume if they do it ALL the time and it was illegal someone would have challenged them by now.
They get away with it because they are just "checking for valid license and ins." supposedly.......