Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Just finished a set of A-Pillar Tweeters

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
revvenue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished a set of A-Pillar Tweeters

I'm a newb... but my fiance is out of town for the weekend and after having listened to my tweets on the pillar via velco sticky sticky... I couldn't get the thought out of my head to do the install, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity for no interruptions

The tweeters are .75 inches (from my Rockford Fosgate T1652-S Component set) I had originally decided to surface-mount them with the supplied tweeter baskets, but since having them in the car's stock location I could only locate the baskets for my Infinity Kappa set.

To make a long story short I ended up snapping the tweeter surface mount trim from over-tightening from the strange convex of the location. At that point (after calling a few shops and them not having any extra baskets...) I decided to do a DIY and get them installed this weekend.

Yes I'm a noob, and yes this is my first ever install so don't be too harsh on me!

I tried a few different specific spots for the tweeter before I found one that sounded good to me as well as would allow room for the install. With tuning, etc. aside here is what I did:

Got a port tube from a ported subwoofer enclosure to use for my trim.
Got a PVC connector from Home Depot that has 4 rings attached I could use for screw holes to make my tweeter baffle.
Bought a faux-suede curtain from Wal Mart (the Eclipse brand that is double-sided to block out 99% sunlight from your windows) to wrap my pillars with (no fabric stores here and this shouldn't fade in the sun)

Anyway the 1 hour project combined with my OCD turned into a 24 hour-straight project (not joking). I hate it when every single audio project I undertake ends up taking me days to complete, but I like tot try to do my best (even though I'm still learning...) If anyone has other tips, etc. Please share -- I'm interested.

The suede was fairly easy to wrap (could've done a little cleaner job around the pod), but I am satisfied for my first job overall. I would recommend anyone thinking about wrapping their pillars in suede to check out the Eclipse curtains... the backing is just separated enough to make it easy to glue, etc. and I think it looks great compared to most other faux-suede I've seen.

I got 2 ported bass tubes from an enclosure and used them for my trim. I then purchased a few PVC parts from Home Depot to fit my tweeter for the baffles. These ends have 4 circles around them which work nice for screw holes (mostly decorational) I drimelled all the branding down and created 4 holes for screws. I then wet sanded and painted these before adding a UV-protectant matte clear coat. (I tried silver paint today and it sucks... Going to respray them tomorrow)

Anyway for the pillars I just drimmeled a spot for the bass port tubs, fitted everything, then instead of pulling out fiberglass, just quickly drimmeled a piece out of PVC for the pod surrounding the PVC baffle I'd already made(if that makes sense...)

Once that was fabricated I cemented it in place, created a mold out of hot glue (worked surprisingly well I might add added some compund cement and fabric (ghetto fiberglass) and sanded it down. I primed it with filler prime so the light bondo would stick without using fiberglass, and applied the light bondo as smoothly as possible to avoid more sanding later.

I sanded that down and re-worked it 1-2 times until I had a good pod structure. I then primed that and cut the suede for the wrap.

I laid out the rubber cement on the pillars and wrapped them and the pod, then installed my tweeter assembly.

My PVC baffles and bass port tubes.

Before sanding & paint:

Finished product (I sprayed the baffles with a silver color hoping it would flow with the interior, but that obviously failed. I'll be re-spraying tomorrow!

Anyway, I thought this was probably a unique way to install pillar pods.. They sound great to me!

Other items I used if anyone is interested:
Drimmel
Bondo (light for patchwork)
Putty Knife
Hot glue
Misc PVC rings
Razor
Detail Sander
200/400/800 Sandpaper
Cement compund
Plastic Spray Paint, UV Protected Clear Coat & Spray Filler Primer
Noise Deadening rubber spray

Last edited by revvenue; 09-11-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Good work and well-planned project... I'll bet it sounds good too.

--Spike
Old 10-17-2010, 06:55 AM
ordinaryme

Great unique job!!

how did you remove pillars? Was it easy?? I've been trying to find diys with no luck
Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 AM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice
Old 10-17-2010, 11:27 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice
Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 PM
revvenue

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Also, to answer the question about removing the A-Pillars it's very simple.

They remove just like any of the other trim in interior of the vehicle. Push your fingers under the edges and give it a nice (solid, don't "yank" it) pull with some pressure and they will snap loose from one center connector. Then pull up they're off.

A fare warning, before you do any tweeter installs make sure they will fit back in, because it's a tight squeeze the way you have to position and twist the pillars to fit back in.