Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

alpine spr comp VS mb quart pvi216 comp

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 AM
ELI350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alpine spr comp VS mb quart pvi216 comp

hi guys,b4 u send me to search,i already did but could not decide.
i'm in beween those 2 components,any one can help me out or have any experiance with those two?
and whats the range of power in need to have from an amp to hold those up?
2channels or 4channels?
all gonna be on stock non bose hu.
sorry im a noob when it comes to audio.
thnx alot eli.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:51 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts
Default speakers

I gota be honest my man.. Ive had all of the above.. and while they are pretty decent, they dont hold a CANDLE to higher end speakers.

I promise proimise promise you if you take my advice you will be muuuuch happier..seriously. Or I wouldnt have posted.

Ebay yourself a set of new Boston Pro 60 SE components.. they are unreal. Got mine for 389 bucks w a 2 yr warranty.

Truly. I have been an audiophile for 20 years and ran several shops that pushed Alpine, MB Quart, etc.. these bostons are amazing, are super powerful and not harsh at all. I run 150 w RMS to them.. and the sound is amazing. SPR components have a pretty lame tweter and x over. MB Quart is a better set.. but expensive Im sure.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM
ELI350Z

thnx for the answer,ill check those boston acoustics..
but anyways bbetween the two above the mb quart are better?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I gotta agree with bmccann101
Boston Acoustics = WIN
I'm not a audio head but also had some mediocre subs (in an older ride = Integra (dont flame) and went with BA after hearing a buddy's truck.
Was night and day with the BA Subs with all else staying the same: Mids/Tweeters/AMP and Headunit.
Well worth the $
Old 06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

yeah, the Mb Quart is usually a higher end speaker. Germans do it well. Its a pretty average tweeter set up on the alpine. Alps are great, fantastic for the money... a set of R type comps shouldnt cost you more than 100 bucks or so.. .espec if you ebay it again. And they will last quite some time. But I have a set of r type coaxs for my rear fill and there is ZERO comparison. I runn alpine imprint sound processign tho, and it really cuts out teh rears...good for soundstage. Either way, not a waste of cash either way, both good speakers.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The obvious question is this: How did you arrive at these two choices (alpine spr comp VS mb quart pvi216 comp)?

That information helps us provide better advice for your final selection (i.e., between your final two candidates).

--Spike
Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 PM
ELI350Z

found both to be around $150,and when i checked the pvi216,the mb quart website shows that those are the premium components,my buddy had good experiance with the brand.
as far as the alpine just from search,i came to see that ppl are pleased with them.
i dont want to put too much money cause im not sure how long ill keepthe Z(i have it 2years)
thn again guys
Old 06-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Spike100

OK… You are almost there (selecting the front component speaker you like best that also matches your budget). You are down to two speakers.

To choose, you need to listen to both of these. I can tell you I prefer the sound of one over the other, but that’s my preference. You might prefer something different.

This is simple. You need to listen to both models, and then decide which is best for you.

--Spike
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 AM
jamesdean

Wish I could give better advice but I looked at both when I was shopping for new speakers and didnt like either. Went with Hertz HSK165.4. Btw I didnt notice much of a difference between either of the ones your thining about .
Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM
ELI350Z

any good words about the jl audio comp?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:14 AM
ELI350Z

Originally Posted by jamesdean
Wish I could give better advice but I looked at both when I was shopping for new speakers and didnt like either. Went with Hertz HSK165.4. Btw I didnt notice much of a difference between either of the ones your thining about .
just googled it,its in my budget,now bwtween those 3 comp,any one of those will need crazy fabrication on the door speakers?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Spike100

OK… now you’re down to (up to) three different speakers.
  • Alpine SPR-17S component
  • MB Quart PVI216 component
  • Hertz HSK165.4
After listening to these, which sounds best to you?

Originally Posted by ELI350Z
just googled it,its in my budget,now bwtween those 3 comp,any one of those will need crazy fabrication on the door speakers?
I assume that you are going to mount the speaker in the stock door position and retain the stock door grille. That’s the easiest and least costly way to mount your front speakers. You will probably need spacers, but that’s inexpensive and easy to do (you can buy spacers, make your own, or even cannibalize the OEM speakers).

Your aftermarket speakers come with their own grille, but adapting this to the Z’s door is difficult since the aftermarket grille mounts flush to a flat surface and the Z’s door is concave at the grille position. That is one reason (among others which include better sound) people use door-pods.

Here are the measurements:

Alpine SPR-17S: Depth-to-wall measurement is 2.3”. It fits! No problems here.

MB Quart PVI216 17: Depth-to-wall measurement is 2.5”. It will probably fit, but it’s going to be tight.

Hertz HSK165.4: Depth-to-wall measurement is 2.7”. That one is just too close to call. It may not fit using the stock door mount and grille.

Certainly if you like the sound from the Alpine SPR-17S, that’s your obvious choice if easy fitment is a consideration.

Hope this information is helpful.

--Spike
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM
ELI350Z

Originally Posted by Spike100
  • Hertz HSK165.4

I assume that you are going to mount the speaker in the stock door position and retain the stock door grille. That’s the easiest and least costly way to mount your front speakers. You will probably need spacers, but that’s inexpensive and easy to do (you can buy spacers, make your own, or even cannibalize the OEM speakers).

Your aftermarket speakers come with their own grille, but adapting this to the Z’s door is difficult since the aftermarket grille mounts flush to a flat surface and the Z’s door is concave at the grille position. That is one reason (among others which include better sound) people use door-pods.

MB Quart PVI216 17: Depth-to-wall measurement is 2.5”. It will probably fit, but it’s going to be tight.

Hertz HSK165.4: Depth-to-wall measurement is 2.7”. That one is just too close to call. It may not fit using the stock door mount and grille.

Certainly if you like the sound from the Alpine SPR-17S, that’s your obvious choice if easy fitment is a consideration.

--Spike
THNX ALOT!!
great answer spike.i've heard the alpine(I'm not sure how well they hooked them up)
they sounded bad!when i cranked the volume it was horrible,lol.
the infinity kappa sound really clear and with full volume never distorted.
i just bought the mb quarts,hope i like them,and went with MTX 1200w amp.
hope it all comes up good,i might add a sub if the bass is 2 low..
Old 06-12-2010, 02:10 PM
jamesdean

• Hertz HSK165.4

--Spike
I jsut put in the Hertz last night along with a JL XD 600/6 amp and Zenenlsure strut box with JL 10w3 sub...freakin phenomal sounding but more to the mounting of the Hertz...we used the OEM speaker housing gutted it out and then used a 1/4" spacer which got it to clear the glass but the door panel rubed the cone so had to reposition the speakers up about a inch and still couldnt get the stock grills to fit so gutting them and shaving a corner down then going to wrap them in cloth which still looks stock but will vastly improve the sound...

Btw its not even a close call sound wise between these speakers...I couldnt find anything under a grand that sounded as good as the Hertz.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by jamesdean
I jsut put in the Hertz last night along with a JL XD 600/6 amp and Zenenlsure strut box with JL 10w3 sub...freakin phenomal sounding but more to the mounting of the Hertz...we used the OEM speaker housing gutted it out and then used a 1/4" spacer which got it to clear the glass but the door panel rubed the cone so had to reposition the speakers up about a inch and still couldnt get the stock grills to fit so gutting them and shaving a corner down then going to wrap them in cloth which still looks stock but will vastly improve the sound...

Btw its not even a close call sound wise between these speakers...I couldnt find anything under a grand that sounded as good as the Hertz.
Good one. Thanks for posting the information. I didn’t think that the Hertz HSK165.4’s (speaker depth = 2.7”) would fit the stock door position without some custom fabrication. It appears you have them mounted there without doing an excessive amount of “reconstructive surgery.”

You are correct. The stock grille is awful. You probably noticed that some of the holes are not holes but just decorative. Devising a better grille as you are doing will certainly improve the sound.

If you have time, please post some pics of the install. That would be helpful to others trying to deal with the relatively shallow door mount. Your report of better sound makes the additional effort worth doing.

--Spike
Old 06-12-2010, 07:13 PM
jamesdean

Good one. Thanks for posting the information. I didn’t think that the Hertz HSK165.4’s (speaker depth = 2.7”) would fit the stock door position without some custom fabrication. It appears you have them mounted there without doing an excessive amount of “reconstructive surgery.”

You are correct. The stock grille is awful. You probably noticed that some of the holes are not holes but just decorative. Devising a better grille as you are doing will certainly improve the sound.

If you have time, please post some pics of the install. That would be helpful to others trying to deal with the relatively shallow door mount. Your report of better sound makes the additional effort worth doing.

--Spike
I posted a few pics in the system build section...didnt go crazy with the pics cause I was tired as hell and it was getting late.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 AM
ELI350Z

wasup guys,i'm having trouble with the huge tweeters on the mb quart pvi216.
i'm in indianapolis,and no one here really capable of custom fit them for me(the only store that does,want a fortune)
any ideas?can i cut the stock tweeter housing to fit it?any one had try doing it?
i'm stuck wit my nasty stock sound system!
oh and just bought the pioneer avh p3100dvd,keeping the stock hu was a mistake when upgrading the whole system!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:22 AM
revvenue

Originally Posted by ELI350Z
wasup guys,i'm having trouble with the huge tweeters on the mb quart pvi216.
i'm in indianapolis,and no one here really capable of custom fit them for me(the only store that does,want a fortune)
any ideas?can i cut the stock tweeter housing to fit it?any one had try doing it?
i'm stuck wit my nasty stock sound system!
oh and just bought the pioneer avh p3100dvd,keeping the stock hu was a mistake when upgrading the whole system!
Use the sail if you don't want to do any fabrication and drill out a hole to flush mount them per the manual for the speakers.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:09 PM
ELI350Z

yeah i think ill do that,its the easiest solution,do i compromise on sound quality by puting them there?
Old 06-20-2010, 12:36 PM
ELI350Z

after some reading,i saw a few ppl saying the mb quart tweeters are too bright,what about puting the tweeter flush on the kick panels?

Last edited by ELI350Z; 06-20-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: alpine spr comp VS mb quart pvi216 comp