Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

car was broken into, but alarm didn't sound. why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Z-Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happened to me as well....
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Z-Lover

factory system sux big time
Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 AM
KPierson
Banned

The factory alarm is what it is - a basic system that was designed to virtually never have a false alarm (which could bring on legal issues in many locations around the US). To eliminate false alarms they have eliminated shock and glass break sensors.

The only way to set off the alarm is to open the hood, a door, or the hatch.

You can add a single stage shock sensor on to the factory alarm (as well as any other sensor you want). This helps, but not a whole lot.

The problem with "smash and grabs" is that no alarm will protect you from them (unless you are 10' from the car). Chances are, if it was a Wal Mart parking lot, they watched you park, watched you walk in to the store, and possibly had someone follow you in to make sure you were a good distance away before they broke the window. They most likely had a vehicle right there with them and were looking for quick, easy things to take.

This is a very broad assumption and assumes the car was broken in to, not vandalized, but you get the point. The only way to prevent something like this is to leave absolutely nothing of value visible in the vehicle (GPS systems are notorious for this right now because they are so easy to grab and run off with).

Also, a visual deterrent would work better then adding a sensor - if they see you have an aftermarket blinking LED they "may" be inclined to find an easier target (especially if you have nothing of value in plain sight). If you have an aftermarket alarm and a laptop sitting on your front seat thats a different story (risk < reward).

I, personally, have never understood the 1 mile range systems that alert you of status. By the time I travel anything over .5 miles what am I going to do? haha
Old 12-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Uchiha_

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
LOL, to bad it's only for chevy
Old 12-23-2009, 12:13 PM
ms350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You paid $800 to have your window replaced?! Do you not have comprehensive insurance? I have a $100 deductible on comprehensive, so if my car is vandalized or stolen all I pay is $100 no matter how bad the damage. That being said, if you live in a high crime area it may be a good idea to get an aftermarket alarm, but even then it isn't fool-proof, this is where insurance comes in.