Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Navigation - best thing since nav itself

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010 | 03:04 PM
Cannysage

Default Navigation - best thing since nav itself

On my Lexus, there's an online software called edestination. you can do a search as you would on your nav, but the process is 100x faster. This is very convenient when you want to add a huge quanity of destination data. It sends the data directly from the computer to my car. Is there anything similar that can work with your regular aftermarket pioneer, kenwood etc?
Old 09-22-2010 | 04:33 PM
Spike100

^^ This is just a variation of OnStar (but Lexus's version).

Some readers may not be familiar with this GPS feature on Lexus cars, so here’s an explanation.

The feature is named Lexus Enform Edestination. To use this, you log into the Lexus Drivers web site using your PC, enter your destination or search for destinations and POI’s, and save the selection.

Once you have saved your destinations/POI’s, you go to your car, turn on the ignition, wait for the GPS screen and then click on the "Dest" button on the right side of the navigation screen. You then do a series of clicks on the screen: go to "Points of Interest" from the first screen, select “Download” on this screen, and “Yes” on the confirmations screen.

Whew!... Finally, your destination/POI shows up in the eDestinations (under Points of Interest) section.

This system works very well if either (1) You park your Lexus in your living room near your computer, or (2) you sit in your Lexus holding your laptop.

If that seems overly complicated (and it is), you can always just use the Destination Assist feature, which calls someone and they send the destination to your car (same as GM did years ago with OnStar).

And of course, it is not free. You get it no cost for a few months when buying a new Lexus, and then “after setting the hook,” you pay big.

--Spike
Old 09-22-2010 | 05:38 PM
Cannysage

It's not complicated at all. you input a bunch of destination points on your computer and you sync it to your car. you don't have to have your car next to your computer. It's much better than punching in text with your index finger.
Old 09-22-2010 | 05:40 PM
zer0cool

Old 09-22-2010 | 06:11 PM
Spike100

You waste time sitting at a computer inputting a bunch of POI’s that you may not ever go to. It’s more efficient to build your address/location/POI database on “as-you-go” basis. Better GPS devices store these for you automatically as “recently found locations” when you arrive at a designated location. You waste time and $$ (paid to Lexus) for a feature you may use more when the car is new, and less and less with time (once you load your private database, you don’t use the feature as much).

The “Lexus’s OnStar clone feature” is useful. A cell phone call gets you back on track if you are lost or just do not want to input an address. Finding the location stores it in your database.

And… just messing with you on the requirement for proximity to the computer , but all those screen-clicks are required (so there is still significant wear-and tear on that index finger).

--Spike
Old 09-22-2010 | 08:40 PM
revvenue

It might be useful if you were a delivery driver or something, but I prefer to just use my cell phone and say, "Navigate to: Starbucks." Or, "Navigate to: Barber Shop."

I would like to have voice input on my headunit that worked similarly, that would be sweet.
Old 09-22-2010 | 09:03 PM
Cannysage

Originally Posted by Spike100
You waste time sitting at a computer inputting a bunch of POI’s that you may not ever go to. It’s more efficient to build your address/location/POI database on “as-you-go” basis. Better GPS devices store these for you automatically as “recently found locations” when you arrive at a designated location. You waste time and $$ (paid to Lexus) for a feature you may use more when the car is new, and less and less with time (once you load your private database, you don’t use the feature as much).

The “Lexus’s OnStar clone feature” is useful. A cell phone call gets you back on track if you are lost or just do not want to input an address. Finding the location stores it in your database.

And… just messing with you on the requirement for proximity to the computer , but all those screen-clicks are required (so there is still significant wear-and tear on that index finger).

--Spike
I have a large number of POI that I want to transfer over, and manually inserting one by one is not something I want to do. edestination doesn't cost a penny either.

Originally Posted by revvenue
It might be useful if you were a delivery driver or something, but I prefer to just use my cell phone and say, "Navigate to: Starbucks." Or, "Navigate to: Barber Shop."

I would like to have voice input on my headunit that worked similarly, that would be sweet.
I have a voice command on my stock Nav unit and also on my Pioneer AVIC Z1 and it works nicely. but it doesn't help me with the fact that I need to have a butt load of POI load onto it.

* edestination allows me to upload massive amount of POI in a very short period of time. there's gotta be something similar out there for other units.
Old 09-22-2010 | 09:37 PM
revvenue

Originally Posted by Cannysage
I have a voice command on my stock Nav unit and also on my Pioneer AVIC Z1 and it works nicely. but it doesn't help me with the fact that I need to have a butt load of POI load onto it.
Ahh, nice. Sorry I couldn't help you with your problem but at least you've given me something to look in to.
Old 09-24-2010 | 01:48 PM
Spike100

[QUOTE=Cannysage;8675994]I have a large number of POI that I want to transfer over, and manually inserting one by one is not something I want to do. edestination doesn't cost a penny either.[QUOTE]
Of course I was being facetious when mentioning a necessity to park the car in your living room when down loading POI’s. The main instance I remember of a house with a "drive-in" living room was the TV show Vega$. Every episode shows Dan Tanna parking his 1950’s Thunderbird in his living room!

You are correct. Some owners will find the Lexus Enform Edestination useful. Examples are a sales person working out of his/her car and inputting calls in advance, and someone on vacation who want to plan and preload their itinerary in advance.

The Destination Assist (similar to OnStar) feature is also useful when you get lost and need help.

Enform Edestination and Destination Assist are free for a period after buying the car, and then you pay a subscription to continue using the feature.

--Spike