Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Factory NAV system

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 07:56 AM
vybz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory NAV system

I have a '03 Touring w/o the NAV system, anyone know if the NAV can be ordered and installed through the dealership after the fact? I wanted to get it for the engine diagnostic software it comes with, I heard you could see how much oil you have left, etc. If not what are you guys using for a monitor in the NAV/Storage box? I'd like to install a PS 2 at the very least. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Wedge

Default Engine Diagnostic Software?

There is not really any type of diagnostic software in the factory nav system. It only gives you the ability to set it up to tell you when you are due for an oil change based on mileage driven. Nothing fancy at all.

I don't think you can get it after the fact. You should consider getting an aftermarket system that has the capability of dvd and nav all in one.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:35 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Ya gotta get it when you buy the car

Nope, you cannot get the Factory Navigation System installed after you buy the car. It must be installed at the factory before you buy. I don't really know why since it can't be too difficult to connect a few things together, but whatever. If you have not yet bought your Z do not, I repeat DO NOT get the factory Nav system!! It is the biggest waste of money in the Z. No, I take that back. The BOSE system is the biggest waste of money (but there is no other choice on the touring model). If you can, get a Z without the Nav and Radio and install all your own stuff! :-)

-Chrismcagle
Old 10-27-2003, 12:19 PM
suehproM

Default Re: Ya gotta get it when you buy the car

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
If you have not yet bought your Z do not, I repeat DO NOT get the factory Nav system!! It is the biggest waste of money in the Z.
-Chrismcagle
Could you please explain these comments a bit further? What specific reasons do you have for saying this?
Old 10-27-2003, 12:41 PM
iu350Zatx

i agree 100% with Chrismcagle!!!

the factory nav ($2000) is a waste of money. it will not play dvds, ps2, etc. unless you get a inZ-pc or nav-tv hookup (around $500 - plus voids factory nav warranty), go aftermarket the whole way to save $$$ and to increase quality!!!

trust us, learn from our mistakes (please), i wish someone would of told me this b4 i got the factory nav (wow i sound like my dad, - i must be getting old)
Old 10-27-2003, 01:36 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: Ya gotta get it when you buy the car

Originally posted by suehproM
Could you please explain these comments a bit further? What specific reasons do you have for saying this?
Ok, here are some specific reasons for you...

Do a search for "BOSE" on this or any 350Z forum and you will find a multitude of unhappy customers (to put it mildly). Yes, there are a few people interspersed that don't have any problem with theirs, but for the rest of us, the BOSE system is a nightmare. I will site a few personal examples of why I say this:

1.) The audio will sporadically go from loud to quiet and vice versa either while driving and sometimes while sitting still at a red light. This is obviously very bothersome.

2.) Overall sound quality is poor. I have had many other cheaper (and more upgradeable) systems that sounded 100% better for a fraction of the cost of the "premium" BOSE system.

3.) My BOSE system occasionally will have NO sound when I turn the car on. The only way to get sound back is to turn the car completely off, then start it back up. Sometimes this must be repeated a couple times. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it SUCKS!

4.) Finally, both Nissan and BOSE are aware of these problems, but (to my knowledge) have not done anything about it.

Ok, now for the Navigation System...

I am a bit irritated about this personally because when I bought my Z the salesman told me that the stock Nissan Navigation system played normal DVD movies in addition to the regular Navigation functions. This is most assuredly not the case. Let me state that from a functionality standpoint there in no "problem" with the Navigation system (like there is with the BOSE system), but for $2000.00, it is extremely lacking in what it can do. You can get an aftermarket navigation system that has MANY more functions and in my opinion, looks a lot better for much less than the $2000.00 price tag of the Stock unit.

I am only stating these comments to help future Z owners make a more educated decision when purchasing their car. The ultimate decision is solely up to them. If I had known the things I know now about the BOSE and Nav systems when I bought my Z, neither would be in my car today.

-Chrismcagle
Old 10-27-2003, 02:14 PM
Wedge

Actually, Nissan and Bose have addressed the issues with the '03 Bose system. Not a lot of complaints about the '04 Bose system.......but some.

Here is a very long thread that will explain just how to get a new amp for your Bose system (not the original replacement amp, an entirely new one that was just released on 10/1/03) There are two TSB's for the replacement. One for cars produced prior to 9/28/02 and another for cars produced after that date.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=44708

As far as the factory nav playing dvd movies goes.........they could not do this because it is illegal to have video entertainment media mounted where the driver can see it while the vehicle is moving. And who wants to park and watch movies or TV? Of course we as owners can ignore that law and take our chances by getting a system that we can have in front of us while driving.

Now back to the Nav..........the advantage would be to have a dvd movie running (while on a trip) and still get the voice prompts from the nav system. If we were able to take out the nav dvd rom and insert a movie as was suggested in another post, ..........we would lose the nav capability when we most need it.

The answer is to get a unit such as the one sold by AVElectronics and a small dvd player, which allows nav to run in the background while we watch a movie........(well, while the driver listens to the movie and the passenger watches it). This unit uses the factory nav screen and you can switch between dvd player, nav system and television via a remote control.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:06 PM
qirex

w the g35, having its popup nav, id say gett the stock nav for that car.

our zs have a perfect spot for a screen...so yes stay away from the factory nav.

I have an alpine and love it!
Far superior in terms of the nav itself (faster, better etc).

Then there's the myriad of additional display inputs (3) THAT YOU CAN ADD.

feel free to ask any questions as we have an fx35 w/ the stock nav as well.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:03 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Interesting.
I'm about to buy a roadster and was going to insist on the dealer getting me a car with the Nav system.
Can somebody point me to pictures of alternate nav/dvd systems installed? It's a 3400 option here in Canada. If you guys are saying it's better NOT to get the NAV then I'm happy to see the alternatives.. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:42 PM
qirex

for example...the alpine nv82a + tme650 monitor accepts a nav signal (rgb input) + 3 composite inputs. One can be auto switched and is mirrored for use w/ back-up cams.
The other two can take any composite inpute you desire...ps2/xbox, dvd etc.

I like the alpine better b/c of its ease of use. The factory system is really clunky in comparison, doesnt have a "todays plan" option (really cool - enter up to 10 locations and it'll route th best way to hit all the stops).

Granted the factory system will remind you when you need service and has the cool , but worthless birdeye view.

Other advantages...the voice on the alpine will actually SAY most street names, while the stock does NOT!

Also, another annoyance re: the stock system is the voice muting - cool i concept - lame in use. My alpin ehas an external amplified speaker (tucked under the dash) that has volume control and allows me to hear the nav even with the bose bumpin'

The finishing shot? You can program the alpine on the fly...while moving - the stock system must be stopped.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/qirex/350z/view images here

Last edited by qirex; 10-27-2003 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:44 AM
ChrisMCagle

Talking

Originally posted by qirex
Other advantages...the voice on the alpine will actually SAY most street names, while the stock does NOT!
Preach on, brother!!

-Chrismcagle
Old 10-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Paul_BB_Guy

Very Cool!
What did this thing cost you and what was the install like? Did you do it yourself or did you pay someone to do it.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:54 AM
suehproM

Default Re: Re: Re: Ya gotta get it when you buy the car

Ok, here are some specific reasons for you...

Do a search for "BOSE" on this or any 350Z forum and you will find a multitude of unhappy customers (to put it mildly). Yes, there are a few people interspersed that don't have any problem with theirs, but for the rest of us, the BOSE system is a nightmare. I will site a few personal examples of why I say this:

1.) The audio will sporadically go from loud to quiet and vice versa either while driving and sometimes while sitting still at a red light. This is obviously very bothersome.

2.) Overall sound quality is poor. I have had many other cheaper (and more upgradeable) systems that sounded 100% better for a fraction of the cost of the "premium" BOSE system.

3.) My BOSE system occasionally will have NO sound when I turn the car on. The only way to get sound back is to turn the car completely off, then start it back up. Sometimes this must be repeated a couple times. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it SUCKS!

4.) Finally, both Nissan and BOSE are aware of these problems, but (to my knowledge) have not done anything about it.

Ok, now for the Navigation System...

I am a bit irritated about this personally because when I bought my Z the salesman told me that the stock Nissan Navigation system played normal DVD movies in addition to the regular Navigation functions. This is most assuredly not the case. Let me state that from a functionality standpoint there in no "problem" with the Navigation system (like there is with the BOSE system), but for $2000.00, it is extremely lacking in what it can do. You can get an aftermarket navigation system that has MANY more functions and in my opinion, looks a lot better for much less than the $2000.00 price tag of the Stock unit.

I am only stating these comments to help future Z owners make a more educated decision when purchasing their car. The ultimate decision is solely up to them. If I had known the things I know now about the BOSE and Nav systems when I bought my Z, neither would be in my car today.

-Chrismcagle
I was really only asking about Navi. I already know about Bose, but thanks for the info.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Beaker02

Default Re: Ya gotta get it when you buy the car

If you have not yet bought your Z do not, I repeat DO NOT get the factory Nav system!! It is the biggest waste of money in the Z. No, I take that back. The BOSE system is the biggest waste of money (but there is no other choice on the touring model). If you can, get a Z without the Nav and Radio and install all your own stuff! :-)

-Chrismcagle
I LOVE my factory NAV. I live by my factory Nav. I do agree with you on the Blose. Replace it ASAP!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:53 AM
ckny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i question if you guys who despise the factory nav actually have it. i have it in mine and i have PLENTY of experience with aftermarket units. here's my opinion...

the facory nav is a wonderful peice for the $2000 price tag. for starters, it's integration with the car is seamless. it's supposed to be there and it looks like it. i don't have to fuss with remotes, i have all the buttons laid out in front of me.

second - any aftermarket system will not be factory warrantied and also will add $0 value to the vehicle.

third - who said birdseye view was worthless? i think it's one of the coolest nav gui's and i have yet to meet someone who disagreed after seeing it in use a bit.

last - aftermarket systems are not "significantly" cheaper. the alpine nav is around $1300-1500 itself, add a good screen and you are right around the price of the nav and over if you count installation. for that i'll take the factory unit.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:27 PM
suehproM

Is the main complaint that it can't display PS2 or play DVD movies? If so, that wouldn't be Nissan's fault. That's a safety issue that Nissan cannot override.

What are the complaints about the operation of the Nav system itself?
Old 10-28-2003, 02:39 PM
murrman100

The factory nav works fantastic. I just wish that it had a touch screen instead of that stupid little joystick.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:08 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Stock Nav

Originally posted by suehproM
Is the main complaint that it can't display PS2 or play DVD movies? If so, that wouldn't be Nissan's fault. That's a safety issue that Nissan cannot override.

What are the complaints about the operation of the Nav system itself?
Well, as I mentioned in my previous post, there is nothing "functionally" wrong with the Stock Nissan Nav System, it just lacks some functionality that most aftermarket systems have. Examples would be:

Touchscreen
Voice Navigation
Multimedia (i.e. movie playback)

From the standpoint of telling you where you are and how to get where you want to go... it works fine.

I am just personally not happy with it because of what the salesman had told me to get me to buy it. I would have gone aftermarket had I know then what I know now.

-Chrismcagle
Old 10-28-2003, 06:00 PM
suehproM

Default Re: Stock Nav

because of what the salesman had told me to get me to buy it.

-Chrismcagle [/B]
OK, I get it now. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:40 PM
qirex

I'm not dissing the stock NAV - it works fine.

Its just that compared to my alpine..its well...lacking.

As I

said before, our FX35/tech has the stock nissan nav.

The biggest annoyance I had was the lack of a todays plan.

My wife and I were out looking at homes to buy here in san diego. A nice sunday morning, we head out in the fx. I have a list of houses to check out and figure - I'll program 10 into the nav and it'll lead us on our house hunt...

no dice.
We had to go home and get the Z. It kinda sucks b/c my wife is in real estate. Oh well.

Additinal annoyances - my bioggest beef with the stock nav is the ease of use - or lack thereof. AFter you call up a destination - the alpine gives you the option to map it, add to plan, add as a waypoint or start routing - from the same screen. The nissan ? no idea how to quickly do the same thing.

The voice function is practically useless on the nissan nav - as it doesnt announce street names. The alpine nav is so good with its voice annotation that you can have the screen OFF! or have yourdvd playing or you can be programming more locations.

Additionally, the alpine is MUCH faster in creating a route as well as re-routing. Another thing that annoys me w/ the nissan nav is that its often unclear where you have to go. COmbine that with the fact that its usually 50-200 ft off - translates into many missed turns.

Another area where the alpine blows the nissan away is the alpines PIP display.

The nissan will either show you a large scale map (birdseye or 2d) OR the smaller (yet not more detailed) map. The alpine? It shows you both at the same time.
It also has clear, intuitive displays for
-distance to next turning point
-distance to destination
-time to destination

Again, not that the nissan nav is bad, no just not as good.

I paid $2K for my system installed. Thats b/c I ordered the car with the stock nav, but the car I bought didnt have it. They insisted they could install the factory nav (of course they couldnt) so I made them put the alpine in.

because of the cubby hole, fit and finish were perfect. If you havent ordered your car yet - see if you can get them to install a system for you.
Otherwise, I'm sure you could get the system, screen and install for $2k if not less - shop around!

However IMO dont get the stock nav.

Yes, my nav adds no value to the cost of teh car. In fact, Nav systems are rarely residualized. When my lease is up, the nav stays with me!

Quick Reply: Factory NAV system