Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Are the rear speakers even worth upgrading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or even drilling out the factory ones and rewrapping them (the route I went) - wakes the soundstage up tremendously
Old 06-17-2009, 03:37 PM
duro78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I upgraded mine but later disconnected them. imo it totally confuses the sound in the front stage. It looks good but sucks. Spend your $ for the front stage and subs in the back
Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
rtiid22

IMHO, I believe adding rear speakers allows you to hear the mids and voices a bit clearer and deeper because they're so much closer to your ears than the 6.5" speaker that are pointing at your ankles..
Old 06-17-2009, 04:00 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by duro78
I upgraded mine but later disconnected them. imo it totally confuses the sound in the front stage. It looks good but sucks. Spend your $ for the front stage and subs in the back

Proper equalization would have made your day.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
ankore

sweet avitar
Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by rtiid22
IMHO, I believe adding rear speakers allows you to hear the mids and voices a bit clearer and deeper because they're so much closer to your ears than the 6.5" speaker that are pointing at your ankles..
10% yes and 90% no.

The reason manufacturer's put speakers behind the seats is almost entirely for marketing sakes. "Its got a seven speaker sound system!" mid X2, tweet X2, sub and 2X rears makes it seven which is AWESOME! Well, from amarketing standpoint it is. The other smaller reason is because the front speakers sound like a cheap hooker getting strangled. Why not double the sound of the cheap hooker getting strangled and put in two speakers really close to your head but behind you! Thats double strangulation!

Anyways, when Nissan puts $4 drivers in your front door they need to make more sound. Why not put some $200 drivers in there? Too much money. Lets get two more $4 drivers and stick them in the no man's land behind your head/back area? Cheaper, provides more 'sound' and from a marketing standpoint it also provides better value. Of course to the educated its all just a bunch of hogwash. In some cars having rear fill can bring your soundstage up if they are far enough behind you and EQ'd correctly. In fact, in competition, it can be the difference between win and lose! This is not the case with the little Z though.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Proper equalization would have made your day.
are you serious? do you know what an RTA Microphone is?

my home surround sound comes with an RTA Microphone

my DriveRack DBX PA for my DJ Equipment has an RTA Microphone

an RTA Microphone will measure the sound in the room/car and adjust each speaker accordingly to the position of the listener..

Sound has to be balanced for the listener.. if your car had an RTA Microphone it would virtually turn your front speakers up high and your rear speakers down low..

to bring a proper balance to your ears.. being that the rear speakers are placed so close to your ear .. you would have to turn them down so low that its not even worth it.. to mach your front stage.. Rear fill isn't suppose to be loud at all anyway.. so trying to balance a rear fill thats already in your ear with a good front stage will be useless in a 350z.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just have midbass in the rear with eDead sealing the areas. Crossover at 60hz IIRC. Maybe it was 80. No highs.

Fronts are at 50-60 and I leave the deep bass for the sub.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
10% yes and 90% no.

The reason manufacturer's put speakers behind the seats is almost entirely for marketing sakes. "Its got a seven speaker sound system!" mid X2, tweet X2, sub and 2X rears makes it seven which is AWESOME! Well, from amarketing standpoint it is. The other smaller reason is because the front speakers sound like a cheap hooker getting strangled. Why not double the sound of the cheap hooker getting strangled and put in two speakers really close to your head but behind you! Thats double strangulation!

Anyways, when Nissan puts $4 drivers in your front door they need to make more sound. Why not put some $200 drivers in there? Too much money. Lets get two more $4 drivers and stick them in the no man's land behind your head/back area? Cheaper, provides more 'sound' and from a marketing standpoint it also provides better value. Of course to the educated its all just a bunch of hogwash. In some cars having rear fill can bring your soundstage up if they are far enough behind you and EQ'd correctly. In fact, in competition, it can be the difference between win and lose! This is not the case with the little Z though.
I'm talking aftermarket speakers here. I know the base 350z rear speakers are completely USELESS. And the bose sound system ain't too far either... a 2005 Base Corolla has similar sound!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 PM
michaeljr6

i don't know my ls460l mark levinson has 19 speakers.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by doug
are you serious? do you know what an RTA Microphone is?

my home surround sound comes with an RTA Microphone

my DriveRack DBX PA for my DJ Equipment has an RTA Microphone

an RTA Microphone will measure the sound in the room/car and adjust each speaker accordingly to the position of the listener..

Sound has to be balanced for the listener.. if your car had an RTA Microphone it would virtually turn your front speakers up high and your rear speakers down low..

to bring a proper balance to your ears.. being that the rear speakers are placed so close to your ear .. you would have to turn them down so low that its not even worth it.. to mach your front stage.. Rear fill isn't suppose to be loud at all anyway.. so trying to balance a rear fill thats already in your ear with a good front stage will be useless in a 350z.
Yeah.. I've heard of an RTA Microphone, quite an awesome little thing but I'm speaking from personal experience..

I know how to install car audio systems, build boxes and all that crap, but I'm not too educated in the whole equalizing stuff but I know it plays a major role cuz I messed with my car amps front gain and bridged some speakers and what not then put everything back to exactly how it was from the get go and my system sounded like crap and had to take it back to get it equalized. But that's besides the point.

When I fade the music to the front speakers I'm missing the mid bass and my highs are a little too high since I have to turn the volume higher to hear the music in better detail..

when I fade to the rear I get a muffled/hall type of sound coming from the speakers but when it's working all in sync.. it' sounds amazing!

So.. hence my opinion on rear speakers.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When I fade the music to the front speakers I'm missing the mid bass and my highs are a little too high since I have to turn the volume higher to hear the music in better detail..
Then something is just not right with your sound system.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 PM
jadaniya
Banned

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Then something is just not right with your sound system.
He's probably just in denial that he wasted his time and money on rear speakers and is trying to justify it to himself.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my factories out and replaced them with a set of Memphis components just for ***** and giggles, but also to see how it was done. I noticed a slight improvement, but like everyone else is stating, it's not really worth it. The stock speaker location is terrible. It's not worth upgrading just to have your expensive new speakers blasting into the back of your seat and head rest.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:21 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Only thing wrong with your statement is that with the right front speaker choice and tweeter placement, you actually get imaging and a soundstage that is at ear level due to the higher frequency waves bouncing off various areas. Bass on the other hand is non directional. Not so with the rear - they are aiming at the back of the seat, which isn't going to increase any sort of detail whatsoever as the waves really have no place to go except into the small of your back. Perhaps if you remove the seat and just sit on the floor of the car would your theory be more accurate, or maybe more true if you are exceptionally short, I don't know.

If your fading has to be alrered to hear details, your cross over points could be completely incorrect, or any other number of issues. As for "getting a system equalized", I couldn't disagree more. It's all about feeding the right speakers the right power and having components mounted in their proper places. I know on my car, I have only bass and treble on my headunit. No other points of adjustment as I use a very minimalistic headunit. I leave both and treble in their "0" positions. I'm not saying there aren't situations where an outboard eq can be very helpful - it certainly can. At the same time, it all starts with the basics of the system, which is a combo of the speaker locations/housings and their respective power inputs and cross over settings. You have to get that stuff in the zone before the eq. will really make a worthwhile justifcation IMHO.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 06-18-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:53 AM
rtiid22

ahh whatever.. this just ain't a wining battle for me it seems.

I stated my opinion on rear speakers and it still stands the same.

No one can justify their insults on my sound system or opinion until they have sat in my vehicle and listen to it for themselves. If you guys could prove me wrong by allowing me to listen to your sound system, more power to you..
Old 06-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

It's not insulting your sound system - it's being realistic that you might have issues that would be worthy of further investigation, that's all. Like anything else, if you're happy with it, then great. At the same time, be willing to listen to those that may have a greater understanding of these things, and take it as an opportunity to maximize what you already have - again, just my opinion.

If you're ever in NY, you're more than welcome to come listen to mine.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:58 AM
klaze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be honest i think i prolly just need to send more power to the mids and highs, cause my bass is hitting so hard i have my base controller at less than 40% just so i can hear the music over the sub, my stereo guy set it up like that i believe, im like completely clueless when it comes to sound systems, i just want 2 get it similar to my boys stock lexus system, his **** is legit.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
It's not insulting your sound system - it's being realistic that you might have issues that would be worthy of further investigation, that's all. Like anything else, if you're happy with it, then great. At the same time, be willing to listen to those that may have a greater understanding of these things, and take it as an opportunity to maximize what you already have - again, just my opinion.

If you're ever in NY, you're more than welcome to come listen to mine.
+1 to everything.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by klaze1
to be honest i think i prolly just need to send more power to the mids and highs, cause my bass is hitting so hard i have my base controller at less than 40% just so i can hear the music over the sub, my stereo guy set it up like that i believe, im like completely clueless when it comes to sound systems, i just want 2 get it similar to my boys stock lexus system, his **** is legit.
what does your setup consist of and how is it wired?

Quick Reply: Are the rear speakers even worth upgrading?