Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Does replacing a BOSE unit with a CarPC require an amp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:24 PM
aireq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does replacing a BOSE unit with a CarPC require an amp?

I'm looking to install a car pc in my '03 350Z Touring with BOSE system, but not Navigation. Now I'm trying to understand how I would need to wire up the audio. In the future I want to upgrade the actual audio system with new speakers and a good amp. But right now I just want to focus on getting the computer up and running, while using the existing audio system if possible.

I know there is some little crappy amp in the back of my car. Is this amp for all the speakers, or just the BOSE sub? Or does the stock BOSE head unit amplify the four main speakers or is there a separate amp somewhere? In other words if I take out the stock head unit and replace it with a Car PC that is outputting line level audio, am I absolutely going to need to also install an amp to run the speakers?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:13 PM
aireq

Alright I've been reading some more posts and it sounds like there are two amps, one for the sub and another for the speakers.

So does that mean the wiring harneess that plus into the back of the bose head unit takes standard line level signals? If so that would be great for what I'm trying to do.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Michla22

Your best bet is to get an aftermarket amp. Then you can run from the pc to the amp and then to the speakers. I don't think many folks here are running a computer in the car (there are maybe a handful). Try this site for better info: www.mp3car.com

I currently run a 7 inch touch screen with a pc - wired to an audio processor which is controlled by a head unit. The audio processor then goes to an amp and onto the speakers. I've had this setup for quite sometime (before iPhones/iPads). I've kept this setup because I have my computer plugged into the OBDII as well as some of my gauges for data logging and such. However for most people I suggest an iPad or iPod type setup as is it less maintnence, cheaper and easier.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
aireq

Yeah I've been using mp3car.com a lot already. Great site.

Really whether or not I'm using a computer or not is irrelevant. What I really want to know is can the Bose head unit be replaced by another device that outputs a standard line level audio single. Or in other-words does the Bose head unit output some kind of proprietary signal that only the Bose amps can handle. For example could I replace the Bose head unit with an aftermarket CD player and still use the stock Bose speakers and amps?

I know upgrading to an aftermarket amp and speakers is the best option, and a definitely plan to do this. However, I don't have the money to do everything all at once, and was hoping to do this project in stages.

Originally Posted by Michla22
Your best bet is to get an aftermarket amp. Then you can run from the pc to the amp and then to the speakers. I don't think many folks here are running a computer in the car (there are maybe a handful). Try this site for better info: www.mp3car.com

I currently run a 7 inch touch screen with a pc - wired to an audio processor which is controlled by a head unit. The audio processor then goes to an amp and onto the speakers. I've had this setup for quite sometime (before iPhones/iPads). I've kept this setup because I have my computer plugged into the OBDII as well as some of my gauges for data logging and such. However for most people I suggest an iPad or iPod type setup as is it less maintnence, cheaper and easier.