Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need serious help before I get riped off again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
GodSendsDeath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need serious help before I get riped off again!!!

Well my sound system is getting installed, and this audio shop is recommending I add a 2nd battery. This is the stuff that is going in.

Avic D3 head unit
2X RockFord Fosgate 10" P3 subs
1X RockFord Fosgate P400-4 Amp
1X RockFord FOsgate P1000-1db (I do not own, but buying from shop at $389.95)
All speakers replaced.

The guys at the audio shop who are doing the install are recommending me I get this 2nd small battery that will be hidden behind the driver seat hatch. Now I am having a shop do the install, as the initial install was epic fail from some guy who knows audio stuff. This douche bag was a friend of a family friend who totally butchered my Z. I do not know this stuff so I must pay to get it done, but I feel like these guys are selling me into something I do not need. I will be taking my car this Tuesday, so any info would be great.

Also, the amps will be wired at one ohm for the full out put of the amp. I am sort of on a budget so this is all I can get, and please no get something else as this is all already bought because of the last schmuck that talked me into this audio crap. So My350z forum peeps please help a brother out, or if some one is really daring in Tampa bay area willing to help he or she will be rewarded $$$.

Thank you,
Edvin.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think one should only invest in a second battery if they intend on playing their automobile's sound system for prolonged periods of time with the engine turned off.

I personally do not think your setup as described warrants the installation of second battery under normal use. If anything I would suggest you do "The Big 3" upgrade and be done with it. Best of luck.

Last edited by Kwame; 04-08-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
I think one should only invest in a second battery if they intend on playing their automobile's sound system for prolonged periods of time with the engine turned off.

I personally do not think your setup as described warrants the installation of second battery under normal use. If anything I would suggest you do "The Big 3" upgrade and be done with it. Best of luck.

Thank you for responding, but being the noob I am what is "The Big 3" upgrade. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Kwame

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre.../312025/page/1
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID~73496~PN~1

Search Google if you need more info.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 PM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Thank you very much I will get to reading on this stuff. Again thank you good sir.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:15 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kwame has the knowledge, son!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 PM
350junkie

Originally Posted by sdZ33
+1,000,000,000 chits
Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 AM
GodSendsDeath

ok.... I am not sure if this is to put me down or something, but I think I thanked the man for his help. I dunno these boards now of days are filled with all sort of comments that fly over my head I can't keep up with these young hip kids.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 AM
JE'S350z

He wasn't trying to put you down he was just verifying that the info that kwame gave you was good advise. To bad your not closer to Jacksonville, I would be glad to help you out.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 AM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by JE'S350z
He wasn't trying to put you down he was just verifying that the info that kwame gave you was good advise. To bad your not closer to Jacksonville, I would be glad to help you out.

Also, it don't help that I am foreign so I miss understand a lot of things. Oh man I wish there were some one close by who could help me out, as I need my car ready for my new job asap.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:21 AM
duro78

Your setup in know way needs a second battery the only thing i would suggest is upgrading your primary to one more suited for car audio (optima yt,deka etc). Also do the big 3 I can almost promise you they wont know what it is.Once all this is done you will have no dimming. I advise you to learn about car audio and start doing your own installs, audio shops charge top dollar and for most offer shotty work. I see your using all rf stuff are you buying off there shelfs cus p3's suck, please dont buy there amp the markup is too high. For the $ you could of gotten better equipment and please dont put a cap in the car either. For that shop to even suggest certain things I would walk a way

Last edited by duro78; 04-09-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:25 AM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by duro78
Your setup in know way needs a second battery the only thing i would suggest is upgrading your primary to one more suited for car audio (optima yt,deka etc). Also do the big 3 I can almost promise you they wont know what it is.Once all this is done you will have no dimming. I advise you to learn about car audio and start doing your own installs, audio shops charge top dollar and for most offer shotty work. I see your using all rf stuff are you buying off there shelfs cus p3's suck, please dont buy there amp the markup is too high. For the $ you could of gotten better equipment and please dont put a cap in the car either
Well I searched the web, and lowest price on that amp is 389.95 that I have found, but as of right now I am pressed with time. As for my battery I just yesterday bought a red top optima battery (not sure what that means), but the guys at AutoZone said if this won't do the job nothing battery wise will. I am thinking of talking to some other shops and see what they are thing. These guys are charging me 100 dollars for the labor, and as for the subs I bought the already and paid through my nose. This was a very harsh learning experience for me, but it is what it is I guess. Thank you for reading and trying to help a noob such as I.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Murda350

Take my advice and just get one now while its not inconvenient. I got my sound system and figured that I wouldn't need a battery, boy was I wrong. I'm running 3 10 inch JL's and a 750 Watt HD amp and it sucks the life out of my batteries. My battery died about 6 months after getting it installed. I could tell it was sucking the life out of my new battery cause whenever I would idle the dash lights would flicker when my bass hit, so I had to go back to the audio installer and buy another additional battery, which they had to install..... you might as just get it done all at one time and save yourself the hassle
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 AM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by Murda350
Take my advice and just get one now while its not inconvenient. I got my sound system and figured that I wouldn't need a battery, boy was I wrong. I'm running 3 10 inch JL's and a 750 Watt HD amp and it sucks the life out of my batteries. My battery died about 6 months after getting it installed. I could tell it was sucking the life out of my new battery cause whenever I would idle the dash lights would flicker when my bass hit, so I had to go back to the audio installer and buy another additional battery, which they had to install..... you might as just get it done all at one time and save yourself the hassle

Thanks for the input sounds very interesting, and I am thinking if there i no one local that could take a look this is the route I might go.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:25 AM
duro78

You do not need a second Batt, dont suggest things without knowing.Do you understand how car eletrical works those installers raped you. Your car is running off of you alt at idle not your batt it has nothing to do with it. I''l bet anything your electrical is all stock and your prob not running a good enough upfront battery. 2 batteries puts an enormous strain on your alt which is only 110 amps.Why run 2 when you can run good 1.There is absolutley no reason why ^ needs a second batt he bandaided a bigger problem by doing so

Last edited by duro78; 04-09-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 AM
duro78

^Dont listen to him, your electical problem was do to your oem setup not the equipment. The oem z electrical system isnt effecient when it comes to running aux power thats why one should upgrade it (big3) The way his system is setup its not done effeciently. OMG please dont listen to the autozone dude either Op optima Red top batt is not made for car audio check there site if you dont believe me. Dont listen to installers when it comes to some things there job is to sell whats on there shelves and labor rate also thats exactly what they did to the guy who suggested running another batt. OP you should stop listening to people that obviously dont know what there talking about as you can see its a waste of money
Kwame is the only person that gave you sound advice. Im running 3x the power Murda is and did the big 3 upgraded my wiring and primary Batt and i have no dimming.My volts never run below 12 at full tilt even when its not under load. No offense Op but you have two knowledgable people telling you what to do and your choosing to listen to the guy who took his car to an installer who essentially is in the same boat as you as far as experience level. Its your decision and $ coin so goodluck

Last edited by duro78; 04-09-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by GodSendsDeath
Thank you very much I will get to reading on this stuff. Again thank you good sir.
No problem.

Originally Posted by 350junkie
+1,000,000,000 chits
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by GodSendsDeath
Well I searched the web, and lowest price on that amp is 389.95 that I have found, but as of right now I am pressed with time. As for my battery I just yesterday bought a red top optima battery (not sure what that means), but the guys at AutoZone said if this won't do the job nothing battery wise will. I am thinking of talking to some other shops and see what they are thing. These guys are charging me 100 dollars for the labor, and as for the subs I bought the already and paid through my nose. This was a very harsh learning experience for me, but it is what it is I guess. Thank you for reading and trying to help a noob such as I.
The thing that you have to realize and take advantage of is that the overall theory of electrical current and how it is delivered and supplied hasn't changed all that much over the years. Yes, new products have come to market to make all of our decisions easier but there is a plethora of information available on the net from people who have either tried a setup similar to yours or who are just far more knowledgeable in this subject matter then you and I. The responsibility is on you do as much research as possible (and I commend you for asking the opinion of others here prior to giving your installers the go ahead) to arm yourself with the knowledge of what sounds right and what doesn't.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with having a shop install your sound system for you. That is exactly what I did do to a lack of time. The important thing to remember is that you should research how to perform your installation just as much as you research what products you intend on purchasing. It's just as one of my college mathematics professors taught me... "Calculators are great tools which help to cut down on the time it takes to complete a problem, but if you have no idea how the mathematical operation you are punching into the calculator can be preformed without it then how to you do know the answer it is outputting on the screen is right or wrong?"

Sorry for the rant.

As someone else mentioned I also believe you didn't need a second battery. You either need a new/better main battery and/or a wiring upgrade ("The Big 3").

I personally think a second battery is the absolute last option as the lack of space in this car and extra weight is such a hindrance to me. I'd get a high-output alternator before looking into a second battery but only after doing the big three and not having my current issues resolved.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:11 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Captain Planet on dat ***
Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 AM
GodSendsDeath

Kwame@z1Auto thank you for putting you input on this, and I will talk to my installer about the big three first. I have spent all night reading, so when I go there I will know what to ask about. Again thank you very much.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM
350junkie

knowledge is power my son

Quick Reply: Need serious help before I get riped off again!!!