Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

alpine spr comp VS mb quart pvi216 comp

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:09 PM
ELI350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does any one know if i'm gonna have issues with the front speakers mounting depth(2.5)
? orr spacer is needed?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by revvenue
Use the sail if you don't want to do any fabrication and drill out a hole to flush mount them per the manual for the speakers.
Originally Posted by ELI350Z
yeah i think ill do that,its the easiest solution,do i compromise on sound quality by puting them there?
after some reading,i saw a few ppl saying the mb quart tweeters are too bright,what about puting the tweeter flush on the kick panels?
The Sail Panel mount for a tweeter isn’t the best position. It’s difficult to stage high frequency sound using the Sail Panel.

If you go with kicks, mounting the tweeter in the kick provides very good sound since it has more distance from the listener, provides very directional sound, and is easily staged.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 06-21-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
ELI350Z

thnx spike,i managed to squeeze the big tweeter with some cutting of the plastic inside the stock tweeter place.
ill update on the speakers as far as spacer..
Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Spike100

does any one know if i'm gonna have issues with the front speakers mounting depth(2.5)
? orr spacer is needed?
A speaker with a 2.5” depth-to-wall specification is about the maximum you can fit into the Z’s door mount using the stock grille. At that depth (2.5”), successful fitment depends upon the speaker’s configuration (magnet size, mounting rim, etc.)

The only way to know for sure is someone who has mounted that specific speaker reporting that it fits.

If it’s close, but does not quite fit; all is not lost. You will only need to do some minor custom fabrication to cut out the poor stock door grille and fit your speaker’s grille in that position.

--Spike
Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
w210e55

Default how did the install go?

How did the speaker install go? I have the same set sitting in a box with the add on 6.5 woofers that I am going to install in the back deck behind the seats.

thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
revvenue

Originally Posted by Spike100
The Sail Panel mount for a tweeter isn’t the best position. It’s difficult to stage high frequency sound using the Sail Panel.
Definitely not the best option for sound quality, everyone would absolutely agree with you there, including myself!

Only reason I gave this recommendation with the pre-requisite of no or little fabrication to the interior. With just drilling a hole the size needed to flush mount a tweeter being the most fabrication you want to go, molding a kick panel, etc. isn't going to work out.

If you can fabricate kick panels OP, please PLEASE please obviously install your components there!! You will notice a difference... but it's always something you can upgrade to later to add more quality without buying more stereo equipment...

As far as mounting the woofer in the door you may want to put the panel on before you decide to cut anything on the stock grill because usually your woofer sits lower than the pre-fab hole and can be a PITA to modify unless you have the ability which obviously then won't be a problem.

Anyway... carry on... Listen to Spike he's a very smart guy, I can tell. Knows what he's talking about.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:43 PM
ELI350Z

thnx guys,ill def update on how it goes.
hopfully fri-sat ill have it all ready..
thought ill put just a bit to upgrade,but i'm a grand down already,lol
Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 PM
revvenue

Yep. It starts low and by the end of the install you realize you are spending more than you ever expected :P Oh well, enjoy it while you can. Install everything to the best of your abilities and you'll be proud of it when it's all said and done!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 AM
xchriz012x

which set did you go with??
i just installed pvi216 last night...had some issues...
and still do...i'm hearing lots of static through speakers...tweeters arnt' as bad as people have mentioned here...
one major problem i'm having is the volume control...it is way too loud.
before the install...i had the volume setting to 8. now i can't have it past 3 and it is like 10 previous volume. i know i read it in some other thread about setting the amp...any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM
xchriz012x

Originally Posted by xchriz012x
which set did you go with??
i just installed pvi216 last night...had some issues...
and still do...i'm hearing lots of static through speakers...tweeters arnt' as bad as people have mentioned here...
one major problem i'm having is the volume control...it is way too loud.
before the install...i had the volume setting to 8. now i can't have it past 3 and it is like 10 previous volume. i know i read it in some other thread about setting the amp...any thoughts?
nvm...problem fixed!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 PM
w210e55

Default did you need spacers?

xchriz012x,

did you need spacers for the door?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 PM
ELI350Z

yeah, did u use door spacers?
i have the pvi216,i'll update fri-sat when i'll install,hope i wont have those problems.
btw what was the solution for your problem ?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 AM
xchriz012x

u do need spacers...i called my local audio store and they wanted $20 for two pairs. didn't feel like driving out and paying them 20 so didn't use the spacers...took few screws and just screwed it in to oem brackets.

i have pvi216's hooked up to jl 300/4 channel amp and the sound was really loud. played around with the amp and the sound is fixed.
i think i might need woofers after all though.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 PM
ELI350Z

Originally Posted by xchriz012x
u do need spacers...i called my local audio store and they wanted $20 for two pairs. didn't feel like driving out and paying them 20 so didn't use the spacers...took few screws and just screwed it in to oem brackets.

i have pvi216's hooked up to jl 300/4 channel amp and the sound was really loud. played around with the amp and the sound is fixed.
i think i might need woofers after all though.
where did u put the big a$$ tweeters?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 PM
xchriz012x

where did u put the big a$$ tweeters?
outer part of stock tweeters.
they are huge!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Spike100

^^ Huge are they?

You say they are huge, so my question: What are the exact measurements?

--Spike
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
ELI350Z

updates on my install..
i put the big tweeters in the stock location with some cutting inside of the plastic.
the speakers managed to squeeze in w/o any spacer.
the comp by itself sounded bad,but after hooking the sub,its like everything added up.
I'm happy!thnx for the help guys
Old 06-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Spike100

^^ Thanks for posting the update. Some questions for you that will help me learn…

[…] i put the big tweeters in the stock location with some cutting inside of the plastic. […]
1) Did “the big tweeters” fit flush in the Sail Panel?
2) How did you finish the cut edges (if in fact that was necessary)?

If you have time, a picture of the Sail Panel with your tweeter mount would be great.

Here is my concern with your last comment: Certainly adding a SubW will improve sound, especially with modern recordings that “expect” and support low frequency output. However, your midrange inside the front door should be able to stand by itself and produce quality sound if it’s installed and setup correctly.

--Spike
Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 PM
ELI350Z

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Thanks for posting the update. Some questions for you that will help me learn…

1) Did “the big tweeters” fit flush in the Sail Panel?
2) How did you finish the cut edges (if in fact that was necessary)?

If you have time, a picture of the Sail Panel with your tweeter mount would be great.

Did you use the stock door speaker grille?

Why did the midrange component sound bad? Was it vibration, “blocked sound,” or what?

Here is my concern with your last comment: Certainly adding a SubW will improve sound, especially with modern recordings that “expect” and support low frequency output. However, your midrange inside the front door should be able to stand by itself and produce quality sound if it’s installed and setup correctly.

--Spike
as far as the tweeters-the tweeter housing is tight if u look at it,its not 100% as the small stock ones will fit,i just cut the inside of it to make it sit,almost flush, but not 100%.wish i had the pics,but i dont want to mess with it again.

the speakers fit with the stock grille,i had a local place do it for me,he said that he didn't even use a spacer.it looks totally stock.
and the sound quality maybe it was the tuning of the hu,but it felt very screamy sounding,like the tweeter took over the sound,when added the sub woofer it like complete the whole sound,with some sound adjusting.
I'm impressed with the sound quality as far as the MB quart,def not a waist of money..
i got the top of the company's comp for $145(ebay)maybe i should have buy the hertz($170)but still,I'm happy with it.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Spike100

Thanks for the update.

I suspect that the initial problem you noticed before installing the SubW (“but it felt very screamy sounding,like the tweeter took over the sound”) was caused by:

The Sail Panel tweeter-mount
A quality tweeter in the Sail Panel provides very harsh sound since this mount is very close to the driver and passenger. It’s very difficult if not impossible to balance high frequency sound from a good tweeter mounted in the Sail Panel. I tried mounting the tweeter here, and after a short test, I moved the tweeter to the A-Pillar.

The Stock Door Mount for a Midrange Speaker
Better quality midrange components have trouble in this position. It’s not the mount that is the problem, but rather the stock door speaker grille. The stock door grille blocks sound from the midrange since the top holes are decorative and not functional, and the remaining grille-openings are too small. The result is muffled sound and door panel vibration, even when installing sound-deadening). You cannot easily install the aftermarket speaker grille here since the surface is concave. That is why Z owners go with door pods when mounting better front midrange components in the door.

With this said
Apparently you are happy with the sound now, so all is well. Certainly adding the SubW is wise, and you report the sound is satisfactory after doing this. I suspect (I’m guessing here since there is no way I could know for sure) is you have balanced the system so that even moderately low frequency goes to the SubW. That prevents door panel vibration from your front door-mounted midrange.

I would like to see a pic of your tweeter mount.

--Spike

Quick Reply: alpine spr comp VS mb quart pvi216 comp