Old 10-10-2003, 04:31 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sound insulation ,help please!

o.k a few easy questions.

1. What type did you use, dynamat, bbead ,fatmat, or other
2. Where did you put it and how many layers
3. how did it work, was road noise reduced alot?
4. Is it worth it?

Old 10-10-2003, 05:25 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dynomat=lbs.

IMO its prolly 50% or more of the weight difference between the Z and the G35 coupe.

I dont care what it does, if I wanted a quiet ride at the expense of performance, theres better cars to go with.(G35C being one of them)
Old 10-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Ralphus

I've used dynamat, brown bread, edead, and damplifier. I only use damplifier now when considering price to performance. eDead is also good. Dynamat is overpriced, even when I got it at cost it was too expensive. Brown bread is over priced as well. I find that Dynamat is easier to apply and the temporary smell is less severe, however it's still not worth the price as all of these products perform similarly.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com
http://www.edesignaudio.com

What are you trying to achieve? If you want to stop rattles, you don't need that much, but if you're trying to block road/engine noise and really improve the sound then you're going to need a lot. This is what I have:

On sports car: Do the back hatch/truck, and the door panels. Maybe do two layers on the door. Then go through and apply some material to various rattling pieces.

Now if you want a big difference you have to do the floor, however the heavy (usually 60mm) floor stuff is gonna be heavy and thick, so you have to decide how important good sounds are to ya. If you're buying mid-range equipment I wouldn't worry about it. However if you spent on top of the line stuff, you're wasting your money if you don't sound deaden properly.

Now the other extreme:
On a truck with big time sound system: 150sq ft damplifier on walls, doors roof two layers in most places. 100sq ft of damplifer extreme on the floor (2 layers), on layer on back wall. 40sq ft of closed cell foam on the floor (my carpet is really scretched). The result is incredible, I can hear significantly hear less noise from outside the car, and almost no rattles present. (I do still have some to track down though). At 70mph on the freeway you can whisper, and of course the system sounds really f'n good.

The part I hate is taking apart and installing the interior, it's a pain! To apply, I cut the basic shape, use a heat gun to heat the metal up, and lay it down pressing it down with my hand and a screen roller. Just make sure you wear gloves cause it's some hot/sharp ****. On the doors I go across really slow with a big piece and and cut as I go.

Some people say that if you don't do the whole car, you're wasting your time, but I can honestly some is better than none, especially on the doors.

Really, it just boils down to how much you love your sounds, I
gladly trade a couple thousandths in the quarter to be able to jam all day!!

Last edited by Ralphus; 10-10-2003 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:48 PM
second skin rep

man ralphus!
you are really pushing Second skin
Maybe I need to put you on the payroll and send you on the road
Thanks

ANT