Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Cubby tablet ideas? GPS, Kindle, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 AM
goracerx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Cubby tablet ideas? GPS, Kindle, etc.

I saw a few writes ups adding the Kenwood stuff, which is now discontinued. After pricing all the pieces separately and comparing to a new double din unit I can see why.

I thought of a 7" Garmin GPS but I don't believe the oem system has any kind of external input connections, so in a roadster it would be just as impossible to hear as my droid.

There's also a 7" tablet which would let you check email, watch blockbuster and possibly use google nav if you link to your smart phone 3or4g wifi. Same issues with oem stereo but may work with aftermarket. The bad part is even with the cell plugged in, the nav kills the battery.

Kindle touch 3g has text to speech and free 3g but no color and I can't tell if it's rotatable. I don't think it does anything but books

The last choice is the Kindle fire. I'm not a book reader but since it has text to speech I like it. It seems like I can hook up hte audio out to a Pioneer Z130bt audio in. Although, no video out, there still would be video on the unit. Moreover, it can be powered by the Pioneer's USB port. The downside being you need a smart phone hotspot.

I'm not sure if I would do the older slide up cover cubby or replace with the open style on the 06-09 with oem NAV. I think the older retractable cubby's have a different texture and color.

Oh, with the tablet and Kindle Fire it would need wireless (usb/bluetooth) gamepad connectivity for the passenger.

Last edited by goracerx; 11-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last I looked,the Z was a car.A car to be driven.
Maybe its just me,but why are you foolin around with all this tablet-display stuff to go in your cubby area?
You got the wrong priorites.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
Maybe its just me,but why are you foolin around with all this tablet-display stuff to go in your cubby area?
Then why ever do anything to the stereo?

Is this what you are looking for?

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...d-in-dash.html
Old 11-10-2011, 02:43 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your priorities and his may differ...
Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM
JeffJohnries

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are considering putting a F'ing kindle in your car.......
Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 PM
goracerx

I have a GT, not a track edition. I like the luxary and was looking for Porsche before I purchased the Roadster.

I prefer the stock stereo but I do not have NAV or bluetooth. Most people have smart phones, use email, facebook, texting etc. I'd rather intigrate it in to the car and be safer then fiddle with the phone while driving. I can have the kindle read my school book instead of listening to music. My priorities are in order.
The following users liked this post:
Ryan-350Z (01-04-2024)
Old 11-10-2011, 04:09 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by abarclay
Then why ever do anything to the stereo?

Is this what you are looking for?

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...d-in-dash.html
I saw that but no I don't want to replace the stereo with a tablet or do a carputer. I want to add a 7" tablet where the 7" oem NAV screen would be.

Originally Posted by JeffJohnries
You are considering putting a F'ing kindle in your car.......
lol
Old 11-10-2011, 04:26 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goracerx
I have a GT, not a track edition. I like the luxary and was looking for Porsche before I purchased the Roadster.

I prefer the stock stereo but I do not have NAV or bluetooth. Most people have smart phones, use email, facebook, texting etc. I'd rather intigrate it in to the car and be safer then fiddle with the phone while driving. I can have the kindle read my school book instead of listening to music. My priorities are in order.
??read you school book?what the f%^(* are you talkin about?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

??read you school book?what the f%^(* are you talkin about?
It’s not that difficult to figure out. goracerx wants a text to speech solution in his car. That makes sense to me.

--Spike
Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 PM
woodychai

Default nook color

how about nook color but you have to reprogram it. it will give you everything a samsung galaxy tablet does. or go with the galaxy tablet.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 PM
woodychai

I'm using the nook as a navigator in my car.
using Google map is much better than my garmin or stock navigator plus I can check my email and other online stuff if I need to. Hey 7" screen is better than 4" screen on my phone. just my 2 cent
Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by woodychai
I'm using the nook as a navigator in my car.
using Google map is much better than my garmin or stock navigator plus I can check my email and other online stuff if I need to. Hey 7" screen is better than 4" screen on my phone. just my 2 cent
I agree.

I remember when CarPC’s were a big deal. And, suggesting a laptop as a solution was scorned.

Tablets are ideal and eliminate the complexity of installing a jerry-rigged CarPC. I don’t think we are far from car’s having tablets installed as a factory option.

--Spike
Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by Spike100
I agree.

I remember when CarPC’s were a big deal. And, suggesting a laptop as a solution was scorned.

Tablets are ideal and eliminate the complexity of installing a jerry-rigged CarPC. I don’t think we are far from car’s having tablets installed as a factory option.

--Spike
This is true as even the OEM stereo's now have android type apps. The future will be 3g with a subscription. Currently I can get a 4g dongle form time warner for an extra $10 a month. I think the cell carriers will offer the same with stereo's. Yes we have capability for tether and hotspot but they charger extra for it.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Spike100

You make some good points. In a very short time Internet will be part of a car’s CES. Networks will certainly figure out how to make this affordable, and of course part of a “package.” This adds to the distracted driving dilemma. Your text-to-speech request is very sensible.

--Spike
Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 PM
3rd_gear

Get a tablet with android and bluetooth, buy a good obd bluetooth interface, and buy the Torque app, you now have a cool diagnostic tool.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:05 PM
woodychai

Default tablet in z

Just finish install Magellan 1700 in the cubby and noted that the GPS and Samsung tablet is just about the same size. Going to try to see if the tablet will fit.

It just fun to mess with all this stuff
Old 12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by 3rd_gear
Get a tablet with android and bluetooth, buy a good obd bluetooth interface, and buy the Torque app, you now have a cool diagnostic tool.
Now that is what i'm talking about! That app is the shiznet.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 PM
goracerx

Just finish install Magellan 1700 in the cubby and noted that the GPS and Samsung tablet is just about the same size. Going to try to see if the tablet will fit.

I was about to purchase the Magellan 9055 bundle with back up camera because of the AAA holiday discount. Are you still using the same cubby?

Unlike most people I actually like the stock stereo even though it lacks bluetooth and HD. CD's sound excellent, only the radio is weak. I don't care about usb or ipod connections. Maybe i'ts the 03-05 that have the crappy radios?

Anyhow the cubby covers with the sliding in tucked away covers are a different finish and color, right? I am debating one of those or the cluster for the OEM NAV unit but that leaves it open all the time and not hidden. Since the 9055 is 7" it should fit just right. Assuming I figure out how to mount it.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Ish99

Just installed mine as well and I love it.

Attached Thumbnails Cubby tablet ideas? GPS, Kindle, etc.-dscn1114.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by Ish99
Just installed mine as well and I love it.
Which one did you install? It looks like the 7" Magellan but I can't tell. You have the older cuby style that retracts inside. Mine lifts up like a visor. I was thinking of using that version but the finish looks different. It looks smooth and mine is a wrinkle finish.

Quick Reply: Cubby tablet ideas? GPS, Kindle, etc.