Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Are the rear speakers even worth upgrading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:52 AM
adamtaylorpcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bahahaha this thread wins

its the Uneducated audio guys that buy into any bullsh!t someone told them Vs. the experienced people who work in this industry and with this specific car.

drop it kiddies, your not going to win this argument..... rear speakers, that are probably underpowered anyways, firing into the back of your seat from the sh!tty location will not provide you with "improved sound stage" or "awesome clarity"
Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 AM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by rtiid22
No one can justify their insults on my sound system or opinion until they have sat in my vehicle and listen to it for themselves. If you guys could prove me wrong by allowing me to listen to your sound system, more power to you..
drive up to panama city
Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Ichigo

Name:  icantbelievethis.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  21.5 KB

OP disconnect them, they only screw up your soundstage
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
drive up to panama city
What's your setup?

Do you have a three way going on up front?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 AM
klaze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
what does your setup consist of and how is it wired?
mb quartz front speakers, dunno the model, rockford fosgate p3 sub, and rockford fosgate t400-4, i dont know how it is wired, i just remember the guy that i take my car to for installs said give him heavy bass.. like i said before i know nothing about car audio so im sorry if i am not as elaborate about it as you would like.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:14 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

ahh whatever.. this just ain't a wining battle for me it seems.

I stated my opinion on rear speakers and it still stands the same.

No one can justify their insults on my sound system or opinion until they have sat in my vehicle and listen to it for themselves. If you guys could prove me wrong by allowing me to listen to your sound system, more power to you..
I would love for you to listen to my system.. i won't even suggest you listening to Kwame's because you won't listen to your radio again or even want to drive your car
Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kwame's setup is what made me redo mine with the same people he did!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by klaze1
mb quartz front speakers, dunno the model, rockford fosgate p3 sub, and rockford fosgate t400-4, i dont know how it is wired, i just remember the guy that i take my car to for installs said give him heavy bass.. like i said before i know nothing about car audio so im sorry if i am not as elaborate about it as you would like.
if you can find out the info, let us know
Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by doug
I would love for you to listen to my system.. i won't even suggest you listening to Kwame's because you won't listen to your radio again or even want to drive your car

Who's Kwame? ..and what's his setup?? I'm very interested in listening to his system now! Lol.. (don't push the big red button.. yeah right)
Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Who's Kwame? ..and what's his setup?? I'm very interested in listening to his system now! Lol.. (don't push the big red button.. yeah right)
<<<<--------- The Big Black Dude Right Here! .... Hi!

My Build:
https://my350z.com/forum/4000101-post164.html
https://my350z.com/forum/3904861-post141.html

P.S. Thanks for the props Doug and Adam.

P.S.S. Doug I was rereading my thread and I found it humorous how I snapped at you in one of the post. My bad bredren.

Last edited by Kwame; 06-18-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
<<<<--------- The Big Black Dude Right Here! .... Hi!

My Build:
https://my350z.com/forum/4000101-post164.html
https://my350z.com/forum/3904861-post141.html

P.S. Thanks for the props Doug and Adam.

P.S.S. Doug I was rereading my thread and I found it humorous how I snapped at you in one of the post. My bad bredren.
Damn buddy! I honestly thought car amps couldn't be more expensive than a g. I'm a little sceptacle on how much clearer a mac amp is to a JL, they are over twice the price though.. it's one of those thing you have to see, I mean hear in person to believe. I gotta find myself a dealer in my area and see what it's all about.

But yeah, talking about the need of rear speakers.. I'm sure directing the mid driver towards you helped getting sound to your ears.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 PM
dj.kickz

I'm a little sceptacle on how much clearer a mac amp is to a JL
JL is a bad word around these parts.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Kwame

Damn buddy! I honestly thought car amps couldn't be more expensive than a g.
Those are by far not the most expensive amps out there, but I do consider myself blessed to be able to have that setup in my car.

I'm a little sceptacle on how much clearer a mac amp is to a JL, they are over twice the price though.. it's one of those thing you have to see, I mean hear in person to believe. I gotta find myself a dealer in my area and see what it's all about.
It is of my personal opinion that when paired with the right equipment (headunit and speakers) and with the right install the McIntosh amplifiers are far better than any of JL's public offerings. The keywords being the right equipment and most importantly the correct install, which is the premise of this entire debate.

But yeah, talking about the need of rear speakers.. I'm sure directing the mid driver towards you helped getting sound to your ears.
Absolutely, which is why it is a much wiser investment to purchase speaker pods for the front speakers as opposed to wasting funds/time/etc. on the rear speakers.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Damn buddy! I honestly thought car amps couldn't be more expensive than a g. I'm a little sceptacle on how much clearer a mac amp is to a JL, they are over twice the price though.. it's one of those thing you have to see, I mean hear in person to believe. I gotta find myself a dealer in my area and see what it's all about.
As an owner of both a JL amped setup in one of my cars (a 5000.5 running the whole system) which I've used both MB Quart (from the mid 90's - I don't remember what series) and Boston Accoustics Pro 5.5's, it's a totally different world. My 350Z formerly used the McIntosh MC431, and when I changed things up I upgraded to the McIntosh MCC406M like Kwame has to run the whole system; there is zero comparison to be made. The McIntosh has a warm, natural feel to it, even though I am not using particularly warm speakers (Focal Utopia 6.5's). While the amps are not cheap, I think the net result you get is more than worth the money. There are tons of amps from smaller firms that cost substantially more. I considered those as well, but decided to go with McIntosh partially to match the headunit I upgraded to, and also because McIntosh's service has proven to be second to none in the past - that alone makes it worth the price IMHO.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
or even drilling out the factory ones and rewrapping them (the route I went) - wakes the soundstage up tremendously
I'm pritty sure it's not too difficult to do this but is there a DIY walkthrough on doing this? Part that confuses me is the wrapping with windsong.. do you guys glue it to the rear of the panel, stich or what other method is it that works? Also, is that found in common stores?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Kwame

I'm pritty sure it's not too difficult to do this but is there a DIY walkthrough on doing this? Part that confuses me is the wrapping with windsong.. do you guys glue it to the rear of the panel, stich or what other method is it that works? Also, is that found in common stores?
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...er-grills.html
Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
adamtaylorpcb

What's your setup?

Do you have a three way going on up front?
Source: Pioneer Premier F90-BT (leaving soon)

Processing: AudioControl DXS, AudioControl DQT (leaving if MS-8 ever releases)

Power: Alpine PDX4.100 Alpine PDX2.150 JL Audio 500/1

Tweeter: Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia L1-Pro's (Black) ch 1&2 on PDX4.100

Mid-Range: Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia L4's ch 3&4 on PDX4.100

Mid-Bass: MB Quart QM200 8" (oldschool before they went to ****) ch 1&2 on PDX2.150 (leaving soon for Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia L6 )

Subwoofer: JL Audio 10W7 v.3 on JL 500/1 (Both leaving soon)

Yes its a 3way up front
Old 06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Peteski

We should all thank Kwame and Z1 for there input on a this subject as it will prevent people from wasting alot of money on something we think is good. Go active with the right speaker placement, and yes the right equipment, your good to go!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Peteski
We should all thank Kwame and Z1 for there input on a this subject as it will prevent people from wasting alot of money on something we think is good. Go active with the right speaker placement, and yes the right equipment, your good to go!
This is Kwame responding from Adam's desk:

Thanks but I (and I think I speak for Adam as well) would love to take credit for this information but this isn't groundbreaking news. I know we've been involved in this debate on this topic numerous times over our several years here and from your join date and I can tell you probably have seen the same.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Peteski

Yes have seen many threads on the subjuct, and have read it all in the last 5 years, just a shout out for members like you that dont gang up on newer members and try to help, as you know there are the search police out there!

Quick Reply: Are the rear speakers even worth upgrading?