Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

*Potential* solution to Nav voice with aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Mike1082

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb *Potential* solution to Nav voice with aftermarket HU

I am currently in the planning stages of a new audio setup. I have done my fair share of searching and browsing the audio forum here, as well as other sites. The common conclusion to the question "Will my OEM navigation voice work with an aftermarket head unit?" tends to be NO, without wiring up another amp, and a separate, hidden speaker.

I used to be an amateur installer, and have done my fair share of setups in many different cars... and have been able to work around some strange situations with crappy OEM electronics (like our Bose system).

Anyway, I would like to share a couple of ideas I have floating around in my head. I have more or less done something similar in the past, and I am fairly certain this will work...

Scenario 1:
Relocate factory Bose radio (possibly in OEM Bose sub location, or somewhere else hidden). Wire the radio with power, ground, acc, amp remote, rear speaker leads (to factory Bose amp), and the nav harness. Using this setup, the factory Navigation will send its voice output through the OEM radio as intended by Nissan, through the factory Bose amp, and out to the rear speakers (OEM).

Scenario 2:
Remove OEM radio completely. Run audio leads from NAV harness directly to the line level inputs on the factory Bose amp, for the OEM rears. Run 12v ACC lead to amp turn on at the Bose amp.

In any case, I intend to install an aftermarket head unit with separate amps for the front stage and subs. I have no plan to use rear fill, since it seems that the consensus is to spend the extra $ on good components up front. Since the factory rear speakers will be sitting unused, and the Bose amp could potentially be left alone in the trunk, I figured this might be a possible workaround, and will utilize what is already there.

I do realize that this will not mute my music for voice output, but that is another discussion altogether, and honestly I don't care. Has anyone already tried one of the above methods? I cannot seem to find a discussion that covers either of these 2 scenarios.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM
LVZ053

I was going to do the seperate speaker method, got lazy, and ended up leaving the nav voice off. The only thing I miss about the nav voice is it tells you which side of the street the building is on. Besides that I really don't need it.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Mike1082

I hear ya... I have found that (still with stock radio) I leave the voice off most of the time. But if I am in a very unfamiliar area, and using the nav, I like the option of having it there.
Also, I am sure there are others that would like this feature to be handy, just based on the number of times that same above question has been asked.
I will be swapping out the head unit in the near future, and I will explore these options and post results. With these being little to no-cost options, I feel they are worth looking into.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Steezy

Hey guys, I used to have Z but i have a G now. but I had the same problem with my aftermarket HU/navi. I see you have the wiring down, but as far as muting it you can find instructions here:

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coup...ouble-bin.html on post #6 i have mute instructions posted

Last edited by Steezy; 08-30-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Mike1082

Looks similar to these instructions, which is what I plan to do as far as muting:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...head-unit.html

Thanks for the input. I am going to be trying this method in the fall, and I will post my results here.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Steezy

yup! exactly, i saw those instructions floating around the G website and all they said was that it was from this site and we've just been copyin n pasting it. i just added my .02 at the bottom. imo the relay is a waste of money and space :/ and the extra speaker makes your navi look ghetto or cheap :/