Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Installer says that flush mount is impossible

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
GalvatronType_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installer says that flush mount is impossible

So I bought a JVC DD GPS head unit (from amazon for a VERY reasonable price) and the installer I called said that for the Z, a flush mount is near impossible and that if I wanted that, they would have to customize a new dash piece with a bigger opening and this would cost more.

So I ask, how did you all get your HUs flush mounted? Is there a special mounting bracket I should get or did you all get a custom dash installed?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
StreetOC192

Use a dremel (or similar) and elongate the holes in the OEM mounting brackets so the DD headunit will sit back further. This DIY mod is free.

That installer is trying to upsell you something that you don't need, probably because you aren't getting the headunit from him. I would recommend installing yourself (not very hard), or finding a different HONEST installer.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

^ word
Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen that some just drill the holes further back on the mounting brackets, hence why it would sit in further. Your installer is trying to rape you.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
So I bought a JVC DD GPS head unit (from amazon for a VERY reasonable price) and the installer I called said that for the Z, a flush mount is near impossible and that if I wanted that, they would have to customize a new dash piece with a bigger opening and this would cost more.

So I ask, how did you all get your HUs flush mounted? Is there a special mounting bracket I should get or did you all get a custom dash installed?
I would go somewhere else simply for getting that answer alone.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:09 PM
GalvatronType_R

I had a feeling my chain was being pulled. Oh well, time to take my business elsewhere...
Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM
bigaudiofanatic
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Use a dremel (or similar) and elongate the holes in the OEM mounting brackets so the DD headunit will sit back further. This DIY mod is free.

That installer is trying to upsell you something that you don't need, probably because you aren't getting the headunit from him. I would recommend installing yourself (not very hard), or finding a different HONEST installer.
I agree I have done it before just takes time.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Phantom_Z

My installer made the necessary adjustments to make it fit flush, he would not have it any other way.

Definitely take your business elsewhere!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

part of what your installer MAY be saying is that the JVC units swing face mechanism may work in a way different than some other units, in that it doesnt come straight forward and then swing out (such as alpine) but just come down right away, if this one has a fat face plate on, there is a certain limit on how flush you can make the surround go around the HU, or else when it swings down, it will hit the opening.

so often, you are left with two choices, either have it flush depths wise, but have a much bigger opening htan normal to accomodate the face, or have it sticking out a little with minimum opening.

the trick is to find the right balance.

against just a theory since i am not famaliar with the unit. but either way, he should be able to try and flush it as much as possible while still maintaining the opening. whether or not it will be truly "FLUSH", that depends on the HU.

b
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM
GalvatronType_R

^Thanks for the reply but it doesn't apply in my situation. I have the JVC KW-NT1, a double-DIN fixed face unit with a loading slote, i.e., no motorized down or swing up face at all. I do hear you re: the removable face consideration.

Since this thread, I've seen many pics of others here who have had their double-DIN HUs installed flush to the dash so I'll find an installer who can do the same.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM
sincere85

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
part of what your installer MAY be saying is that the JVC units swing face mechanism may work in a way different than some other units, in that it doesnt come straight forward and then swing out (such as alpine) but just come down right away, if this one has a fat face plate on, there is a certain limit on how flush you can make the surround go around the HU, or else when it swings down, it will hit the opening.

so often, you are left with two choices, either have it flush depths wise, but have a much bigger opening htan normal to accomodate the face, or have it sticking out a little with minimum opening.

the trick is to find the right balance.

against just a theory since i am not famaliar with the unit. but either way, he should be able to try and flush it as much as possible while still maintaining the opening. whether or not it will be truly "FLUSH", that depends on the HU.

b

GalvatronType_R although, it doesn't apply to ur model, 16psibrick's theory is correct for certain JVC DD models. I have the motorized and detachable DD JVC unit and when adjusted flush the face could not move freely. If I wanted it truly flush, the opening would have to be increased so much, I wouldn't have a trim piece left. Good job,16psibrick, your theory is now Fact.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 PM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by sincere85
GalvatronType_R although, it doesn't apply to ur model, 16psibrick's theory is correct for certain JVC DD models. I have the motorized and detachable DD JVC unit and when adjusted flush the face could not move freely. If I wanted it truly flush, the opening would have to be increased so much, I wouldn't have a trim piece left. Good job,16psibrick, your theory is now Fact.
It didnt sound like he was denying that with the other models that was in fact a problem. He said that in his situation those rules do not apply.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:22 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

after doing about 45 or so double din installs in the Zs, i prolly have figured out a formula hehe...though never worked wtih the jvc.

for this instance though, it osunds like hte installer is too lazy to drill new holes to fit the unit better.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:37 PM
sincere85

Originally Posted by TheOtherRob
It didnt sound like he was denying that with the other models that was in fact a problem. He said that in his situation those rules do not apply.

I was aware that it didn't apply in his situation. That's why I said, "GalvatronType_R although, it doesn't apply to ur model". I just wanted to give 16psibrick credit for making a fact based theory that was true in my personal situation. Just giving credit where credit is due. Sorry if I was unclear in my post.