Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need serious help before I get riped off again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No problem, my pleasure, please report back to us to let us know how it all worked out. Again, best of luck.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by blasian
Captain Planet on dat ***
I'm going into the shop to finish up Adam's 4.3 rear install, text me later.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:37 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
I'm going into the shop to finish up Adam's 4.3 rear install, text me later.
Will do. Good luck with that
Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 AM
MDHRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350junkie
Google is power my son
fixed
Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 AM
350junkie

^^ thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 AM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
No problem, my pleasure, please report back to us to let us know how it all worked out. Again, best of luck.
Thanks I will see to do that, and I will see how much they want for this little battery as there was no quote given. If it is less then 100 bucks and stash it with out it interfering with my everyday life I might just go for it. The reason being is I sit a lot in my car waiting for my gf to get out of work, so it might be good idea not to get stranded. Thank you again for all the input, and I will continue reading all that stuff until I grasp the concept.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I agree with Kwame@z1Auto (he’s correct about 99.99% of the time, no make that 100% of the time) about adding a second battery. That probably isn’t the best solution considering there are better choices.
Originally Posted by GodSendsDeath
Thanks I will see to do that, and I will see how much they want for this little battery as there was no quote given. If it is less then 100 bucks and stash it with out it interfering with my everyday life I might just go for it. The reason being is I sit a lot in my car waiting for my gf to get out of work, so it might be good idea not to get stranded. Thank you again for all the input, and I will continue reading all that stuff until I grasp the concept.
I understand your reasoning, but any dual battery installation done to prevent a power-drain should also include a power-management-controller. One reason for two batteries is preventing a drain on the primary battery so that you can always start the car (and that power might come from either battery). A power-management-system does that.

Off-road drivers often have dual battery systems to support things such as air-compressors to re-inflate tires after “airing down,” invertors powered by a battery to operate shower/water heaters, cooking stoves, etc. I have this system on my 4WD vehicle to prevent a battery-drain when I’m 10 miles from the road. You want something similar to listen to your CES with the ignition OFF, and that’s the same point.

A good power-management-system has these features:
  • Support for providing power from both batteries simultaneously
  • The ability to toggle (manual switch) between the primary battery and the secondary battery
  • Auto-switching between the two batteries with a fail-safe feature to prevent draining either battery

Remember that good batteries “go bad,” and that is why you need a power-management-controller with a dual battery setup.

My point: If you install a second battery to run your car’s CES, make sure that you can isolate this power source. The best way to do this is mounting a power-management-system in the car. These are often large, so it might be difficult to find a spot for the device.

--Spike
Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by Spike100
I agree with Kwame@z1Auto (he’s correct about 99.99% of the time, no make that 100% of the time) about adding a second battery. That probably isn’t the best solution considering there are better choices.

I understand your reasoning, but any dual battery installation done to prevent a power-drain should also include a power-management-controller. One reason for two batteries is preventing a drain on the primary battery so that you can always start the car (and that power might come from either battery). A power-management-system does that.

Off-road drivers often have dual battery systems to support things such as air-compressors to re-inflate tires after “airing down,” invertors powered by a battery to operate shower/water heaters, cooking stoves, etc. I have this system on my 4WD vehicle to prevent a battery-drain when I’m 10 miles from the road. You want something similar to listen to your CES with the ignition OFF, and that’s the same point.

A good power-management-system has these features:
  • Support for providing power from both batteries simultaneously
  • The ability to toggle (manual switch) between the primary battery and the secondary battery
  • Auto-switching between the two batteries with a fail-safe feature to prevent draining either battery

Remember that good batteries “go bad,” and that is why you need a power-management-controller with a dual battery setup.

My point: If you install a second battery to run your car’s CES, make sure that you can isolate this power source. The best way to do this is mounting a power-management-system in the car. These are often large, so it might be difficult to find a spot for the device.

--Spike
Thanks, that was very informative and I think I do recall them telling me that they will add a power management isolator or something along those line. Something about if the two battery's are connected the stronger one would just suck the juice out of the smaller one, and with that device it will prevent that from happening. (When the car is turned off) <<<< I think during that period of time. Thanks guys as always I can count on this forum to provide some good feedback, and that is unless I want to make 900whp with a turbo kit from ebay with $7K.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:19 PM
duro78

Wheres my thank you i believe I said the exact same thing in 2 paragraphs but I dont have a high post count so guess i dont

Last edited by duro78; 04-09-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 PM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by duro78
Wheres my thank you i believe I said the exact same thing in 2 paragraphs but I dont have a high post count so guess i dont

Ahh sir thank you very much, but now seriously I am thinking of getting that turbo kit of ebay any one interested in a group buy haha.

Yeah guys thank you very much sir.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 AM
KPierson
Banned

In order to do a second battery correctly the cost will be WELL over $100. The price of the battery itself is only the beginning. As mentioned above you'll need either an isolator (for engine off listening) or a bigger alternator (for OEM battery reinforcement while running). Running a 2nd battery on a stock alternator and with no isolator isn't going to benefit you and will most likely only cause long term problems.

After you buy the second battery you then have to buy the power wire from the front to the 2nd battery, plus fuse holders and fuses - there should be a fuse and holder on BOTH ends of the wire to protect each power source from shorts. You'll also need a ground wire for the 2nd battery with connectors on both ends. Lastly, you'll need to pay to have all of this stuff installed. As you can see, the actual price of the battery is only a portion of the overall cost.

Safety is another thing that has to be considered. If the shop cuts corners and doesn't properly fuse the 2nd battery your car will become a rolling fire hazard. Also, to install a battery inside the car it either needs to be a sealed battery or in a compartment vented to the outside of the car. Lastly, the battery should be properly secured (more labor $$$) to prevent it from shifting around while driving.

Adding a second battery isn't something to jump in to without fully understanding the process!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I would provide some additional information so that people reading this thread are not confused, or worse yet, do something that can potentially damage the wiring system in their car.

There are two ways to wire dual (or more) batteries together: Parallel or Series.

1) Parallel battery wiring is connecting two or more batteries by wiring both (or all if more than two batteries) positive terminals together and, all negative terminals together. If both/all batteries are 12v (and you should not mix batteries with different voltages), the result is a 12v current. You do not get an increase in voltage, but you do get an increase in electrical storage (i.e., two 12v batteries wired in parallel have twice the storage of the single battery).

2) Series wiring is connecting two or more batteries by connecting the positive terminals to the negative terminals or both or all batteries. The result is an increase in voltage that is the multiple of all the batteries you connect (i.e., connecting two 12v batteries with series wiring doubles the voltage to 24 volts). Series wiring is beyond this discussion, but… Never use a series wiring in your Nissan car. Using series wiring in your Nissan car will damage the electrical system and all of its components. An example is the Good Samaritan who offers help (a jump-start) when you have a dead battery, and then incorrectly connects positive to negative poles on the battery. Doing that might damage the electrical system in both cars. I repeat… Do not use series wiring in your Nissan.

Since batteries are heavy, some car companies (Porsche as an example) use dual batteries with parallel battery wiring to provide better weight distribution. Instead of one big and heavy battery on one side of the car, there are two smaller and more lightweight batteries on both sides of the car.

Here’s the deal: If you want more battery capacity, you can simply connect two batteries with parallel wiring. That’s a simple setup as far as the wiring is concerned, but becomes more complicated when deciding where and how to mount the additional battery, and if your cart’s alternator can handle this, and if you want to avoid draining both batteries if you just have ACC turned ON to run your A/V equipment while the alternator is not charging your batteries.

The best way to install dual batteries is incorporating a power management system into the setup. This way you never worry about draining both batteries and you can always start your car. Another benefit is not stressing your alternator that must now charge dual batteries.

4WD/Off-Road enthusiasts are expert in connecting dual/multiple battery systems since they typically use inverters, electric winches, and other devices that draw a lot of power from 12v vehicle- batteries. They use power management systems to prevent electrical damage draining the batteries.

Performance Parts Automotive and Warn make dual battery control systems that include the wiring harness and most of what you need to install a dual battery management system. Check their websites for more information if you want to install a dual/multiple battery system.

I've use dual battery systems in my off-road vehicles for years, but I don't see much advantage for this extra expense and hassle in my Z.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 04-11-2010 at 05:49 PM.