Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Cubby tablet ideas? GPS, Kindle, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Ish99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a Magellan 1700 in an 03, its got the retractable cubby. I just had to take a dremel to the sides of the GPS to get it to fit. There is a recent tread in here where a bunch of people installed them.

Last edited by Ish99; 12-20-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 PM
goracerx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...A dremel to the sides? Did you guys take it apart and remove the cover to mount the screen flush?

Dang, now I have to replace the NAV surround unit which hopefully is about the same as the discount I got but now i'm wondering if I should have just bought the 5" Garmin or a tablet using 4g. Grr, can't figure out where the pics are on Bionic.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Ish99

I left it completely assembled and gradually took a little off each side till it fit snug in the cubby.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:01 AM
goracerx

I'm still debating this. I have a 7" Magellan with rear cam and I tested it on the seat since I couldn't mount it. It worked at my X's house which has no Verizon 3or4g signal. There was a few issues. I couldn't attach my Bionic and it won't pair an ear bud. Secondly, it's just not loud enough in a roadster, even with the top closed.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Omyn.Z

I put a nook color in my cubby

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...r-install.html
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 AM
goracerx

Originally Posted by Omyn.Z
Sweet. I think the Fire is nicer but double the price. Does the Nook have audio out? That's my biggest issue with the roadster is not hearing it with the top down and/or the radio on. I don't want to tether as GPS kills the droid battery. I thought of getting the 3G thing from TW cable to use for a tablet though.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Omyn.Z

Originally Posted by goracerx
Sweet. I think the Fire is nicer but double the price. Does the Nook have audio out? That's my biggest issue with the roadster is not hearing it with the top down and/or the radio on. I don't want to tether as GPS kills the droid battery. I thought of getting the 3G thing from TW cable to use for a tablet though.
The Kindle fire does have a faster processor but for the application, it really shouldn't matter. The community for modding/rooting this device is HUGE which is why I chose it. The price was really good too.

It has aux out and will do the job well. You can get a bluetooth GPS adapter and just keep it in your car hidden, wired into your car's power. Just tether your data connection through your phone to the tablet via wifi. I think paying for a dedicated device AND additional plan is ridiculous. Car charger will keep your phone from dying.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 AM
goracerx

Originally Posted by Omyn.Z
The Kindle fire does have a faster processor but for the application, it really shouldn't matter. The community for modding/rooting this device is HUGE which is why I chose it. The price was really good too.

It has aux out and will do the job well. You can get a bluetooth GPS adapter and just keep it in your car hidden, wired into your car's power. Just tether your data connection through your phone to the tablet via wifi. I think paying for a dedicated device AND additional plan is ridiculous. Car charger will keep your phone from dying.
Ok, checked it out and does seem more open source. The tether app gets around the $10/mo tether fee and mirrors the droid GPS. So that just leaves bluetooth lacking in the setup for phone calls. Not that I need it on the Nook but would prefer to have it on the stereo as it's difficult to hear the speakerphone in the roadster.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Atl_Adam

I saw a silver 350z at Import Alliance this weekend in Atlanta that had the Samsung Galaxy Tablet mounted in the cubby with a bluetooth OBDII interface running the Torque Android app. Does anyone have more information surrounding this install? It seemed like a pretty slick setup.

Pictures would be appreciated!

-Adam
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM
goracerx

Oh, I ended up removing the glove box and inserting the 7" Magellan 9150LM with rear camera. It fits well but I intend on getting the OEM NAV cluster surround eventually.