Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Z-Desperado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clarion makes the head unit so it is worth keeping if you are making changes to you system I would really get rid of the subwoofer and add an amp to it. Then start next with maybe a real amp a good doors and back speakers.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Natal

I'm not expecting much from "the fix", since I heard that the new 04s also have a different headunit. I just hope there's noticeable improvement, and that we are not trading one problem for another one, like we did we the last "fix".

I have an appointment for tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, so I'll find out pretty soon. Bill Ray Nissan in Longwood (Orlando area) has two of the new amps in stock, and I will be one of the guinea pigs.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:08 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink We'll all be anxiously awaiting your verdict

I'm quite sure that you will indeed know if this 'fix' was really worth the wait long before you ever finish your Z ride home from the dealership. Popping in your favorite discs with the anticipation of hearing them a way that your car has never been capable of producing (except only in 350Z ads) - may soon become a reality. You will be either excited to be the first ones to be the bearer of very GOOD news on this forum - or - you will have to delay your comments until you've made some plans for the inevitable proper measures to create your own desired audio system.

Here's wishing you the very best of luck. We'll stay tuned to the final outcome of your upcoming [TSB NTB03-087] Bose adventure.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:59 PM
z350dude

Looks like the Canadian models are also getting the fix. I was at the dealership today and was told by the sevice manager that a note just came in about the new amp and more direction will be sent to them on October 16th. Cant wait to get this finally fixed!!
Old 10-06-2003, 11:16 PM
PropaGanda

Whats the word on this fix for the G35C with the Bose? Is it the same system? Would we need to ask for the same amp number?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:18 AM
6kLaunch

Exclamation

Where can I get a copy of the TSB's? I can't find the correct nissan site apparently. I went to the Nissan TSB page, but there was no mention of anything new.

I want to take one in hand when I visit my frendly Nissan dealer so they can't claim they never heard of it.

Last edited by 6kLaunch; 10-07-2003 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:34 AM
SkyMan

Originally posted by z350dude
Looks like the Canadian models are also getting the fix. I was at the dealership today and was told by the sevice manager that a note just came in about the new amp and more direction will be sent to them on October 16th. Cant wait to get this finally fixed!!
i just called my dealer, he knows absolutely nothing
Old 10-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Natal

Default The Verdict is in!

Originally posted by frankmusic
I'm quite sure that you will indeed know if this 'fix' was really worth the wait long before you ever finish your Z ride home from the dealership. Popping in your favorite discs with the anticipation of hearing them a way that your car has never been capable of producing (except only in 350Z ads) - may soon become a reality. You will be either excited to be the first ones to be the bearer of very GOOD news on this forum - or - you will have to delay your comments until you've made some plans for the inevitable proper measures to create your own desired audio system.

Here's wishing you the very best of luck. We'll stay tuned to the final outcome of your upcoming [TSB NTB03-087] Bose adventure.
Sorry, but the TSB NTB03-086 (pre August 2002) fix is not "the fix" we wanted! The radio sounds much better and doesn't have the tinny sound; however, the bass is not what I expected. I can tell the difference between -5 and +5, but it doesn't have the "thump".

I was happy when I turned on the radio as I left the dealership, and I could hear the difference between the old amp and the new one. They weren't lying when they said it would resolve the "clarity" isssue, but it didn't do much for the bass. Don't get me wrong, the sound is now OK, but my expectations were not met. Yes, I am disappointed; however, deep down inside I had the feeling that Nissan/Bose would only patch the system instead of completeley fixing it; unfortunately, I was right. Maybe I'm too picky and old, so I'll let some of the younger members, with a better set of ears, pass judgment after you've listened to your Bose system with the 28060-CE400 amp.

BTW, the TSB calls for the old amp to be destroyed (hammered/chipped) by the dealer. I guess they really knew how bad the CC400 and CD400 sounded!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:55 AM
frankmusic

Thumbs down That's a real shame!

Hi Natal,
I've got a pretty good idea how you're feeling right about now - but you have indeed influenced my decision to follow through with yet another Bose 'fix' that really ain't THE FIX. Oh well, you expected better as you had deserved from the moment of purchase. It's a shame that this quest must obviously end this way. All this forum can do right now is to inform the potential future "Z" owners to avoid the word "BOSE" from their "Z" options list. It isn't worth the dough and it isn't worth the headache to force them later on to replace it. Hang in there.

I remain firm on my past statement about the Bose people:
"Between the disastrous first 350Z Bose version and the impotent second Bose version, you would swear the engineers at Bose are either tone deaf - or they enjoy playing a good prank. (2 times in a row)"

Sorry Bose...........We Won't Get Fooled Again...NO - NO!
Old 10-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Z-Desperado

I still feel that this last Bose fix would not be what I wanted after signing the petition and all the calls I made to a Michelle B. I gave up and fixed the base myself like I have posted with a new subwoofer speaker and an amp to feed it. I hope the rest of you are satisfied with what you get but for me I will not do it. If anything I will keep changing the Bose system with four speakers for the doors and rear speakers and probably a real amp.
After reading a couple of your post that you did have the change good luck and doesn't sound that great.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:41 AM
frankmusic

Thumbs up Your Method is Sounding Better Already!

Hi Z-Desperado,

So, you've read the Bose bad news? I guess there's NO real surprise here about the disappointing outcome. I think that the very next best approach would be the path that you chose. I personally do not want to change the head unit until way, way down the road. However, if replacing the subwoofer and amp did the trick for you, that sounds like a great idea.

*A few questions for you if I may:

(1) Did you install your new amp in the same location?
(2) Is your new power amp rated higher? (watts)
(3) Do you have any Brand Name recommendations for each item? [Subwoofer and Amp]
(4) Besides eventually changing the rear and door speakers, what other additions would you consider adding to that system.
(5) ......Possibly an Equalizer to further enhanced tone control?

I guess I'll be doing some car audio shopping real soon.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Z-Desperado

I gave up on Bose and Nissan. Even if they fix this system it may still sound poor. I bought JL Audio 10W3-D4V2 sub and a JL 250w Monoblock Sub Amp.Var Xo amp located under the passengers seat. The Bose sub we took out looks like a clock radio speaker being the coil is the smallest I have seen on any car speaker. That is why I gave up and made the changes because Bose just doesn’t make the quality they use to.
I may change other things later except the head unit is made by Clarion and I plan on keeping it or I could change my mind about this also. The sound is what I want and am satisfied that it is for the best for me.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:58 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Z-Desperado
I gave up on Bose and Nissan. I may change other things later except the head unit is made by Clarion and I plan on keeping it or I could change my mind about this also. The sound is what I want and am satisfied that it is for the best for me.
FYI, I put a new amp, all new focal speakers, and a nice sub enclosure last Febuary. I kept the stock head unit thinking it would not be that much better with after market ( I wanted to keep the car stereo looking as stock as possible). Then, in August, I put an Eclipse head unit in. I cannot believe how much better the Eclipse sounds than the Clarion. Trust me, put in a new head unit.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Z-Desperado

zland

I may changed the head unit after all. Sound like a great system you have going.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:50 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I found the bass a lot crisper and all throughout the sound spectrum, much cleaner. Another thing, with the new head unit, I can turn full blast without any distortion. I feel there was as much a jump from new head unit from old as there was from stock speakers and no sub to all new amp, speakers, and sub.

I guess you can say a stereo is only as good as the weakest component. I replaced everything but the head unit thus it became the weakest component.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Z-Desperado

I have previously own an Eclipse head unit and sold it when I traded cars. They are the premium units of the real high-end systems. You differently made a good choice and is something that I should put on top of my changes
Old 10-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Wedge

Sorry to hear this was not the total fix. I was hoping for some bass. I get mine replaced tomorrow and I will see how it is after that.

The 087 TSB is out there, but the nissan news will not be posting it. I had to stay on top of my dealer who kept claiming all he had was the 086. Once I told him that my consumer rep had read TSB NTB03-087 to me over the phone and that the classification code was EL-03-034, he said he would call me back. When he called back, he had miraculously found it. Maybe he just didn't get it and then called another dealer and got a copy..........who knows?

Well.........if I got everyones hopes up for nothing, I apologize. .......just thought I would pass along information to the rest of you as I found out about it. I should have gone by that old saying "Pessimists are seldom disappointed" on this one and kept my optimism in check. Believe me, it is tough to get inside these things........a hard battle. Hope I don't have to do it again.

I will post my impressions of the system after the new amp is installed.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:16 PM
frankmusic

Default Looking Forward to Your Critique

Hi Wedge,
Look there is no sense getting down on yourself over this issue. Your diligence was the correct approach, but maybe Bose just can't deliver the goods. (Are ya listening Mr. Bose?) The real culprits in this dilemma will remain the BOSE corporation. I just don't get it. Here's an established company that is in the business of selling AUDIO. They didn't just begin selling their wares last year. They've been around for a long time. This has got to be a MEGA embarrassment for them. (as well as they should be) In spite of the many complaints that were galantly directed their way, they're still offering what amounts to be another cheap band-aid 'fix'. There is NO excuse for this nonsense. (not at this stage of the game) To hell with BOSE!! Maybe we need to inform the new people who want a new "Z" to just stay away from the Bose system where ever possible.

Nissan should also seriously consider dropping their future contracts with Bose as soon as possible. That piece of audio junk is certainly an item that will inevitably end up their customer's trash bucket sooner or later. It's really a shame.

Maybe it's come to that time where we begin to focus on some of the affordable audio alternatives.
ex: Power Amp replacements, Sub Woofer replacements, L&R Speaker replacements, etc. etc.

It's totally exasperating, I tell Ya!
Old 10-07-2003, 04:37 PM
SungNamZ

Had the HD unit replaced about two week ago when I got the message "Check Disc" on the display. The sound improved and can now enjoy "All CD Mix". Now a possible Amp change once I get the letter and the dealer is aware of what is going on. I have a 2003 "Tour" with an 11/02 manufacture date. We will see just how good things get? Will post!
Old 10-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

Road and Track just published their long term review of the 350Z. (sorry, I don't have the link handy) They were very pleased with the Z overall but made the comment that the Bose system sounded like it was under water. They recommended turning it off and enjoying the sound of the car. I would guess that the article will cause some embarrassment for the folks at Bose.

Quick Reply: Bose Issue is Resolved!