Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 12:55 PM
alienx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if "problem" is a good way to look at this. My system is funtionally sound, it just sound less good than I would hope. And this is due to the poor quality of the components, AND the fact that there is an Audio Pilot technology built in.

Hopefully, these are things that Nissan and BOSE tried to work out this time. If they went looking for a "problem," they may not have done any good with this TSB.

Somebody here will have the amp soon and we will start to get some feedback!
Old 10-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Wedge

Some people have gone to the Nissan News site and looked at the latest blurb about the Bose fix. This article only addresses the "pre-9/28/02 Touring" issue. It basically refers to TSB NTB03-086.

Don't worry about this. TSB NTB03-087, the one addressing all '03 Bose systems in Z's produced between 9/28/02 and 6/03, will be released to the general public on 10/06/03. It should be posted at Nissan News at that time.

For those that want to check their current amp for the model number prior to going to the dealer, this is a copy of the section of the original TSB for the overboost problem regarding how to get to the amp.

"NOTE: The amplifier is located in the lower, left rear area of the vehicle, below the spare tire cover panel and other components that need to be removed."

I don't know how hard it is to get to the amp, I have never done it.

I have no idea how many of the replacement amps are available at this time............maybe I should have waited to get mine fixed before telling everyone about this........lol

I would imagine the plan is to have some to begin with, then send back the amps removed from vehicles to be upgraded to the new version..........then continue on with the replacement for more customers..........this is usually how these things work.

I know I will not have "concert hall" sound following the fix.........but I know it will be much better than it is. Right now, I have a sub woofer six inches behind the drivers seat that doesn't give the slightest thump no matter how high I set the bass. The tinny sound of the system will actually give me a headache within 20 minutes................not to mention the fact that my "Premium Sound System" is the butt of many jokes from my friends........I rarely turn it on. Any improvement will be welcome.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:01 PM
acjet

am i the only one that finds it funny that swooby says he is going to mail his petition at the end of sept. and low and behold oct 1 they come out with a fix? maybe someone (at nissan or bose) is actually reading these boards and taking note.

btw many thanks to swooby, wedge and the others for keeping on top of this. maybe we can get swooby to start something for the feathering/cupping issue.

thanks again
Old 10-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Wedge

acjet:

You are right on the money when you say that Nissan monitors forums regarding their products........they most definately do. Most car makers (and for sure Nissan) have people assigned to watch the boards for feed back.

They gather information whether good or bad about how they are doing from these boards. Knowledge is power as they say, so it is good for them to see what may be coming their way regarding common complaints as well as things that most people like about the product.

I would like to thank Swooby as well. Information he gathered helped everyone regarding this issue. Swooby is very thorough in everything he does. (Have you checked his site?)

I will continue to post any more "inside information" that I receive regarding this Bose thing. Also, I would appreciate anyone who gets the new amp first posting and letting us know how it sounds.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:24 PM
qirex

wow great news!

I wonder if this will make my Z sound like my fx35/awd/tech?

here's hoping!

I got my amp replaced last NOV (car was bought 9/30/03.

Do I have the "D" amp?

I'm assuming that this will rectify the lack of adjustment OVER vol=20....
Old 10-03-2003, 09:23 PM
suehproM

Cool.

Last edited by suehproM; 10-03-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:32 PM
MacGuru

I hope this is not like the last amp upgrade. I had the '02 TSB amp replacement and found the sound to be flat while listening to the radio and with little to no control over trebble and bass. I was not satisfied with the TSB amp replacement and my dealer knows this. Let's see if they can get this right this time. -m
Old 10-04-2003, 01:56 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by Wedge
I don't know how hard it is to get to the amp, I have never done it.
Here is how to get to the amp:
http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremov...0zBoseAmpR.htm

Pv
Old 10-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Wedge

Thanks SwoobyZ....

I think I will let the dealer handle that......lol I am afraid I would create a multitude of rattles if I did it ... still, I would like to know just which amp I had...........hmmmmmmm
Old 10-04-2003, 05:28 PM
N74DV

it's about ****ing time!! I've had my car for 1 yr. and I have been calling NNA every other month complaining about the lack of bass/treble controls on my BLOSE "premium" system.

I'm calling the dealership on Monday to get my $hit fixed.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:58 AM
Z-Desperado

Default My Bose solution

It’s good that Bose and Nissan are doing something about the sound system.
I have one problem and when I pulled the sub it looks like a clock radio speaker with a brassy color and small coil. Then you have the space behind the speaker that is open too much for a sub. I had Audio Crafters close it with insulation and replaced the sub woofer. Then I put an amp to supply power to just the sub. So if anything I like to get money back from Nissan and they can have this Bose sub woofer.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:06 PM
AmyCroft

Default Re: My Bose solution

Originally posted by Z-Desperado
It’s good that Bose and Nissan are doing something about the sound system.
I have one problem and when I pulled the sub it looks like a clock radio speaker with a brassy color and small coil. Then you have the space behind the speaker that is open too much for a sub. I had Audio Crafters close it with insulation and replaced the sub woofer. Then I put an amp to supply power to just the sub. So if anything I like to get money back from Nissan and they can have this Bose sub woofer.
Sounds like you are discribing the wrong amp....

Not the palm sized one in the Speaker bay, it's the "Legal sized one net the rear STBar on the drivers side in the trunk. Black foam block covers it.

Cheers Amy -
Old 10-05-2003, 02:01 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill have to call the dealer on monday then.

the dealer aint so great, but the service center has been good to me so far. actually NM, I dont get home till 5 or 6 on friday afternoons, and leave again sunday night, Ill have to wait till fall break or thanksgiving for this.

owell.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Z-Desperado

Default Re: Re: My Bose solution

Originally posted by AmyCroft
Sounds like you are discribing the wrong amp....

Not the palm sized one in the Speaker bay, it's the "Legal sized one net the rear STBar on the drivers side in the trunk. Black foam block covers it.

Cheers Amy -
No I was referring to the sub woofer speaker itself or could PM you a photo of what we took out of the 350Z. The speaker is really cheap looking and has a small coil to drive the speaker. I decided to start changing my system with the sub as the 1st part and maybe the other speakers and the little amp back beside the spare tire.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:14 PM
frankmusic

Default Bose fix #2

If Nissan is offering a replacement BOSE Amp for the current impotent audio - I'll certainly be there for that welcomed exchange. Playing my favorite tunes on that (alleged Premier) system has been a joke from the very first day. However, I will probably dismantle the rear cargo area myself before I allow their unproven servicemen to conduct the typical dealer demolition. All they will be required to do with my "Z" is unplug the OEM 'toy' amp and replace it with the new and hopefully improved version. Trusting them with a job that involves removing a multitude of interior panels and 'neatly' replacing them has me a little bit in doubt. I know most of you will probably not agree with my approach, but I feel that it will be worth my extra effort. Don't you just hate it when you finally pick up your "Z" only to find yourself expressing your less than favorable critique with the service manager later on? It just always seems to happen that way with the cosmetic items. Oh well........

Again, if this IS truly the widely anticipated BOSE FIX ........... Amen Brother.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:49 AM
mattvols

Is this supposed to fix the volume adjusting problem where the radio volume goes up and down, and the bass goes from boomy to almost non existant?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:56 AM
N74DV

Originally posted by mattvols
Is this supposed to fix the volume adjusting problem where the radio volume goes up and down, and the bass goes from boomy to almost non existant?
no.... that issue was addressed with the first TSB.

the new one is supposed to address the "lack of clarity". I hope it also addresses the non-existant bass/treble controls that became apparent after the first TSB was completed.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Z-Desperado

Nissan Issued service bulletin NTB02-111a 11/04/2002 referring to Bose Audio Pilot-Overboosted Bass changing the amp to Part# 28060-CD400RX. The dealer gave it to me when I was complaining about the lack of bass in the Z I own. I haven’t seen the new amp listed that Bose is supplying for this latest fix. Maybe I missed one of your posts but I was wondering if they wouldn’t go with this amp for the latest fix from the 1st change? No big deal just curious as to the latest fix. I doubt that I keep the Bose amp anyway since I have already made a change to my subwoofer. Yes I do know the serial number of my present Bose amp but I did sign the petition so I think it’s fair that Bose is doing something else to change this system. It still would not be what I am looking for in a true premium sound system.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Z-Desperado

Not a notice about the Bose fix but Nissan sent me a questionnaire about how a person @ Nissan named Michelle B Consumer affairs felt they handled my problem. IT was one of my calls to her about Nissan and Bose fixing the 350Z audio system? This is poetic justice for feedback how poor they handled this problem so guess what. She will not like what I have to say about Consumer Affairs or Michelle B.
1.Ease of contacting our call center-
2.Nissan Representative-Michlle B-who help you on 9/10/03
3a How many times did you attempt to contact Michelle B Nissan Consumer Affairs to have your question or problem resolved –(Is she kidding that she helped me)
3b Was a final resolution or answer provided you- (NO WE ARE NOT HELPING YOU)
4How satisfied are you with the answer to your question or resolution to your problem? (Very dissatisfied)
5a Prior to contacting Nissan Consumer Affairs, how satisfied were you with your overall Nissan ownership experience?
5b How has your resent contact Nissan Consumer Affairs changed your overall Nissan ownership experience?
6 Based upon your overall ownership experience, how likely are you to recommend buying or leasing a Nissan?
7In order to continuously improve our level of service, please tell us what we did to exceed your expectations or areas where we could improve. (This one is to good to be true are they kidding)
Questions are abbreviated except the good ones and not 100% qouted
Old 10-06-2003, 02:16 PM
frankmusic

Question If the 'Fix' ain't 'THE FIX' - - -

What if......
Just suppose that after waiting all this time for NISSAN to make an official acknowledgement of the said BOSE problem [TSB NTB 03-087] and turns out to be nothing more than a basic amp switch with minimal results? In other words, what if we're looking at yet another round of a 'here we go again' episode? Would replacing the Bose power amp with another satisfactorily reliable unit do the trick? Could one attempt to resolve this audio issue by integrating an EQ to supplement the audio frequencies that are obviously deficient?

My Bose head unit seems to work well enough. Down the road, I may end up replacing the OEM speakers with after market ones with the desired impressive specs. BUT - realistically, if you have at least 240 watts of power to play with, your car stereo should have sufficient juice to sound dramatically better than the current set up that we were offered. Between the disastrous first 350Z Bose version and the impotent second version, you would swear the engineers at Bose are either tone deaf - or they enjoy playing good prank. (2 times in a row)

Quick Reply: Bose Issue is Resolved!