Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Blown Sub???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
DBTre50z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Sub???

So my friend has a shallow 12 inch pioneer sub installed in his ram pickup truck underneath the seat. He had it installed back a couple of months and everything sounded fine. Just today I was over his house and he was listening to it at moderate levels and we began to smell something burning, or a similar smell. While we were searching for the smell he realized it was coming from underneath the seat and my first thought was its the sub. He pulled the sub out of the box to find a very lousy install by soundtrax out on L.I. It seems like a very half assed box. Anyhow because the box was so small they had to add that cotton filler stuff to "trick" the sub into thinking the box is bigger. With the sub out, we put the stereo on (which is an aftermarket pioneer radio) and there is a distinctive burning smell coming from the bottom of the sub. The sub however sounds fine, there are no irregular sounds or clipping noises of any sort. Being a shallow mount it doesnt move too much anyway however it flexes the same amount it always has. Again there is no distortion what so ever. The smell is as of now the only thing that tipped us off to check the sub out. The smell was very sudden as it went from being ok to again a burning smell. He is going to call up pioneer tomorrow to see what they say but i figured i would ask the electronic guru's over here in the mean time. Any diagnosis pointers are helpful. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Armin'sZ

Sounds like the voice coils are burning.

My brother has brunt many subs, and its because the volume is to high. Or You have your eq on +1-10 bass. This causes the voice coil to burn which eventually the sub will go out.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM
DBTre50z

He bought the entire setup from sonicelectronix and they are a authorized dealer of pioneer. Would they replace the sub as is now being that the sub isn't blown? I believe he called up pioneer today. I'll have to ask him what they said.