Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

TOUCHSCREEN Headunit Help ... Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 AM
a1i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOUCHSCREEN Headunit Help ... Need advice

I'm looking to buy a double-din touchscreen head-unit asap for my G35 coupe. I frequent Gdriver as well as this forum, so I thought I'd try my luck here see if anyone here had any input.
Head-unit guru's, please chime in...

Requirements:
- Looking for a CD/DVD/DVD-RW/DIVX, etc. compatible touchscreen
- No need for navi, I intend on retaining stock navi as well
- Budget $550ish
- Full 7'', I don't like the screens that take away from the 7'' with other head unit controls. I want a clean looking screen, almost OEM-like.

Would be nice to find:
- Something iPhone friendly (ipod controls, and even bluetooth)
- In-dash CD Changer would be a great positive as well

If I don't get one with an in-dash cd changer... can someone direct me to some good, reasonably priced cd changers that I can store in my trunk?

There are 2 that I'm primarly looking at:
- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105AVX8...=jvc+avx&ssi=0
- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVHP...ssi=0&tp=20217

I've had a hard time finding reviews for the avh-p6000 (which was my original choice), so I'm trying to do my reserach. If someone can share some input on either of these 2 head-units, or open my eyes to other possible units, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 AM
StreetOC192

The JVC is $120 less and has more EQ bands, higher voltage preamp outs, detachable face, compatible with steering wheel controls (if you have them), optional HD radio, USB port, SD card slot, supports AAC format, iPod audio AND video.

On the plus side for Pioneer, a better radio tuner (more sensitive), and the face is motorized instead of just flip down. You lose iPod video support
Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM
T-Stan

i was looking at the same jvc unit to buy. what do you mean by the face isnt motorized? arent they all motorized?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:58 PM
T-Stan

also if your leaning towards the jvc, ive seen them on amazon for like $350, so you can find them cheaper then crutchfield.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 PM
gflack

I have never been a fan of JVC. I currently own and have had great experiences with Pioneer... that is my choice...
Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by T-Stan
i was looking at the same jvc unit to buy. what do you mean by the face isnt motorized? arent they all motorized?
I don't own the JVC unit, but just from reading the specs, it sounded like the face flips down and you would have to manually push it back up.
HOWEVER, reading comprehension owns me......
Right from Cruthfield's hands-on research tab:
"Product Overview: The KW-AVX810 double-DIN multimedia unit includes a DVD/CD receiver with a 7" motorized touch-screen monitor which is detachable........ "
I stand corrected!

Originally Posted by gflack
I have never been a fan of JVC. I currently own and have had great experiences with Pioneer... that is my choice...
There is absolutely nothing wrong with JVC headunits. They are very reliable and offer a great set of features for your money. JVC actually is the build house for the lower end Eclipse headunits (or at least was). From what I understand, JVC and Eclipse are the only 2 commercially available headinut manufacturers still making their units in Japan. Pioneer has run into some reliability issues over the past several years, mostly surrounding their CD transports. How long have CD 's been around now? If you can't get that right by now.......

Last edited by StreetOC192; 09-10-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 AM
T-Stan

oh okay, i was just making sure, i was looking at jvc units a little more cause i wanted one, however i was looking at some of the reviews and they say the waiting time with the ipod, and sd lots are very long. thats the only down side to the jvc units. i have talked to a lot of people and they say not to get the jvc. You tube also has great reviews and videos on any head unit.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
StreetOC192

oh okay, i was just making sure, i was looking at jvc units a little more cause i wanted one, however i was looking at some of the reviews and they say the waiting time with the ipod, and sd lots are very long. thats the only down side to the jvc units. i have talked to a lot of people and they say not to get the jvc. You tube also has great reviews and videos on any head unit.
You will find people that will tell you bad things about whatever it is you are looking to buy regardless of brand. People have different tastes and needs. Most multimedia source units today have load times associated with them. It's a price to pay for advancing in technology. And not just for car audio either. Look at BluRay disc players.....some could take as long as 3 minutes just to load up to the main menu of the movie! I'm not defending the load times for any unit, just stating why. You really need to asses what you need in a source unit and what you want to pay for it. If you can get to a store to demo the units yourself, that would be ideal.

JVC has been in the car audio industry for a very long time. They have always been consistent with quality and features packed into a value headunit. Last year JVC and Kenwood joined forces on the Corporate level. I believe the manufacturing plants are still separate, which is why I am pretty sure JVC still manufactures in Japan, while Kenwood I think is manufactured in Malaysia (I may have the wrong country here).

Last edited by StreetOC192; 09-10-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 PM
T-Stan

right on, well i went in to my local audio store and had the alpine w203 installed, he got me a great deal, i paid a little more than i wanted to but i feel it will be better in the long run. and yes it does help to play around with the unit first before you buy. which is one of the downsides to buying online
Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
pbass6811

also if your leaning towards the jvc, ive seen them on amazon for like $350, so you can find them cheaper then crutchfield.
Wow! The least expensive I've seen is $450 on ebay. I'll definitely check that out. I'm looking at the JVC unit also.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:46 PM
jonny_q

get the avh-6000 hands down
i have had an avh-6800 move between 4 cars with me in the last 3 years. its been in my dc2 integra, then to my fd rx7 back to the dc2 integra (while apex seals were being replaced and dont even get me started on that) then to my z33 350z. i have the cd-ib100II ipod adapter and the vdp1 processor and love it. recently the track buttons started being sketchy so i shipped it out for service under extended warranty and installed a jvc 810 in its place and hate it so much. i am counting the days til i get my pioneer back. the menu's are nicer. the ipod interface is better, faster, and easier to navigate. the 6 disk is nice for roadtrips with dvd's and mp3 cds so u never need to load it. and the jvc only gives you a single sub preout not a pair so it is a weak *** signal compared to the pioneer. the only gain was usb which i dont use since i have an ipod.
the only problem you may have is iphone or ipod touch interface. i do not know if the avh-6000 is able to do the newer ipods so you may have an issue with that but technically i feel the pioneer is better in so many other ways its worth it.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 PM
jonny_q

if its helps in any way i have been a professional installer for over 4 years now and have seen many seasons and evolutions of product lines and in my experience pioneer has much higher quality and reliablity than the jvc for head units
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 PM
T-Stan

how about the alpine units?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 AM
duro78

Are you crazy never buy from crutchfield they add like 30% to their mark up to pay for those catalogues and wonderful customer service
Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 AM
T-Stan

ya, cruchfield is really expensive, and they think you are getting a good deal by giving you all the wiring and harness for free, when its just added to the unit price.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 AM
a1i

I appreciate the replies guys. I'm leaning a bit more towards the Pioneer now.

The AVH-P4100 is starting to look attractive too...
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7598/AVHP...MP3-Player.htm

blah.. I need to decide!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:18 PM
T-Stan

i was looking at this one before i bought mine, the only thing that i didnt like was that the lip of the screen with the buttons hangover. but thats just me, there are a bunch of videos on you tube of this unit just type in the name. it helped me alot
Old 09-14-2009, 07:55 PM
pbass6811

I looked at them all! I'm having the JVC KW-AVX820 installed tomorrow. I just REALLY like the detachable face and the built in iPod/iPhone controls.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 PM
T-Stan

let me know how you like it, that was my next choice before i got the alpine w203.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:15 PM
audisyr

jensen vm9022, bluetooth, dvd/cd, nav compatible, direct ipod connect, 3 av inputs, touchscreen... under 400. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails TOUCHSCREEN Headunit Help ... Need advice-z-3.jpg  

Last edited by audisyr; 09-14-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: TOUCHSCREEN Headunit Help ... Need advice