Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Adding oem Bose headunit to non-Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Brogan07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding oem Bose headunit to non-Bose system

Was wondering if anybody could help me to better understand what's involved in getting the oem Bose HU to work in a non-Bose Z.

I have a 2007 Enthusiast, with no aftermarket speakers, amps, etc. and I prefer the oem look of the stock hu, but would like the added functionality of the 6 disc changer, MP3, etc.

I realize the Bose system is a complete circuit installation, including the wiring, amp, and speakers. What I would like to know is exactly what needs to be altered, installed, or taken out to accomplish this, and how much I can expect to spend to get it done for me.

I realize it very well might be cheaper to get all aftermarket equipment (and I may in fact do so in the future) , but like I said, I prefer the oem HU look at this time.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

much of the amp guts in a BOSE system are NOT inside the deck itself, rather they are at the speakers in the doors, in the trunk etc.

They are nowhere near compatible.

Doing so is futile, and gains you ZERO over adding a good aftermarket unit. I know it looks nice and OEM but to be honest, either buy a non bose unit or upgrade, you basically have no other option.

Hope that helps solve that.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
dreamspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bose is horrible, others may disagree...but imho is overpriced and a mediocre brand at best.

You can fit a nice double din unit with an LCD or just get a car kit.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

You'd need to find someone that's willing to compare the wiring diagrams of the two systems, run new cabling throughout between the bose components, you'd have to buy the bose head unit, bose speaker amp, bose sub amp, bose front speakers, bose rear speakers, bose sub, all of the bose specific connectors, CD changer, etc.

At the end of the day, the bose system is isolated from the ECU and other systems, so as long as you have all of the components and a tech can figure out the wiring between each of the connectors, it's possible. However, it may take a tech a lot of labor to do that part. And you may have a harder time finding the connectors than the equipment. I'm about to rip my whole Bose system out, and could remove the connectors as well if you can't find them elsewhere. Just PM me if you have trouble finding the stuff and want mine. I have everything except for the CD Changer and the CD Changer connector. If you were closer, I'd do the swap for you myself.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Originally Posted by bmccann101
much of the amp guts in a BOSE system are NOT inside the deck itself, rather they are at the speakers in the doors, in the trunk etc.

They are nowhere near compatible.
As he alluded to, you have to replace everything. It isn't the best option, isn't going to be the most cost effective option, but if you're set on having the OEM look, it can be done. It just isn't easy or cheap. You could spend less money and have better performance out of an aftermarket setup. Or you could just buy a CD changer that connects to your stock radio via FM modulator.

I responded to the question that you asked, because my dad has the exact same opinion. He wants an OEM head unit for the look, regardless of cost and performance compared to an aftermarket unit. If you're of the same mind, it can be done.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Brogan07

Hmm. It seems strange for a car audio system to be so proprietary that way. Almost like they don't want you to mess with it. Thanks for the info.

Let me ask you this. If I did want to upgrade just the speakers, would something like this allow me to connect the Bose hu without issue?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:17 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 to what SparkleCityHop said.

Stay away from the OEM Bose stuff at all costs. Whatever it is you're trying to do, you can do better by going aftermarket and for the same price. If the newer Bose HU's CD player is anything like the original Bose HU, then it will skip like a ****.

Plus, with the Bose HU, you probably need to get the amp that's in the trunk. There's also another small amp for the IB sub behind the driver's seat.

BTW, I just gave my Bose HU away to a local guy who was selling his Z.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

That LC6 is meant to take normal line outputs and run them to an amp's preamp inputs. You could use that to keep your current OEM head unit in place, but add amps and aftermarket speakers.

Yes, the Bose is by design proprietary. And as mentioned above, it is not "high quality".

If you want to maintain the OEM head unit look, keep your head unit, buy a 6 disk changer with FM modulator, use something like that LC6 to run inputs to an amp, and replace your factory speakers. You're going to lose some quality doing the line level conversion of the audio instead of having an aftermarket head unit with preamp outputs, but that is probably your best bet if you are set on maintaining the OEM head unit look.

If you want something tasteful and that sounds good, take the time to shop for a double din head unit that isn't flashy. They are out there, but you have to look around - because the aftermarket audio companies mostly market to kids that are going for that "hey did you notice my mad tyte radio with screens and stuff, yo" customer.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 07-21-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Brogan07
Hmm. It seems strange for a car audio system to be so proprietary that way. Almost like they don't want you to mess with it. Thanks for the info.

Let me ask you this. If I did want to upgrade just the speakers, would something like this allow me to connect the Bose hu without issue?
Bose is a proprietary system. They do not want you mixing their equipment with non-Bose components. People attempting Bose-hybrid systems typically have various problems (e.g., volume control problems, amplifier idiosyncrasies, wiring issues etc.).

RE:> Let me ask you this. If I did want to upgrade just the speakers, would something like this allow me to connect the Bose hu without issue?

No. If you attempt this, you will experience a plethora of problems. The Bose H/U needs a proprietary external amplifier (2 in the Z), and that amplifier won’t work with non-Bose or aftermarket speakers unless you install an adapter (which compromises sound quality). You are fortunate that your car is "Bose-less."

--Spike
Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

For the love of pete
Why don't you just add some my speakers to the non bose unit you have now.. I dont understand what the logic is here.

If he has a non Bose..add to that if he wants to retain the look.

How am I not getting this?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

For the love of pete
Why don't you just add some my speakers to the non bose unit you have now.. I dont understand what the logic is here.

How am I not getting this?
OEM HU doesn't have adequate output to drive decent aftermarket speakers. He would most likely get worse sound quality by under-driving new speakers than he would lose in a qualtiy line level converter and amp that matches the appropriate watt output to match the speaker's requirements.

All of this is theoretical since we don't know what speakers he would be looking at, etc. Best option is to find a good car audio shop that knows what they are talking about and work with them because there are so many variables when retrofitting aftermarket to an OEM setup.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 07-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

In theory ..but it'd loc a stock deck to a little 5 channel all day long before I tried to retrofit a Bose system..used to deal with this weekly at the install shop I ran.

Op..there's yer options man..jus sayin..
Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Yeah, I'm not advocating the Bose HU unless he absolutely had to stick with the OEM look AND had to have integrated 6CD controls instead of separate CD controls. That's why I offered the solution that he asked for, but explained that it would not be a good idea compared to the other options (whether judging based on cost or sound quality).
Old 07-21-2011, 05:01 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Your lucky you live farther away haha
your offer to help hom w tge swap would've turned up making you a martyr hee hee.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

I love a challenge. I've been extending all the wiring from the seats back, because I have to re-route the wiring now that I've cut out all of the sheet metal. Snip, add length of wire, slip on shrink wrap, solder, shrink the wrap - rinse and repeat. It's like a "wire tuck" for the interior. hahaha

Good luck on your decision, OP. Let us know what you decide and how it goes!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brogan07
how much I can expect to spend to get it done for me.
More than trading your car for one with Bose installed.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Do you have any statistics/survey data supporting that statement?

--Spike
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Brogan07

Wow, lotta responses. Looks like some of you guys have had considerable experience with this stuff. I really appreciate the info and the time.

For the love of pete
Trust me, that was how I originally was looking at this.

But I'm not totally unhappy with the Clarion speakers (I think that's what the non-Bose system uses, right?) as they are now. Obviously, they could be much improved but I am not quite ready to get a full fledged amplified boomin' system just yet (got a few more mods I need to pay for first).

The 2 major reasons for why a Bose oem hu were (aside from being fairly happy with it when I had it in my Maxima) the changer and MP3 capabilities. And I've heard both good and bad things about non-integrated add-ons like the FM modulator Sparkle suggested, as well as those ipod adapters where you have to tune into a radio station - signal loss, volume issues, etc.

Honestly, what I need to do is like somebody mentioned, go to a local shop and get some more info on what kind of options I have. I really haven't been looking at what some of the new HU's can do lately, and I have an iPod, a decent phone, etc.

Thanks again for the info and replies everyone.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:40 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Good luck. The fact that you're taking the time to ask questions, listening to advice, and thinking it through before spending is a good sign.