Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What kind of wire is this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
xthejokerx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of wire is this?

Hi guys, i need to identify what kind of wire this is because I need to buy extra to extend it... It's a 24 gauge but I'm just not sure what material it's made out of, although it's got a silver color to it. It's for a water temperature gauge. Thanks

Old 12-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The things circled are connectors.

As for the wire... Is it shielded wire or are the soldered ends fooling you? I have a feeling the actual wire inside is copper.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
xthejokerx

Originally Posted by Spork
The things circled are connectors.

As for the wire... Is it shielded wire or are the soldered ends fooling you? I have a feeling the actual wire inside is copper.
OMG Spork I did not think of that. I'll strip more insulant to see. I think it's soldered ends!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 AM
xthejokerx

So I sliced off some insulant. The wire is still silver, and it's multi strands.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Mikie13

Originally Posted by xthejokerx
So I sliced off some insulant. The wire is still silver, and it's multi strands.
Looks like a Prosport gauge to me. Just go to Radio Shack or any electrical parts/hardware store and buy a spool of thin gauge wire. Copper, Silver, Nickel, whatever will work fine. I had to do this for my Prosport Gauges I installed in my STI. They all worked fine (Volt, Boost, Oil Pressure).
Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
duro78

Home depot, lowes and radio shack. You didnt think of splicing some off lol
Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 PM
xthejokerx

Great, just done buying them from radio shack.
For those that used crimp caps, where'd you guys purchase them at? I've yet to find a store locally that has crimp caps and heat shrink tube for 24 awg wires...
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I may be missing something, but I don’t understand why you are so concerned matching the wires. As Spork states (Message #2 on your Thread), the pieces you circle in your first message are connectors.

If you want to extend an existing wire, just get a wire with the same gauge, solder the ends together, and protect the solder joint with shrink-wrap. Done!

If you need to have a joining point that you can easily disconnect; instead of soldering the wire ends together, use a connector (bullet or blade connector).
Great, just done buying them from radio shack.
For those that used crimp caps, where'd you guys purchase them at? I've yet to find a store locally that has crimp caps and heat shrink tube for 24 awg wires...
Nooo… Do not use crimp caps if you want a reliable connection to extend a wire, especially a wire with such a small gauge. In this case you solder the wire and protect the joint using a shrink-wrap sleeve.

Hope I did not misunderstand your question,

--Spike
Old 12-21-2009, 07:27 PM
xthejokerx

Originally Posted by Spike100

If you want to extend an existing wire, just get a wire with the same gauge, solder the ends together, and protect the solder joint with shrink-wrap. Done!
I would do that if I had more of the same wires, but I don't. I managed to get the wires from radio shack and soldered them together.

Originally Posted by Spike100

Nooo… Do not use crimp caps if you want a reliable connection to extend a wire, especially a wire with such a small gauge. In this case you solder the wire and protect the joint using a shrink-wrap sleeve.

Hope I did not misunderstand your question,

--Spike
Is there any alternative method other than soldering? I hate having to solder onto OEM car wires...
Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I would do that if I had more of the same wires, but I don't. I managed to get the wires from radio shack and soldered them together.

Is there any alternative method other than soldering? I hate having to solder onto OEM car wires...
Connecting 24 gauge wires is best accomplished by soldering and protecting the jount with shrink-wrap. Using a twist cap to connect small wires (or any size wire for that matter) is not reliable.

If you absolutely cannot solder, then "crimp and twist." That is certainly not an elegant solution, but In fact that is how many installers connect wires.

--Spike
Old 12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
xthejokerx

Thank you Spike, you've been very helpful with answering my problems - past and present
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Soldering and heat shrinking would be your best bet.

You can buy splicers at WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, or any other related hardware or automotive parts store. Note that these splicers can cut the OEM wire when they splice into it. I'd rather solder it for a secure connection and heat shrink it for protection.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:57 PM
xthejokerx

Spork can you tell me how to properly lay the wire for crimping onto the connectors I highlighted above? I know I have to slice off the insulant first. But I'm not sure what part of the connector to crimp. Also, the transparent rubber piece is a heat shrink too right? I just put it over the connector and blow dry it to shrink it.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:01 AM
StreetOC192

I've used these in the past and they work awesome! You use a heat gun or lighter and it melts solder into the connection as well as shrinks the self-adhesive heat shrink around the connection. It makes for a very quick and very secure connection.

http://cableorganizer.com/elelktralink-butt-splices/