Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Hidden antenna+dual 8" behind seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
bmxpert57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden antenna+dual 8" behind seats

well ive searched this forum about hidden antennas(body shop will be shaving mine pretty soon) but couldnt find a real definite answer. Well, after multiple testings I have found this setup to be as good if not better then the old OEM+s2000 shorty. All plug and play, I used a metra universal ampllified glass mount antenna with a nissan antenna adapter. Mounted the antenna inside 3rd brake light(barley noticeable)then the wire running through the hatch boot, into the cabin, and down inside the compartment behind the driver. There you will find a OEM antenna connection, just unplug it and plug in the nissan antenna adapter, wire up the power antenna lead and violla.
here is is;

Works pretty dang good!@! now I can get rid of that ugly oem one.

Next was bass. This is a DD and a Grocery getter, so space was valuable. I opted for dual 8" solobaric l5's. one behind each seat utilizing the much wasted space from the factory! each in a .7cu ft. sealed enclosure. I have 2 OEM bose grills that will go over each side and look sweet!@ Also goin in this weekend is dynamat, jute, and liquid dampening. Gonna sound like a lexus at hwy speedswell...maybe not that good.

CHEERS
Old 11-04-2009, 05:21 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice install, does the antenna block the brake light at all?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
bigcloud

Nice!! In for the final result!!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 PM
exZilaration

Clever
Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 PM
nismo542

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks great so far! what are you doing for amp placement?

i build the box for my system in a similar manner, you need the use something besides the backstrap to hold the box to the body. in a short amount of time the srews will rip out and you will have to redo the mount.

i used 1/8" metal strips to make a bracket and bolted it to the box and used the stock sub panel/glovebox bots to mount the bracket to the body. it worked out great and there is no chance of it coming loose.

just a tip to prevent re-work it in the future.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 PM
bmxpert57

^thanks, ya they have steel brackets on them, nut and bolt into the wood and the OEM 10mm to the metal body. I ran out of brackets on the drivers bottom and did a quick backstrap for mock up. I did notice there are 2 threaded 10mm mounts hanging from the top inside the compartment....maybe i could use that for a rear mount did you fit a 8, or 10?
amps are going on a mdf cutout bolted in the spare tire location.
also..i had to cut notches in the pass side plastic for the oem bose cover to snap into it.
has anyone used the liquid sound deadening, if so, have you applied it over dynamat?
thnaks
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 PM
nismo542

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i used an 8" L7. here is the link to my build https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...ave-space.html

i wouldnt use the liquid sound deadening material. i have heard it is very hard to work with and should be a last resort. just use 2 layers of dynamat xtreme or equivalent. that is what i have always done with good sucess. look into edead, you can get it cheap on ebay and it works great.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:35 AM
duro78

Nice build but why l5's there are so many better subs out there. Keeping it traditional (round subs) would of left the option for an easy change if you wanted to upgrade down the road.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:39 AM
StreetOC192

Very nice. I'm glad the antenna worked out for you. We had several questions about a hidden alternative over the years, but nobody that I know of has tried anything......until now.

And, the sub enclosures look good so far. I hope they provide you with the sound you are after.

Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:10 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Im in for final product.. Looks good..Ive been meaning to do a "sub behind the seats" setup and the hidden antenna is a great IDEA IMO... Shaved antenna and no rear wiper would look quite clean if you ask me.. Props OP..
Old 11-05-2009, 04:18 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Part numbers for DIY

Originally Posted by bmxpert57
I used a metra universal amplified glass mount antenna with a Nissan antenna adapter.
Do you still have the boxes to these parts? Can you provide us with the part numbers and such so that others can find these pieces easily?

A quick Google search came up with this? from the looks of it - im guessing this is what you got? can you confirm?

Metra Model number: 44-UA200

METRA - Glass mount antenna:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

Antenna Adapter:
Metra - probably best to call them depending on year of your car?
looks like:
http://retailer.installationexcellen...C-6EAD1031BDF7

If you can, post up the part numbers and year of your car?
-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 11-05-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 AM
adamtaylorpcb

so what did you do with the hole in the body for the antenna
Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 AM
vbgambini

Ive been thinking of a way to do something like this with the antenna. Can you provide a step by step tutorial on how to do this? What plugs into what? Where things go? Parts needed? etc. I might be doing this soon. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Boostedtrack350

Careful mounting the Amp in the spare tire compartment. Mine kept getting too hot there!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vbgambini
Ive been thinking of a way to do something like this with the antenna. Can you provide a step by step tutorial on how to do this? What plugs into what? Where things go? Parts needed? etc. I might be doing this soon. Thanks!

Just look at the picture below again carefully and read his directions...

Originally Posted by bmxpert57
All plug and play,

I used a metra universal amplified glass mount antenna with a nissan antenna adapter.

Mounted the antenna inside 3rd brake light(barley noticeable)

then the wire running through the hatch boot, into the cabin, and down inside the compartment behind the driver.

There you will find a OEM antenna connection,

just unplug it and plug in the nissan antenna adapter,

wire up the power antenna lead and violla.

here it is;

From the picture you can see that the Nissan antenna adapter is the Grey plug with a black and blue wire coming out of it....

blue wire - is the power antenna lead - see how its crimped with a pink crimp connector to the black oem 350z antenna lead wire???

Black wire - is the tube connection female end that the oem antenna male end connects too... (shown not connected in the pic).

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 11-05-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM
bmxpert57

ok-
ya jason.. those are the 2 exact parts I used. the antenna adapter is a 44-ni22
here;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Metra-40-NI22-An...item4a9bb70453

If you reach up inside the cubby hole behind the driver there is the factory antenna connection. unplug it and plug in the new antenna adapter. My antenna adapter was a little too tall..but a few seconds at the grinder was a quick fix.

In the picture you see a black 2-wire running under the OEM wiring (coming from the bottom right)-this comes from the new amplified antenna. then it goes to the antenna adapter( blue for +12, and the other is the antenna conenction) then that plugs right into the OEM harness. done
I must warn the only tricky part is the hatch boot..it was a pita to get it through there. but from there, run down the b pillar and right to the picture you see above.

I choose the solobaric because the can handle a lot of power(i have a 1200mono amp) so 2 will be a perfect match for it. Nice and tight in a sealed enclosure.(im not looking to thump down the block) also, a 10" wouldnt fit..as you can see the pic the 8" is right on the edges as it is. the l7s take more power, plus cost $140 more for the pair...and I could really use the $ for my highs lol.

Got the rear cubby holes sound deadened +jute and man..what a big diff already. next is the floors and rear.

Last edited by bmxpert57; 11-05-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:19 PM
J. Dub

pics of finished result?