Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Upgrading stereo- Car PC, In-Dash Double Din, or iPad

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 AM
skeetworthy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading stereo- Car PC, In-Dash Double Din, or iPad

I started out just wanting a music server but now that I have searched around and found articles about people putting in Car PC's and iPad's I think I might want to do something a little more extreme than an upgraded stereo. I'm not even sure if the iPad would fit so I'm not sure if thats even an option and I would probably have to do some custom work to get it to fit. I have an '07 with Navi and Bose stereo. What do you think? I am open to suggestions. thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:04 AM
StreetOC192

If you are a 'tinkerer', a car PC is a great project. But be prepared to mess with it constantly as it will be a high maintenance project. It's a labor of love though.

A drop-in double DIN unit is a great option if you can find a unit with all the features you want/need.

Regarding an iPad, i think you will be hard pressed to get it to fit anywhere in the center stack. Plus, for the price it is somewhat limited as far as features and storage capacity.

For less money than an iPad, you can get an Archos7. Much more capacity and plays more formats. It is more likely to be able to fit into the center stack (i.e. cubby) with some customization, and you can find them for under $400. This would make for a very interesting project.
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=us&lang=en

Last edited by StreetOC192; 05-06-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
J. Dub

Good luck getting that Ipad to play through your speakers and sub.

I'd go w/ a carPC if you don't mind the maintenance.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by J. Dub
Good luck getting that Ipad to play through your speakers and sub.
pretty sure theres someone out there that already makes an output converter into what would resemble the signal outputs of a normal radio

pioneer F series OP
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
skeetworthy

I have thought about getting an archos7 because I have an android phone. I have searched around and found people sucessfully putting iPad's in cars but you are right, it would probably not fit. A pc wouldn't be too hard because I am a computer science major. The custom work to get it to fit would probably give me a little trouble though. Thanks for all the help so far and here's a link to someone that got an ipad playing through the speakers. It's not in a Z though.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
skeetworthy

here's that link.

http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You have an ’07 with the Bose system and factory navigation… Certainly tearing this out for a CarPC will cost a lot of $$ and lower your car’s value, and that’s something to consider.

You cannot do a built-in iPad unless you do a complete dash reconfiguration with a lot of custom fabrication.

The best way to use an iPad is holding it (while you are not driving of course). That is the intended use of this device.

--Spike
Old 05-08-2010, 03:45 PM
skeetworthy

Originally Posted by Spike100
You have an ’07 with the Bose system and factory navigation… Certainly tearing this out for a CarPC will cost a lot of $$ and lower your car’s value, and that’s something to consider.

You cannot do a built-in iPad unless you do a complete dash reconfiguration with a lot of custom fabrication.

The best way to use an iPad is holding it (while you are not driving of course). That is the intended use of this device.

--Spike
I never thought about the CarPC lowering the value, thanks. Putting the iPad in the dash would be nearly impossible. It would almost fit in landscape. i have searched around and found an article about Scosche coming out with the iKit so you can replace a stereo with an iPad. There is a video on Youtube of it installed in an sti. If you think about it an iPad would make a great stereo. You have radio, pandora, and all of you music on one device. When the iPad was released I thought it would be a waste of money but I never thought of it as a radio replacement. If you get a touchscreen Double DIN it is going to cost you quite a bit and you dont get all of the features that an iPad has. Granted you can't play cd's but depending on how much music you have and what size storage you get on the iPad you might not need too.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Spike100

^^ With all due respect, I cannot imagine a worse setup than an iPad for a “central” component in a Car Entertainment System. That’s especially true for the Z.

The iPad is just too large to fit the Z’s dash.
  • The large amount of screen real estate will be too bright (even at its lowest setting) in the Z’s small interior and proximity to the driver for nighttime operation. Inverting the screen (going to a dark background) will mitigate (but not eliminate) the problem.

• The iPad is not designed for operation in the hostile environment of a car’s interior, where temperatures can go from -30 F in cold climates to over 140 F in desert areas. In fact this is one reason people installing CarPC’s hit the wall when they are not in a temperate climate and do not provide for this problem.

You mention the higher cost of a double-din unit for a car.
Originally Posted by skeetworthy
[…]If you get a touchscreen Double DIN it is going to cost you quite a bit and you dont get all of the features that an iPad has. […]
The reason you pay more for a car H/U is the durability provided by the manufacturer. A car H/U is subject to extreme temperature swings, condensation, dust and dirt, and the bumps and jostling that happens with just normal driving. An iPad is not designed to handle those adversities.

Granted you can't play cd's but depending on how much music you have and what size storage you get on the iPad you might not need too.
The new digital H/U’s from Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, and others provide this feature as well.

If you buy an iPad, carry it with you, protect it, and never subject it to long periods of abuse such as building it into a car’s interior (where it won’t last very long). Notice Apple's warranty exclusions for the iPad.

--Spike
Old 05-09-2010, 08:13 PM
skeetworthy

^^ With all due respect, I cannot imagine a worse setup than an iPad for a “central” component in a Car Entertainment System. That’s especially true for the Z.

The iPad is just too large to fit the Z’s dash.
  • The large amount of screen real estate will be too bright (even at its lowest setting) in the Z’s small interior and proximity to the driver for nighttime operation. Inverting the screen (going to a dark background) will mitigate (but not eliminate) the problem.

• The iPad is not designed for operation in the hostile environment of a car’s interior, where temperatures can go from -30 F in cold climates to over 140 F in desert areas. In fact this is one reason people installing CarPC’s hit the wall when they are not in a temperate climate and do not provide for this problem.

You mention the higher cost of a double-din unit for a car.

The reason you pay more for a car H/U is the durability provided by the manufacturer. A car H/U is subject to extreme temperature swings, condensation, dust and dirt, and the bumps and jostling that happens with just normal driving. An iPad is not designed to handle those adversities.

The new digital H/U’s from Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, and others provide this feature as well.

If you buy an iPad, carry it with you, protect it, and never subject it to long periods of abuse such as building it into a car’s interior (where it won’t last very long). Notice Apple's warranty exclusions for the iPad.

--Spike
Alright man I said so myself that it would probably not fit. I actualy cut a piece of paper to the exact demensions of the iPad and put it in the car. It almost fit in landscape mode. This is just something I dreamed up while searching the net at work one day. I don't think the lighting would be a problem personally. The only problem I see is the size. The iKit from Scosche acts like an iPod dock but it takes the place of your stereo and you can pop it in and out and secure it in place. Obviously I don't know if the thing will ever even be released so it might just be wishful thinking. I know I am not going to tear apart my dash to try and put it in there. Do you have any good recomendatios on a good H/U?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
xzotklr

^^Kenwood Excelon....they have Nav/Bluetooth etc and have great sound!! Wicked CAS has them for about $1600.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree will not work in a Z, but it is a great idea. You guys should look at this vid and see it in action.
http://caraudiomag.com/video/new-fis...ition-complete
Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM
skeetworthy

Originally Posted by xzotklr
^^Kenwood Excelon....they have Nav/Bluetooth etc and have great sound!! Wicked CAS has them for about $1600.
I'm sure it is awesome but I dont really want to spend that much on the H/U alone. This is something that I am going to be researching for the next few months before I pull the trigger on it. I would rather not have something with NAV because I already have the NAV in the car. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 AM
skeetworthy

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Agree will not work in a Z, but it is a great idea. You guys should look at this vid and see it in action.
That guy did a great job integrating everything.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Nice… Interesting… A SUV certainly provides the spacious interior needed for a project like this.

Actually, the Z with all of its cubby slots and compartments is a great vehicle to incorporate elaborate installations (CarPC, modular and “traditional” CES components, etc.).

--Spike
Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Spike100

Alright man I said so myself that it would probably not fit. I actualy cut a piece of paper to the exact demensions of the iPad and put it in the car. It almost fit in landscape mode. This is just something I dreamed up while searching the net at work one day. I don't think the lighting would be a problem personally. The only problem I see is the size. The iKit from Scosche acts like an iPod dock but it takes the place of your stereo and you can pop it in and out and secure it in place. Obviously I don't know if the thing will ever even be released so it might just be wishful thinking. I know I am not going to tear apart my dash to try and put it in there. Do you have any good recomendatios on a good H/U?
Apologizes… didn’t mean to ignore your comments or sound like a “know it all.” We all agree with your good point that an iPad would be an interesting addition to the car’s CES. But… How to do that in the Z?

If you consider Apple’s history when introducing new products, I’ll bet we can expect at least a couple of new iPad devices in the near future (see the numerous iPod releases). For sure one of the new products will be a slightly smaller iPad that cost$ less but is more powerful. Who knows?… Possibly a future variation of the iPad will fit the Z.

Certainly swapping-out your factory navigation isn’t a good economic decision, but adding to this with an iPad supported system makes sense. You have two slots and two large compartments behind the driver/passenger seat where you can add some components to support computer functions and the iPad in its present configuration. Your Bose components occupy some of these compartments, but there is still plenty of room to add some stuff.

You definitely have me thinking about some interesting options. Thanks for posting.

--Spike
Old 05-10-2010, 06:14 PM
skeetworthy

Apologizes… didn’t mean to ignore your comments or sound like a “know it all.” We all agree with your good point that an iPad would be an interesting addition to the car’s CES. But… How to do that in the Z?

If you consider Apple’s history when introducing new products, I’ll bet we can expect at least a couple of new iPad devices in the near future (see the numerous iPod releases). For sure one of the new products will be a slightly smaller iPad that cost$ less but is more powerful. Who knows?… Possibly a future variation of the iPad will fit the Z.

Certainly swapping-out your factory navigation isn’t a good economic decision, but adding to this with an iPad supported system makes sense. You have two slots and two large compartments behind the driver/passenger seat where you can add some components to support computer functions and the iPad in its present configuration. Your Bose components occupy some of these compartments, but there is still plenty of room to add some stuff.

You definitely have me thinking about some interesting options. Thanks for posting.

--Spike
The Archos7 that someone mentioned before would be a nice fit but I read something today that it would more than likely have a resistive screen and have Android 1.6. That would kind of be a deal breaker depending on the cost.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 PM
skeetworthy

--Spike
Dont worry about it man. The Archos7 that someone mentioned before would be a nice fit but I read something today that it would more than likely have a resistive screen and have Android 1.6. That would kind of be a deal breaker depending on the cost.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
o2sys

Scosche makes car mounts for ipads already...
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 PM
skeetworthy

Originally Posted by o2sys
Scosche makes car mounts for ipads already...
They aren't for sale yet or officialy announced. I saw a video on Youtube of a rep from Scosche showing off the iKit in an sti. It could never even be released though. Nothing is ever for sure untill it's on the shelf at Wal Mart lol.

Quick Reply: Upgrading stereo- Car PC, In-Dash Double Din, or iPad