Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Suggestion/Help replacing H/U. N00b installer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011 | 05:12 AM
Louis21

Default Suggestion/Help replacing H/U. N00b installer!

Hey guys,
I have an 07 Enthusiast (stock non bose system) and I am looking to replace the stock head unit, cd player will no longer feed CD's properly. The issue is I am a complete Noob when it comes to car audio. I have never installed or taken apart anything on the inside of my car, or any car for that matter.
I am not looking for anything flashy or fancy, I live in a condo and don't have a garage, last thing I want is to call attention to the car with a fancy head-unit that just screams to be broken into. Matter of fact if the stock head-unit still worked properly i wouldn't even bother with replacing it, however getting a stock head-unit i can just plug and play form the dealer is 300+
I am leaning towards a single din head-unit, after seeing most double din units start around 300.00. The only things I would like to have is ability to connect my iphone so i can stream music from it, I understand this could be done from a USB port so the H/U I am looking at all have a USB port on them
I am leaning towards:

Pioneer DEH-4300UB -simple headunit, nothing fancy 119.00
Pioneer DEH-7300BT- same as above but with bluetooth 169.00
Pioneer DEH-P8300UB - no bluetooth, Pandora radio compatible 179.00

1)Anyone has any experience with any of these?
2)Would I be able to stream music form my iphone via Bluetooth on the 7300BT? or is the Bluetooth only for calls?
Looking at Crutchfield it tells me I need the dash kit and a harness. I understand there is also a cable that I can get to be able to hook my steering wheel controls to the H/U but cannot find this yet.
I guess my main question is:

3)Should I get this installed? Or do you think it is easy enough for someone with NO experience to do it?

I was reading that this requires soldering, which there's no way I could do(no equipment and no experience with that) so maybe I can just twist the cables or use connectors instead?, I found a doc on taking apart the center dash part, hopefully it is not too hard...any tips or advice appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011 | 11:27 AM
bjjbadboy

i am by far no expert with audio electrical. I am actually in the process of finishing installing my pioneer f90bt(w the help of this site and the diy) there some post on here bout it. things I can tell you

you will need a dash kit and you will need a harness-dash like 20 bucks and harness like 10(just bought both)

if i didnt have bose I would say super easy b/c I believe I am going to need another harness to make my factory bose sub and amp work with the new hu.
as for everything else. If you have no experience ripping apart the interior of cars I would tread softly b/c the plasitcs are hella soft and crack easy. if your good with this stuff then search the diy on installing and youll get a step by step with pics on where everything is and how to take apart... really not that bad. They wanted between 3-500 to install my HU....no thanks pm me if you anything I can help with literally putting everything back into car in next 10 mins. good luck.. and also there are way cheapier sites then crutchfield although they are very good for advice and help department... I waited to find a perfect condition used.. Mine is a little older model but just updated with new software paid him 500 for everything.. goodluck
Old 02-21-2011 | 01:11 PM
bl4nk

I was able to finish installing my headunit, subwoofer and amp last week with no prior experience, just read alot of DIY on here and it was pretty straightforward, the hardest part was probably fitting all the wires behind the headunit after install

p.s. i just used butt connectors instead of soldering and it was fine for me, it is super cramped back there so I don't think the wires will come apart
Old 02-21-2011 | 03:38 PM
golfguy

Originally Posted by bl4nk
p.s. i just used butt connectors instead of soldering and it was fine for me, it is super cramped back there so I don't think the wires will come apart
I just finished installing an Alpine iXA-W407 in my Z. It's definitely tight back there, but you can cram those wires in pretty tight. That's why you should use a wiring harness kit - you can solder up the harness on your workbench and just plug it to the car harness and your radio when you install. Butt connectors will of course work, but vibration is the enemy of those connectors and you don't want to have to take the dash apart to troubleshoot loose wires. Soldering tools are not expensive and it's not hard to learn. Plenty of Googleable instruction on that. Go slow and check everything before you put it all back in place.