Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

CARPUTER - but how to get the wires to it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
neo-ninja121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARPUTER - but how to get the wires to it!

Hi All,

This is my first post but im a long time lurker! Fantastic site!

I have been intrested in doing a carputer build, and from all the guides on here can 100% understand on my 2004 Uk ZED, that i need to take apart the dash fit a new 2003 cubby etc.. I also can work out how to do the bose hack to get me a phono lead to plug into my carputer. I can also thanks to guides work out how to get power from the battery to the interior of the car.

But.....(heres the problem) what i dont get and need help on is i want to fit the car puter in the passenger seat glovebox. How do i get the cables from there to the battery, and from there to the screen/stereo in the dash.

I can understand how to get the audio/video/usb cables down the center gear stick area but when they get to the end how do i get them into the dash. Likewise once the power cable runs along the door how do i get it to the glovebox.

I dont want to drill any holes in the front of the box as its meant to be a stealth install. And ideally i want the install to be removable once i sell the car.

Many thanks in advance!!
NEO
Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You install the wiring the same way Nissan did. Once you take everything apart, it's pretty straightforward, if it fits.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
neo-ninja121

Originally Posted by rcdash
You install the wiring the same way Nissan did. Once you take everything apart, it's pretty straightforward, if it fits.
But how do i actually do that, the only guides i have found imply i litrally need to take apart the entire inside to get the cables in.

Which seems alot of work, and not alot of people mention it when talking about car pcs which is strange...

Any links would be great.
(My current debate is I am very confident with pcs, but not very confident with taking of pannels etc.. and i think i will chicken out if it requires a massive amount of remiving pannels with clips that can break etc..) The dash after reading a few of the guides doesnt (fingers crossed) currently phase me...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Installing a CarPC requires disassembly of the center dash piece (to access the DD slot – where you connect some of your power and ground lines; and the upper/forward cubby – where you install your LCD screen), the pieces covering the transmission tunnel (to run your wires), and the panels covering the rear glove boxes (to gain access to the small upper compartments and the large lower compartments where you place your CarPC components).

There are DIY’s here for the center dash piece and the transmission tunnel. The rear compartment is a little more difficult. Also… check the CarPC sites for more information.

--Spike
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 PM
neo-ninja121

Originally Posted by Spike100
Installing a CarPC requires disassembly of the center dash piece (to access the DD slot – where you connect some of your power and ground lines; and the upper/forward cubby – where you install your LCD screen), the pieces covering the transmission tunnel (to run your wires), and the panels covering the rear glove boxes (to gain access to the small upper compartments and the large lower compartments where you place your CarPC components).

There are DIY’s here for the center dash piece and the transmission tunnel. The rear compartment is a little more difficult. Also… check the CarPC sites for more information.

--Spike
Yup seen the guides you have suggested, and they all seem (fingers crossed) quite straight forward. However i have searched far and wide to try and work out the last bit and everyone just mentions it and no one shows it. Apart from taking everything off to do a complicated speaker install.

Any links you or anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Or an explanation from someone who has done it!

Thanks
NEO
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Removing the rear panels (exposing the “skeleton” behind the seats) is fairly straightforward. Many of the panels are fiction-fit. You carefully pry the panels in a sequential order (i.e., removing one panel often requires removing overlaying panels).

It isn’t cool to direct my350z.com members to other sites, so my best suggestion is to Goggle this text: “350z + rear panel removal

--Spike
Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 AM
neo-ninja121

Thanks for the heads up, i had heard from another member there was a way of pulling down the carpet under the rear cubby and then it reveals two holes that you can then put cables up and push the carpet up into the cubby.

I havent had a chance to look. But removing too many pannels that have clips that can break would do my head in i think.

Will keep you posted
Neo
Old 02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
golfguy

I've installed (and since removed) a carputer in my Z. It's much more difficult to try to do all the wire routing without removing all the panels than it is to remove them. Just unscrew/unsnap everything and make notes or take pictures where everything went. You can drill holes in the glove box at the appropriate places to bring in the cables, but you can't really do it with the box in place, and you can't take the box out without removing (or at least unscrewing and lifting) the console and back panel. I think I only broke one clip. It's not as hard as it might initially seem.