Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Suggestions for Audio Builds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011 | 07:10 PM
Gozirra

Default Suggestions for Audio Builds?

Hey all,

So after a bit of time, Ive decided that Im going be focusing on the audio/interior-visuals of my car first considering 350s are already sexy on the outside and fast enough to be a high schooler's DD .

I have the 03 Touring with Bose system. Problem is, I bought used and the sub and rears don't work. On top of that, the head unit doesn't have an aux, which is a big problem for me, as the FM adapters just plain blow.

My first car was a 98 civic sedan (BIIIIG jump), and audio was the only thing I was interested in due to the fact that it looked like a$$ and was very slow. I put in some sort of pioneer headunit, Infinity Reference speakers all around, and a 10" JL W7 woofer in a red-eye HO box with a JL 500/1v2. I wired everything together myself so atm I am decently familiar with wiring and the basics, although I may need to go over some stuff to remember.

Here is what I want to put in my Z:
A 12" Alpine Type R woofer and a Kenwood KAC-9105D amp.
Here are the links -

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Kac-91.../ref=de_a_smtd

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SWR-1243D.html

I plan to wire it down to 2ohms, feeding about 900@14.4 to the Type R.
I chose the sub because I have experience with alpine and LOVE their all-around SQ + volume. The amp puts out a good amount of power, is decently priced, and above all has two fans which cool it. The reviews for both products seem great! Any input on these is appreciated.

What I need to figure out:
1. The dang enclosure! From what I've read on here enclosures for a 12" in the Z are a pain in the ***. True? Ive read how someone got an enclosure for around 120, but Ive only been able to find one for 190 on ebay, is this the best choice for me?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZEnclosures-350Z...item588ab0dc26

2. Head Unit - Whats the best bang for the buck head unit? Im looking for some sort of touch screen, just as long as it puts out decent quality Ill be set. Under 300 the lower the better but obviously nothing walmart quality. I know you get what you pay for but I also know that the Type Rs are great subs and cost a lot less than competitive brands (just as an example that lower price doesn't always mean awful).

Id love to hear your opinions and if you feel the need to, you can criticize my choices all you want, Ill learn something from that anyway so if you must - flame away! Any help at all is much appreciated!

Looking forward to your responses,
LKZ Prof
Old 05-23-2011 | 07:52 AM
usarmy1113

Go with two tens and focal sPeakers check my setup on oem looking setup thread
Old 05-23-2011 | 08:21 AM
gvulakh

I would stay away from the Kenwood amp. 900 watts rms for $160?

The type r sub is ok. I am running a 10 inch type r powered by an Alpine pdx 600. I would look for a higher quality amp used. Try ebay or craigslist.

As far a sq head unit with a touchscreen.......not too many out there. I have gone through about 10 different head units in my Z and I have an 8 year old Alpine 9833 that has the best sq after all the tuning is done with the parametric eq, crossovers, and time alignment.

I do suggest starting with the head unit, then move on to your front speaker set up. Nice amp on good quality front speakers will be a good base for the rest of your system.

Then move on to your subwoofer set up. The boxes that are made for under the strut bar have a very small air volume. Make sure you check the specs of the sub you plan to get before you buy. Make sure it works with the box size or it will be disappointing. My 10" type r barely works in the under the strut bar enclosure I bought from ebay. With a larger enclosure it would be more efficient with the 600 watts rms I'm feeding it.

Just my .02
Old 05-23-2011 | 08:49 AM
gordenZ

Originally Posted by LKZProf
I plan to wire it down to 2ohms, feeding about 900@14.4 to the Type R.
Feed 1 Type R @2ohms 900rms? AFAIK Type Rs run at about 500rms. So unless your amp is going to feed you anywhere between 475 - 600rms @2ohms, you might want to reconsider that.

You have to realize that you no longer have a civic. Trunk space in the Z for sound is VERY minimal and tricky to work with. I personally think that 12" on a fitted sealed enclosure is too much, as much as you like Type Rs, having a bigger and stronger sub playing under their optimal capacity sound a lot crappier then having a weaker and smaller sub playing to it's optimal capacity. Also, the reason why I automatically crossed out the idea of having a 12" sub in my Z was the fact that THERE ISN'T ENOUGH SPACE for the 12 to fit under the strut bar!!! That look of the sub digging past the level of the trunk liner makes me a little jittery. It destroys the whole clean looking concept.

By the way, I hope you aren't one of those people who believe a 12"s play better than 10"s. You had a 10" before, you should know how they play.

I have a dual 10" ZEnclosure that I paid about 160 shipped off the ZEnclosure websites using their my350z Coupon code "myzcar". I don't know if that still works. But I kinda wished I've went with a single 10". I'm on 2 10"s pushing about 600WRMS each, and I had my box adjusted a bit to fit my requirements. I still think my subs look too brollic on my tiny strut based enclosure.

If you do decide to go with that box, and have it sealed, buying it off ZEnclosures.com you can have them close up the airspace on your box to fit your sub. That enclosure has about 1.6ft³ of airspace volume. The Type R asks for 1ft³ for optimal. I like to always give it a little more airspace then the optimal, so I would have it adjusted to 1.2ft³.

But don't be scared to go smaller!

I am a converted RE Audio member after having Type Rs, MTXs, Fosgate Punches, Kicker CRXs, JLs and even a set of Kicker L7s.

The RE sub is a pretty good bang for the buck. They make a sub that has close specs to the JL subs, for about half the price.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o-SEX10D4.html

That is the same sub I have.

This is my setup:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...s-install.html

As for Head Unit? I've had many before. In order of most to least favorite:
1- Pioneer
2- Kenwood
3- Alpine
4- JVC

My last 3 HU were all Pioneer, and I honestly don't see myself going to a different brand anytime soon. I have a AVHP3200-DVD in dash touchscreen. I've had their Single DINs before too and can vouch for them at any time.

Go to the Pioneer Audio website, pick a model, and throw it on eBay. You will see them for almost 50% cheaper, brand new.

Be wise and think twice before you go through with your decisions. :]

Last edited by gordenZ; 05-23-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2011 | 06:07 PM
Gozirra

Thanks for the replies guys!

Alright so ill try take everything into account,
1. I had 2 10" type rs so yes I know what they sound like. Yes louder with better sq, but the bass will not get as low as the 12.

2. Yes 900wrms, from personal experience, (not saying you're wrong) some subs can handle half and maybe a tad bit more than half their max if not abused. The type R is rated at 600 rms and 1800max. Plus, don't forget that the amp output is rated at 14.4v and the voltage will drop a bit throughout the song, only amps like the JL Slash put out the same power no matter the resistance or voltage.

3. Those RE subs look freakin sweet, I'm actually really thinking about those now, it'd save me a lot of hassle.

4. How much do those head units that you mentioned cost?

Thanks for the replies!

PS. Why is the Kenwood not a reliable amp? Its got nothing but good reviews, Kenwood amps arent too bad in general are they? And yes 160 for 900watts is a pretty good deal isnt it? For instance an alpine that will get me 1000 watts would cost around 450.

If thats not good enough whats a good amp for two of those RE's? id need 1200wrms @ 4ohms haha.. that seems expensive

Last edited by Gozirra; 05-23-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2011 | 07:18 PM
sunnyboii

I have the Avh 3200 off amazon total with harness $250. $230 without harness. Works well lots of features.

Cons: USB is in the front aux is in the front.
Old 05-23-2011 | 07:30 PM
Gozirra

Originally Posted by sunnyboii
I have the Avh 3200 off amazon total with harness $250. $230 without harness. Works well lots of features.

Hm it shows up as 370 for me? http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P3.../dp/B00385H7RS
Old 05-24-2011 | 05:36 AM
Cool_Gray_350Z

Just and FYI that on ebay, some of the zenclosures are going for $105 shipped to you. I'm currently looking for a sub that can fit the zenclosure since not all do. Check with them before you proceed with the sub.
Old 05-24-2011 | 05:56 AM
gordenZ

Default RE:

Originally Posted by sunnyboii

1. I had 2 10" type rs so yes I know what they sound like. Yes louder with better sq, but the bass will not get as low as the 12.
Not necessarily. Although the size of the sub is always a factor of it achieving low frequencies, it's not the only factor. Excursion, suspension and motor drive also have a big impact on that.

2. Yes 900wrms, from personal experience, (not saying you're wrong) some subs can handle half and maybe a tad bit more than half their max if not abused. The type R is rated at 600 rms and 1800max. Plus, don't forget that the amp output is rated at 14.4v and the voltage will drop a bit throughout the song, only amps like the JL Slash put out the same power no matter the resistance or voltage.

Like I said before, going smaller and optimal is always better, but it seems like you want to stay with Type Rs so hope that works for ya.

3. Those RE subs look freakin sweet, I'm actually really thinking about those now, it'd save me a lot of hassle.
Yep, they look good and sound good.

4. How much do those head units that you mentioned cost?
Seems like the price got bumped back up. I got mine around the year end holidays, it came out to 280 shipped.
Lowest i found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-5-8-MONI...item3367d85294

PS. Why is the Kenwood not a reliable amp? Its got nothing but good reviews, Kenwood amps arent too bad in general are they? And yes 160 for 900watts is a pretty good deal isnt it? For instance an alpine that will get me 1000 watts would cost around 450.
I either do Rockford Fosgate or Hifonics for my subs, and Crunch or Renegade for speakers.

If thats not good enough whats a good amp for two of those RE's? id need 1200wrms @ 4ohms haha.. that seems expensive
Not really, if you are doing 2 subs, you can get the subs at 4ohm, and wire them at 1ohm to get the max power of the amp and not break your pockets buying an amp. Or if you are doing 1 Sub, get the sub 2Ohm version of the sub, and wire it at 1ohm, and get a amp to feed 600RMS @ 1ohm.

Tip: High Power/Low Resistance subs = cheaper. So if money is an issue, you might want to wire them at 1ohm and save your self a couple hundreds buying an amp.

And remember, impedance doesn't only give you power. It also gives you wiring options.
Answered in Quote.

Last edited by gordenZ; 05-24-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2011 | 10:25 AM
Gozirra

I'm actually thinking about a 10" RE with the Kenwood amp and the 2300 version of that pioneer headunit
Old 05-24-2011 | 11:10 AM
gordenZ

I'm actually thinking about a 10" RE with the Kenwood amp and the 2300 version of that pioneer headunit
Old 05-24-2011 | 11:44 AM
Gozirra

Thanks a lot for the help guys I appreciate it
Old 05-24-2011 | 02:30 PM
sunnyboii

LOL wtf! I didn't even check. But if you are not in a rush I guaranteed you it will drop down. When I was shopping for it. I waited 2months price seem to stay at "230ish"
Old 05-24-2011 | 06:51 PM
Gozirra

Ehh yeah Im waiting a bit before I get it all settled but we'll see what happens
Old 05-27-2011 | 02:12 AM
usarmy1113

here is my setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J60rzTmmKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAiwJOofrS8
Old 05-30-2011 | 02:47 PM
My LT Won

alot of miss-info going around in here.

what are your goals? the 350z has little space but that also works for getting loud. the smaller the cabin the easier to get loud. i'd build a ported enclosure if you wan't any sort of output.

also look else where for good quality subs/amps. the mainstream stuff is nothing special and you can usualy get much better for cheaper. also the size of a sub doesn't make it play lower. it's more in the box design. my sundown 8's crushed the lows in a ported box. they will get lower then these 12's in sealed enclosures.
Old 05-31-2011 | 10:21 AM
Gozirra

Originally Posted by My LT Won
alot of miss-info going around in here.

what are your goals? the 350z has little space but that also works for getting loud. the smaller the cabin the easier to get loud. i'd build a ported enclosure if you wan't any sort of output.

also look else where for good quality subs/amps. the mainstream stuff is nothing special and you can usualy get much better for cheaper. also the size of a sub doesn't make it play lower. it's more in the box design. my sundown 8's crushed the lows in a ported box. they will get lower then these 12's in sealed enclosures.
From what I've experienced (and I know it
varies from box to box) ported boxes do get louder, but quality is sacrificed. It's very very difficult to make a ported box sustain quality throughout a wide range of bass, and I literally listen to all types of music, and with me having no enclosure fabrication experience, forgetaboutit. Those are my main reasons, quality and simplicity. I know I won't be the loudest guy on the block, ill enjoy my music anyway though so ill be ok.
Old 05-31-2011 | 11:04 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

glove box sub in passenger side, JL13TW5. Boston pro60se's all the way around, Wicked CAS pods, alpine pdx 1.1000 and 4.150, stinger 10 farad capacitor bank, 2 gauge wire, bare metal grounds. Alpine IVA w imprint.. done. Wont get much better.. or id have bought it.
Old 05-31-2011 | 11:12 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

im all about quality, and im ALL about light weight , stealth, and OEM simplicity as well.

I, unlike you, am no longer in HS.
I commend you for wanting something simple. good job.
Old 05-31-2011 | 02:53 PM
TPete19

i'd build a ported enclosure if you wan't any sort of output.
The best sounding and loudest box I ever owned was a sealed enclosure. The most important thing about your enclosure is the size. If the size is wrong, it'll sound terrible.

also look else where for good quality subs/amps. the mainstream stuff is nothing special and you can usualy get much better for cheaper.
100% in agreement! Find a reputable local shop. The best brands usually aren't at the big box shops.

also the size of a sub doesn't make it play lower. it's more in the box design. my sundown 8's crushed the lows in a ported box. they will get lower then these 12's in sealed enclosures.
Again, 100% true! The best sounding setup I have owned consisted of 3 10's. They out-pounded and out-classed my friends' 12" and 15" systems. The box was matched perfectly with the subs' recommended airspace.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Audio Builds?