Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Question about 2003 cubby for screen

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM
03Brickyard350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 2003 cubby for screen

Ok, so I've read about a bunch of ppl on here ordering the 2003 cubby to put in a 7" screen. Now I have a 2003 Z, base, so it didn't have the nav unit. My question is would I need to still get the 2003 cubby from a Z that had navigation, or would mine work? Any input would help....

Thanks guys
Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 AM
rey rey_10

in for pics..
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You don’t need to buy a 2003 cubby since you already have this in your car.

Follow these steps to install your 7: monitor:
  1. Remove the center dash console.
  2. Remove the rear pocket of the cubby by simply loosening the screws that hold it in place.
  3. Save the screws since you can use these to hold your monitor in place.
  4. Push your monitor into the same position previously occupied by the rear cubby pocket.
  5. Tighten the screws lightly to hold the monitor in place.
  6. Replace the center dash console.
Done!

The following 7” monitors will fit perfectly:
  1. Farenheit T-7000MHR
  2. Power Acoustik PT-700MHR
  3. NESA Vision NSM-7005 7" Monitor
  4. Power Accoustik PT-718TS (touch screen support)
  5. Kenwood LZ-702W Touchscreen Monitor
All you need to hold them in place is the screws that held the rear pocket. You don’t need adhesive or extra straps.

Additional Notes:
  • The above monitors support NTSC/PAL and use composite video connectors (an RCA plug).
  • Monitors #’s 1, 2, and 3 are identical and only differ by brand name. They are the same monitor marketed by different companies.
  • All the monitors (1-5) work well with DVD players and most Navigation devices. However, these monitors use composite video, and they are not appropriate for use with a CarPC. If you are planning a CarPC, you need an RGB monitor.
  • You can operate all the above monitors with a handheld IR remote control. #1, 2, and 3 only operate with a handheld IR remote control, while monitors #’s 4 and 5 also support touch-screen function. Monitor #4’s touch-screen functions only are used to operate the monitor itself. The Kenwood LZ-702W (#5 in my list) uses touch-screen functions to operate the monitor’s functions, and also provides touch-screen function to operate the Kenwood KNA black box navigation device.
  • The remote IR “eye” on monitors 1, 2, 3, and 4 is in the front of the monitors frame, near the left top. The finishing bezel on the 2003’s cubby blocks this eye, so you will need to determine the eye’s position and drill a very small hole in the cubby’s finishing bezel that aligns with the monitor’s IR “eye.”
  • The Kenwood LZ-702W (#5 in my list) IR eye is low along the base, so access for this is simply removing the cubby’s lower finishing strip to use the handheld remote control to make you initial settings, and after that you don’t need routine use of the handheld remote since the screen can be run completely using touch-screen function.
  • All these monitors provide an “always on” feature. What that means is you can install a remote ON/OFF switch, and rarely need to use the handheld remote control.

Image Quality:
I’ve tested different Farenheit monitors (also marketed by Power Accoustik and NESA), and they are surprisingly good for such an inexpensive monitor. However, I do notice an image difference within these monitors, so quality control is suspect. The Kenwood LZ-702W monitor’s quality is consistent and always excellent.

Touch-screen monitors suffer slightly from the screen’s extra layer to provide this function. The difference is very slightly noticeable, and it’s image sharpness. When comparing touch-screen monitors, the Kenwood LZ-702W provides a better image than the Power Accoustik PT-718TS touch-screen monitor.

So… Which screen should you install?
If you main use is viewing DVDs, go with the Farenheit T-7000MHR (or the same monitor marketed as Power Acoustik PT-700MHR or NESA Vision NSM-7005 7" Monitor).

If you want to use the monitor as a standalone navigation product as well as viewing DVDs, go with the Kenwood LZ-702W and the Kenwood KNA black box navigation device. The Kenwood LZ-702W also provides great support for a rearview camera using its touch screen functions.

I didn’t mention Alpine in this posting since you are asking about 7” LCD monitors. Alpine makes a great 6.5” monitor that provides touch-screen function and supports standalone support for navigation and a rearview camera. Alpine touch-screen monitors are just great (wonderful touch-screen feel, lots of features, and a great image).

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike

Farenheit T-7000MHR (Power Acoustik PT-700MHR and NESA Vision NSM-7005 7" Monitor)

Kenwood LZ-702W Touch Screen Monitor

Kenwood KNA Black Box Navigation

Alpine TME-M770 6.5” LCD Monitor

Alpine NVE-M300 GPS Nav Drive

Last edited by Spike100; 12-23-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: To label Alpine images
Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 PM
03Brickyard350z

Spike, thank you so much, best info thread I have ever read on the topic. If there was a way to give props on this forum, you would definitely get some. You definitely made my choice an easy one. Now just need to decide which route to go with for the GPS.

Again, thx man!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike100

Thanks for kind words.

The selection of 7” standalone monitors teamed with a remote GPS box is actually shrinking these days.

Kenwood
Kenwood offered this with their KOS system (a Koss Controller and a standalone 7” LCD monitor, Kenwood KOS-L702), and also had the KNA-G510 Navigation Box combined with the Kenwood LZ-702W 7” touch-screen monitor. However these products are now being phased out. You can still buy the KOS Controller, but the standalone monitor is now a 4.3” LCD. The KNA-G510 Navigation Box is now replaced by the KNA-G610 Navigation Box, but the KNA-G610 only works with 2010 and newer Kenwood H/U’s. So, and as I see it if I have this right, the latest Kenwood products do not include a standalone 7” monitor with a navigation box solution suitable for the 350Z.

Garmin
The Garmin GVN53 (replacing the Garmin GVN52) is a standalone black box GPS that you can combine with just about any LCD monitor that supports NTSC/PAL video (using a composite video connector) or RGB (using a computer connector, VGA for example).

That makes the Garmin GVN53 a great solution for the 350Z when mounting a 7” LCD in the upper/forward cubby (above the double-din slot). However, the Garmin GVN53 does not provide touch-screen operation. You must use the handheld RF remote control. The Garmin handheld RF remote control has a thumb “joystick” that operates similar to a trackball. It works very well.

Garmin GVN53 Black Box Navigation Unit

Alpine
A great solution for a standalone LCD monitor combined with a remote GPS black box is the Alpine TME-M770 6.5” Touchscreen LCD Monitor combined with the Alpine NVE-M300 GPS Navigation Drive. The TME-M770 6.5” Touchscreen LCD Monitor fits the upper/forward cubby slot in the 350 Z, and it provides a razor sharp image and superior touch-screen function.

Alpine TME-M770 6.5” Touchscreen LCD Monitor

Alpine NVE-M300 GPS Navigation Drive

Comparisons: Kenwood, Garmin, and Alpine

The Kenwood selections for a remote standalone 7” monitor and navigation are mostly discontinued, although you can still find the products.

Garmin provides the most versatile solution since the GVN53 works with any LCD monitor. However, the GVN53 does not support touch-screen function. The GVN is the least costly solution.

Alpine provides touch-screen function and a razor sharp screen. Alpine’s LCD monitor is slightly smaller at 6.5”.

--Spike
Old 12-23-2010, 06:36 PM
rey rey_10

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but why not just get DD unit w/built in nav?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:20 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rey rey_10
rey!!! its dimitri!

i put a nav headunit in mine because i couldnt find a good dd nav for under $600. i got a $200 touchscreen navi setup from best buy and fit mine in an 08 cubby so i still had room for my afk and evc under my single din. also i didnt have a ton of boxes all over my dash and a blank empty cubby

heres a few pics for reference

Old 12-24-2010, 05:31 PM
rey rey_10

Originally Posted by bbs350z
rey!!! its dimitri!

i put a nav headunit in mine because i couldnt find a good dd nav for under $600. i got a $200 touchscreen navi setup from best buy and fit mine in an 08 cubby so i still had room for my afk and evc under my single din. also i didnt have a ton of boxes all over my dash and a blank empty cubby

heres a few pics for reference

Sup Dimitri?! Jeebers dude that looks the space shuttle cockpit! lol...Was the install difficult and does the lid close?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:11 PM
bbs350z

Install was very easy but the lid doesn't close. I had all my f/i electronics in there previously and permanently affixed to stay open so now I just filled that space with a screen lol
Old 12-24-2010, 07:19 PM
rey rey_10

It would nice to find a set up that allows the lid to close. Your Z is looking sick by the way! I hope to see it at FNL next year!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 AM
bbs350z

Thank you sir, yea I believe if I wouldve left the lid on the factory hinges it would close with this screen as I have a lot of room up front, I've seen a few with screens that can open and close
Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 AM
rey rey_10

Originally Posted by bbs350z
Thank you sir, yea I believe if I wouldve left the lid on the factory hinges it would close with this screen as I have a lot of room up front, I've seen a few with screens that can open and close
D, whats the
HP on your Z?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by rey rey_10
A double-din device with navigation is certainly a solution, and in fact probably more popular than the solution placing a remote 7” inch LCD screen in the upper/forward cubby.

Advantages of the double-din all-in-one device (DD H/U that includes GPS):
  • Availability: There are many all-in-one DD devices that provide GPS function.
  • Simple Installation: It’s very easy to install a DD device into the Z’s DD Slot.

Disadvantages of the double-din all-in-one device (DD H/U that includes GPS):
  • Cost: The better all-in-one devices are expen$ive.
  • Upgrades: The majority of all-in-one devices have no path to upgrade individual components.
  • Viewing angle: The Z’s DD position is too low for optimal-view of a GPS screen. The upper/forward cubby provides a much better and safer viewing angle.

Comments concerning a remote 7” LCD screen inside the upper/forward cubby: This is the ideal position/angle for viewing a GPS display. A separate GPS solution (screen + black-box GPS) also provides the best upgrade path for future devices with improved features.

--Spike
Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
tiki240

Originally Posted by Spike100
Thanks for kind words.

The selection of 7” standalone monitors teamed with a remote GPS box is actually shrinking these days.

Kenwood
Kenwood offered this with their KOS system (a Koss Controller and a standalone 7” LCD monitor, Kenwood KOS-L702), and also had the KNA-G510 Navigation Box combined with the Kenwood LZ-702W 7” touch-screen monitor. However these products are now being phased out. You can still buy the KOS Controller, but the standalone monitor is now a 4.3” LCD. The KNA-G510 Navigation Box is now replaced by the KNA-G610 Navigation Box, but the KNA-G610 only works with 2010 and newer Kenwood H/U’s. So, and as I see it if I have this right, the latest Kenwood products do not include a standalone 7” monitor with a navigation box solution suitable for the 350Z.

Garmin
The Garmin GVN53 (replacing the Garmin GVN52) is a standalone black box GPS that you can combine with just about any LCD monitor that supports NTSC/PAL video (using a composite video connector) or RGB (using a computer connector, VGA for example).

That makes the Garmin GVN53 a great solution for the 350Z when mounting a 7” LCD in the upper/forward cubby (above the double-din slot). However, the Garmin GVN53 does not provide touch-screen operation. You must use the handheld RF remote control. The Garmin handheld RF remote control has a thumb “joystick” that operates similar to a trackball. It works very well.

Garmin GVN53 Black Box Navigation Unit

Alpine
A great solution for a standalone LCD monitor combined with a remote GPS black box is the Alpine TME-M770 6.5” Touchscreen LCD Monitor combined with the Alpine NVE-M300 GPS Navigation Drive. The TME-M770 6.5” Touchscreen LCD Monitor fits the upper/forward cubby slot in the 350 Z, and it provides a razor sharp image and superior touch-screen function.

Alpine TME-M770 6.5” Touchscreen LCD Monitor

Alpine NVE-M300 GPS Navigation Drive

Comparisons: Kenwood, Garmin, and Alpine

The Kenwood selections for a remote standalone 7” monitor and navigation are mostly discontinued, although you can still find the products.

Garmin provides the most versatile solution since the GVN53 works with any LCD monitor. However, the GVN53 does not support touch-screen function. The GVN is the least costly solution.

Alpine provides touch-screen function and a razor sharp screen. Alpine’s LCD monitor is slightly smaller at 6.5”.

--Spike
Spike, isnt that monitor actually the TME-S370 and not the M770?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by tiki240
Spike, isnt that monitor actually the TME-S370 and not the M770?
Yes... You are correct. TME-S370 (in my picture) replaces the M770.

--Spike
Old 02-15-2011, 12:04 AM
koren

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And how do you fit alpine monitor in the cubby??????
Just got one from sonicelectronix, seems like I'm going to have to return it...

Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Spike100

^^ What is the cubby model in your picture?

Note: I don’t need the part number, just the Z model-year that this cubby fits.

--Spike
Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM
cmcurran5

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

or you could try the oem nav center without a door like i did. i think it looks pretty sweet. one thing you have to do is make a piece to cover the center where the buttons would be
Attached Thumbnails Question about 2003 cubby for screen-dsc_0101.jpg   Question about 2003 cubby for screen-dsc_0172.jpg  
Old 02-15-2011, 03:19 PM
bjjbadboy

hey I have been having the same problem.... but since I hate my stock bose so much I am just upgrading to a dd all in one and having so much trouble picking one out under the 600 mark as well I am actually staying closer to 500. No new models are even close to this price but i have found quite a few used or referb on ebay etc... You could get the jensen 9242 with ipod blue tooth and camara for like 450... I am going with the pioneer f900bt b/c it is upgradable and I found someone selling that is already upgrade... just my 2cents but the hu gonna have to get upgraded sooner or later (dont they all burn out after a few years?) really wish bose did a better job in my Z and glad I didnt pay for it to be upgraded(bought car used)
Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM
cmcurran5

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjjbadboy
hey I have been having the same problem.... but since I hate my stock bose so much I am just upgrading to a dd all in one and having so much trouble picking one out under the 600 mark as well I am actually staying closer to 500. No new models are even close to this price but i have found quite a few used or referb on ebay etc... You could get the jensen 9242 with ipod blue tooth and camara for like 450... I am going with the pioneer f900bt b/c it is upgradable and I found someone selling that is already upgrade... just my 2cents but the hu gonna have to get upgraded sooner or later (dont they all burn out after a few years?) really wish bose did a better job in my Z and glad I didnt pay for it to be upgraded(bought car used)
the clarion you see in the pictures below was under 600. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ is where i got it. but be careful because they do have refurbs on there. the first one i bought i thought i was some shopping god because i found it for 300. NOPE! lol.

Quick Reply: Question about 2003 cubby for screen