Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 05:45 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey BOSE.....Listen Up!!

This is only the beginning of the stream of BAD PRESS that Bose going to see. The Nissan 350Z is still selling like hot cakes. (Hoorah)

The high sales volume will help to expose the inept system that Bose Corporation offers in a GREAT sports car. Years down the road, the current 350Z will probably be remembered for it's great performance, attractive body lines and it's affordable price.

Oh yeah.............and it's miserable excuse for a modern day Premium Car Stereo........manufactured by the dim bulb, tone deaf engineers at the BOSE Corporation. (I think it's time for those tone challenged imbeciles at Bose to consider a career change.)

I thought I'd never see the day that I'd say it ........ BOSE, BLOSE!!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Wedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Frankmusic......

Also, here is the link to the Road and Track article mentioned by Pooh2002

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 10-08-2003, 05:24 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by Wedge
Thanks for the kind words Frankmusic......

Also, here is the link to the Road and Track article mentioned by Pooh2002

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1
Thanks!
I added the info to the petition.

Come on folks!
SIGN THE FRICKIN PETITION!
GET MORE PEOPLE TO SIGN TOO!
The list of names will be mailed off this weekend, 10/12/2003, but it is never too late to sign (a link to the URL will be provided in the letter to Nissan/Bose).

Pv
Old 10-08-2003, 09:23 AM
frankmusic

Exclamation SIGN UP!!!

Hey People,

Let's Go! - Let's Go! - Let's Go! - Let's Go!

There's certainly strength in numbers!

http://www.swooby.com/z/stereo/petition/ - Sign the Nissan/Bose recall petition!

The list of names will be mailed off this weekend, 10/12/2003, but it is never too late to sign (a link to the URL will be provided in the letter to Nissan/Bose).

Old 10-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Scotty

Has anybody got the fix done yet? I ordered my parts today and the dealer said it will be here in 2 days. I am wondering IF this really IS the fix we have been waiting for? Please post your opinion.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Wedge

Scotty,

You must have missed Natal's report on page three of this thread. He had the fix done. I also had the fix done today and agree wholeheartedly with Natal's assesment of the fix.

For those of you who want the fix but find your dealer does not have the TSB's, I will tell you that my dealer had both of them. They are out there. If your dealer does not have them then have him call his service contact at Nissan corporate and get them. They can send them via e-mail instantly.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:29 PM
frankmusic

Angry Let BOSE Hear YOU!!!

Regardless if the alleged 'fix' ISN'T satisfying the many hopeful in this quest - - that Nissan/Bose Recall petition should boast as many signatures as possible. After all, the votes will be coming in soon regarding each customer's installment assessment.
After one week we could realistically see a score of.....
Bose thumbs down = 100
Bose thumbs up = 0 ....just after one week. (or more lopsided)

Maybe Bose should consider randomly selecting 20 names from that petition and invite them to hear what their labs have to offer. Instead of blindly offering another miniscule frequency adjustment - have these randomly selected complainants advise Bose on a more favorable/proper 'fix'.
Who knows?

However, we do know this much...., after two attempts by Bose,

we're unfortunately left with more..... !!!
Old 10-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Natal

Originally posted by Wedge
Scotty,

You must have missed Natal's report on page three of this thread. He had the fix done. I also had the fix done today and agree wholeheartedly with Natal's assesment of the fix.
<...snip...>
Wedge,

Sorry to hear that you're not happy, either. I was hoping that my assessment of the latest fix was too harsh. BTW, thanks for posting the heads-up on the TSB.

The sad part of this incomplete fix is that Nissan will probably be happy and satisfied that they cleaned up the "clarity" issue, since the sound is no longer muffled.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Wedge

Hi Natal,

The more I play the system the more bass I seem to hear depending on the CD I am playing. You won't believe this but I popped in a Bob Seeger CD and cranked the bass to +5 and the treble to -5 just for the heck of it. All of a sudden, I felt a thump through the seat and my rear view mirror was actually vibrating.

I am not talking about that HUGE thump you hear when certain cars pull up to you at the stop light that makes you want to slap the driver around and send him to his room........but a thump none the less.

No matter what, this will never be a system that sounds as good as a decent aftermarket system. I just want it to be an acceptable system. I would much rather spend the cash on mods other than the sound system.

Also, did you thoroughly check the rubber gasket around your hatch area? They didn't get my plastic back on right and had the gasket partially under the plastic. If I had not caught that, there may have been a leak. Also, that black foam block that is on the left side under the floor covering the amp was not in place properly.

Last edited by Wedge; 10-08-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:05 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

You guys are 100% reinforcing my decision on why I did not buy a Touring model. I got a model E, ran with the 5K and purchsed a $2500 stereo system that rocks. I spend the other $2500 towards my HRE wheels. I guess I did not want the leather that bad.

I you you guys get a fix that is worthy of the extra money you spent on your stereo.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2003, 03:23 AM
frankmusic

Wink THANKS Folks!

For those "Z" owners who have had the alleged new Bose 'fix' installed at their local Nissan dealer - Thanks for your assessment.
Please keep all of them coming in as these installs progress.
(...also double check their workmanship upon completion) If you are able to prepare your "Z" before you bring it in for the swap (removing panels, etc.) you might be more pleased with the final assembly. [...just a thought]

For those "Z" owners who chose the "E" 350Z or the "P" 350Z over the Touring package........I believe there are some lessons for the Touring owners to be learned. They're NOT bringing their vehicles back to the dealership for amp swaps that aren't meeting customer's expectations. (....also they are using that saved extra cash for other personal mods)

The ultimate 'fix' verdict still remains to be seen/heard upon completion for the willing majority of Touring owners. Soooooooooo, keep your fingers crossed!

Time will tell, for sure.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:50 AM
Z-Desperado

I glad also that people are having the so-called fix because it reinforces what I did and gave up on Bose and their subwoofer. I do think Bose owes me some money but that’s not going to happen.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

I'm getting a new amp tomorrow. My dealer service manager personally called me and told me to bring the car in after I informed him about none of his service guys knew anything about Nissan service bulletin.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:11 AM
frankmusic

Wink Best of Luck with your Amp swap!

Luv Mntrl,

Make sure you 'thoroughly' inspect your car after they service it. If their crew knew nothing about an official amp swap, they may also no nothing about the proper replacement procedure.

However, at the end of the day, I think we may all wind up doing what Z-Desperado did to remedy his Bose Headache. That particular course of action may in fact be the inevitable resolution. One doesn't mind making (sometimes costly) additions to personalize and/or enhance our vehicles. BUT - when we MUST find ourselves making wholesale changes for high priced items that DO NOT meet advertised expectations............... That really Hurt$$$!

OUCH!
Old 10-09-2003, 09:30 AM
swoobyz

Default Re: THANKS Folks!

Originally posted by frankmusic
For those "Z" owners who chose the "E" 350Z or the "P" 350Z over the Touring package........I believe there are some lessons for the Touring owners to be learned. They're NOT bringing their vehicles back to the dealership for amp swaps that aren't meeting customer's expectations. (....also they are using that saved extra cash for other personal mods)
The whole problem is that the "T" model did not have the option to get any stereo other than the Bose.
We were unfairly suckered in to getting the Bose, thinking that at least it would be better than the Stock.
If we had been given option to NOT get the Bose, I think a lot of us would have taken that option (I know I would have).
But now, if we want a decent stereo, we all have to pay a premium to COMPLETELY replace a stereo that we already paid a premium for!
We paid a double premium.
It was Nissan's marketing that planned this f'ed up pricing scheme and locked us in to the Bose option.
I think it is Nissan that owes us a refund for the entire cost of the Bose stereo (as the entire system has to be replaced to get the sound that was advertised).
Whether that is $200 or $1000, I dunno...but a lot of us are NOT going to shut up until we are fairly compensated.
If Nissan wants to split the cost w/ Bose, then that is between them.

Pv

PS: I am now VERY pleased by the turn out in the Nissan/Bose Petition.
There is an important thread that shows 175 out of 179 are disappointed in the Bose stereo:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/40303-petition-for-tsb-to-fix-bose-stereo-problems.html
I wanted at least as many signatures as are in that thread.
The petition is now up to 176 names.
WOOT!
Still a few more days left to find more signatures!

Last edited by swoobyz; 10-09-2003 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Scotty

Are there two recalls on the Bose fix.?
I told my dealer I thought there were two
recalls 086 and 087...The dealer says only one recall exists, 086. What is the real truth and what is 087? Please let me know.....Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Wedge

Scotty........

Absolutely, positively, no-doubt about it, pinky swear, .........there are TWO!!

I saw hard copies of both yesterday at my dealer. Your dealer was left out of the loop on the 087 just as my dealer was at first.

Call 1-800-nissan1...........or better yet, have your dealer call them while you are there.........talk to a Nissan Consumer Affairs rep. He or she will be able to verify that TSB NTB 03-087 exists.

Both TSB's came out on the same day but for some reason many dealers only got the 086.......or mistakenly thought the 087 was a duplicate and tossed it.

You can also tell your dealer that the 087 has a classification code of EL-03-034 while the 086 has a classification code of EL-03-026.

If your car was produced after 9/28/02, then the 087 covers you.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:31 AM
frankmusic

Exclamation Re: Re: THANKS Folks!

Originally posted by swoobyz
If we had been given option to NOT get the Bose, I think a lot of us would have taken that option (I know I would have).
But now, if we want a decent stereo, we all have to pay a premium to COMPLETELY replace a stereo that we already paid a premium for! We paid a double premium.
swoobyz is correct-o-mundo! However, I'm wondering just how long are the touring owners (myself included) willing to wait for a a satisfactory 'fix' before they begin their own "FIX"! I too am quite embarrassed to play that thing. With everything that has been posted about the Bose system, leads one to believe that the problem is more extensive than originally thought. People have reported that the sub weighs less than the bracket that holds it. (tiny magnet) The door speakers are just as cheap. So, if Bose/Nissan has agreed to an amp swap, that installation may NEVER be the true 'fix' for the impotent system. What Next then?

What we need, is a knowledgeable rep (from both companies) to publicly own up to the problem and state that are willing to provide a comprehensive solution. They need to make things right and begin to actively lay out a plan to finally 'SATISFY' the 350Z Touring customers!
Give them what they already paid for - OR - reimburse them!

Old 10-09-2003, 12:02 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The more I learn about Bose, the more I dislike them. To begin with, they typically run amps at each speaker thus if a speaker goes out, it cost much more to replace a speaker. In addition, they run less ohms than other systems thus you can not replace a speaker with another brand. This leads to "you better like it as is" because if you don't, it will be very expensive to upgrade.

Most people that want to upgrade their system end up just removing it and starting over. I guess that is not what most of you want to hear especially if it is you that is paying to start over.

Lesson = dont buy a Bose system in a car, you can get more for cheaper and easier to upgrade, replace components later.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:15 PM
SnoopyZ

So is this new "fix" worth even doing? I have the original Bose system... "pre August 2002".

Quick Reply: Bose Issue is Resolved!