Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 01:59 PM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Yellow Stealth
Ok, now I am frustrated. I went to the San Francisco dealership and handed them a printout of NTB03-087. They claim it does not apply to my VIN.

Now here is exactly how the TSB reads (this is copy/pasted from the TSB):

APPLIED VINS: Vehicles built in the following ranges:
JN1ZA34E83T005616 - JN1AZ34E03T021338
JN1ZA34D63T104720 - JN1AZ34D33T119707
APPLIED DATES: Vehicles built from September 27, 2002 to June 10, 2003

My car was built in February 2003 and the VIN is JN1AZ34D93T109393.

I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and they never looked up the TSB and just kept repeating to me that there were no TSBs AT ALL that applied to my VIN. I know that is impossible because I have already had the tire feathering TSB done and my car is sitting at the dealership right now getting NTB03-082 (rear hatch springs) done.

Can anyone explain why my VIN doesn't qualify?
The dealer is confusing the 086 TSB with th 087 TSB. I had the same issue at my dealership. I pushed hard and finally got the amp replaced. Result = Not much change. A little better clarity & less distortion at higher volumes but it was almost not worth the agrivation I went through to finally get them to do it.

Oh, My car was built 03/03, so if the TSB applies to me, it applies to you.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2004, 02:32 PM
enZineer

Default Old amp/new amp -- difference?

Originally posted by bixby
The dealer is confusing the 086 TSB with th 087 TSB. I had the same issue at my dealership. I pushed hard and finally got the amp replaced. Result = Not much change. A little better clarity & less distortion at higher volumes but it was almost not worth the agrivation I went through to finally get them to do it.

Oh, My car was built 03/03, so if the TSB applies to me, it applies to you.

Good luck!
Hey guys,

I've been following this issue for a while. There seem to be mixed reviews on the new amp.

Today I brought the car in and one of the NVH engineers at my company mounted a microphone dummy in the driver's seat. I used a speaker test CD and replayed pink noise in the cabin.

We created frequency response curves in the vehicle, I will repeat the testing when I get the new amp and post the results.

The equipment is laboratory grade instrumentation, calibrated yearly. Results should be interesting.
Attached Thumbnails Bose Issue is Resolved!-dsc00640_sm.jpg  
Old 06-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Sinful

i had my front tires replaced today for the feathering. we will see how that holds up.

as for the Bose amp. the first amp had A LOT of bass, at times i thought damn thats too much bass. and changing the bass did not do too much, but i did have a problem with it cutting out all the time.

they changed the amp today, and the part number on the invoice says 2860-CE400 but now the sub barely works!! i Even turned it to +5 and not much change. SO WTF!

i guess im gonna call them back tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

i also had my drivers side window regulator motor replaced and now it seems to work fine.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Z-Desperado

Will this thread ever die? Bose sold us a piece of crap and if you look at the Bose sub-woofer you would see it is hopeless. I just gave up and went with an LS sub and amp.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:36 PM
enZineer

Originally posted by Z-Desperado
Will this thread ever die? Bose sold us a piece of crap and if you look at the Bose sub-woofer you would see it is hopeless. I just gave up and went with an LS sub and amp.
What did you find wrong with the Bose sub?
Old 06-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Sinful

after talking to my service writer, come to find out that its from one extreme Almost too much bass and it cutting in and out to almost no bass.

He said that because lots of older ppl that own the 350Z have complained about the sub that they cut back on the subs output. It is the correct part number, and yes the louder you turn the volume now the more bass you hear, still not as much as before tho.

I am going to have to put in an aftermarket sub.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Z-Desperado

The Bose sub woofer looks like a clock radio speaker. If you take the plastic cover off and take a look you will see why that thing will never sound right.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:27 PM
enZineer

The Bose sub woofer looks like a clock radio speaker. If you take the plastic cover off and take a look you will see why that thing will never sound right.
I guess it depends on what you're after. Just jamming a sub in the hole and getting a powered signal to it might get you volume, seldom will you get quality.

I'm having a hard time believing that the guys at Bose sit around all day and thinks of ways to package garbage into a vehicle, and then put their name on it. To incorporate a microphone and the software to sample the interior noise levels, some significant development work was done.

Keep in mind that the audio system, while supplied by Bose, was signed off by Nissan. So, either the development team and Nissan/Bose all have bad ears, or the market that they're selling to is different, or something was f'ed up during manufacture of the amp.

Because it's a first model year, you will see field problems that weren't picked up during development. It is very possible that some resistor was incorrectly populated on the amp, causing the end product to sound terrible. Little things like this cost the parent company a lot of money.

Things like this happen, they always will.

This issue gets attention because people feel that they paid for a premium system that doesn't perform like they expect it to. The fact that Bose and Nissan have revised the amp several times indicates:

1. Confirmation that there is an issue
2. They hear the customer's voice and strive for customer satisfaction (but you'll never please everyone)
3. Nissan/Bose are eating the replacement costs and labor. Neither are cheap.

Unless you've got some reason to believe that the sub is complete garbage other than visual inspection, you can always unsubscribe from the thread, as I doubt it'll die that quickly.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Z-Desperado

enZineer
If you think Bose makes quality sub woofer then that is your choice to live with it. I think from all the complaint on this thread that people do not agree that we got what is quality. Everyone to their own opinion and I am glad that you are a satisfied customer. Everyone has their own opinion.
I still think it is time for this topic to die and enough said.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Z-Desperado

Here is what Road & Track said about their long term test of the Z.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

This all that I saying about the Bose problem for me it is a dead issue and really enough has been said.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:13 AM
enZineer

Here is what Road & Track said about their long term test of the Z.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

This all that I saying about the Bose problem for me it is a dead issue and really enough has been said.
The link you provided was published in November 2003. This is their long-term car, so I bet that they got the car in August of 2002 or so with the other magazines.

Car & Driver hated the Bose system back then as well.

These press cars did not have the amplifier updates, as they were the first of the production models.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:20 AM
makad

I got my amp replaced today, & the base is even less responsive. Now all I get is more midrange. The little base I had now has less belly. they need to de activate that auto thing. I want control of my own bass, mid, & treble.
is anyone since the amp change satisfied with the outcome?
Old 08-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Zracer03

Most of us have had our car for nearly 2 years. Many of us have gutted it and replaced the system. It is a dead issue, Bose isn't going to fix it.