Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pioneer Avic scratch removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 PM
chrisjersey06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer Avic scratch removal?

I did something stupid today and got scratches on my Avic-D3. I did a few searches on the web and nothing was definitive. I searched on here and came up with a few threads, but nothing really gave an answer on there either. I asked people and called around, and they don't know anything as well. I read some places that said a touch-screen cell phone scratch remover will work, but then some people that I talked to said that it may do more damage than good. The scratches aren't terribly deep, but they are noticeable. Even if I can just make them lighter so I don't see them as much, I'll be happy. Does anybody know what would work, if anything? I understand that replacing the screen is expensive and difficult, so I am trying to avoid that. Any help is much appreciated!

Name:  scratch.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  41.3 KB

Last edited by chrisjersey06; 02-18-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:04 PM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know also, Mine have similar scratches.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM
chrisjersey06

Somebody recommended this stuff to me:

http://www.amazon.com/Displex-Screen.../dp/B001EJHMW0

I'm willing to give anything a shot, I just don't want to ruin the screen even more if it reacts poorly. The screen feels like a different kind of surface than an ipod or cell phone screen. If you read the reviews on there, about half are good and half are bad.

Last edited by chrisjersey06; 02-18-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Use Quixx acrylic scratch remover. Be gentle and check your work as you go until you get the desired result. You can get it at most auto parts stores. I used it on a pioneer with a big scratch in it and it took it right out. That HU had a glossy finish though. Not too sure how it will work with a touch-screen that's matte, but really, anything's better than the way it looks now.

Seriously, Quixx works. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.quixx-usa.com/products/overview/27/In:en
Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 PM
chrisjersey06

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Use Quixx acrylic scratch remover. Be gentle and check your work as you go until you get the desired result. You can get it at most auto parts stores. I used it on a pioneer with a big scratch in it and it took it right out. That HU had a glossy finish though. Not too sure how it will work with a touch-screen that's matte, but really, anything's better than the way it looks now.

Seriously, Quixx works. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.quixx-usa.com/products/overview/27/In:en
Thanks, I'll take a look at it the next time I'm in an auto parts store. Like I said, I'm willing to try anything as long as it won't damage the screen further.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:09 AM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not too sure from your pics but does anyone have that chrome **** finish flake off? mine flaked so theres little chips here and there

sorry for hijack
Old 02-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Unfortunately, there is no good way to deal with a deep scratch on an LCD screen. Any polishing agent is simply an abrasive that spreads the problem to a wider area. A filler is only cosmetic, and does not even accomplish that adequately.

The advantage of the Z is its upper forward cubby where you place your LCD screen that is easily and inexpensively replaced. Expensive devices with LCD screens placed in the DD slot do not have this advantage.

--Spike
Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 PM
RANDY350Z

I would order the part and face plate and replace it yourself, its easy you jsut hve to take your time. I did one back about 7 years ago.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Linuxglobal

i had a scratch like that, almost identical but in the other corner.
My unit came like that so im not sure how it happened, screen worked ok in that region so it wasnt a functional issue.

I used wet and dry paper on it and it came out. It left the screen very matte in that area. So i applied 3m photo finishing film to the entire scree and it looked like new when it was done.

That would be the only solution to fix it. I had to take apart the whole front of the unit.
if you need any tips just pm me.

Cheers
Ciprian