Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Backup camera installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 AM
THH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed one based on your review and I am pretty happy with it. It does have a wide field of vision that makes judging the distance of objects difficult. It's one of those things you just need to get used to. The biggest help it has been was for parallel parking. Definitely makes a big difference there.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Good point…I totally agree. The wide angle view definitely messes with depth perception. You are correct that it only requires a little practice. Using the camera for just a short time allows you to adjust to its view and depth.

I reduce the learning curve by practicing in my driveway and setting up a couple of cones to learn the depth whenever I use a new rearview camera. I put the cones in the most near place I want to back my car. That way I learn what I see in the screen when I back to a couple of inches from contact. It’s better to practice this on plastic cones than your garage door or a concrete wall.

My Jeep has those sonar-backup-buttons, which are also helpful when parallel parking, but they will sometimes not “see” a round and small concrete pillar in a parking ramp.

A rearview camera is better, but the best is a combination of the rearview camera and sonar.

--Spike
Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 AM
THH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my audiovox cameral lasted about 3 weeks. My head unit still recognizes its connected since I get a little reminder to watch for objects, but the camera crapped out. I'm really disappointed since it worked really well and was a nice addition. I don't know if anyone else has had issues, or if I happen to get a dud, but its something to take into consideration.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

That sucks. Mines still working fine.